Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: New flounder limit

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    Yep,....
    I too love striking but it's never been about the number for me.
    I'm just as happy with a couple good fish.
    Older I get, the less time I have for it, as well as keeping up with light/gear, small generator maintenance.
    Haven’t gigged in probably 2 seasons and loved it when I did it. Priorities are else where these days. Mostly cant afford to be wore out the following day.

Stuck 1 nice flounder spear diving the other day, stuffed it with crab meat, and put it on grill with indirect heat. Made a fine meal.

The older I get the less desire I have cleaning a big ass pile of fish at the end of a long day (or the following day) as well. Starting to realize all the time and work I put into having fun. Call me old I guess. Even loading my truck to go dive the other day all I was thinking was damn Im creating an ass of work and spending some money for some fun. I will likely go again next free day I get .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    Yep,....
    I too love striking but it's never been about the number for me.
    I'm just as happy with a couple good fish.
    Liar liar pants on fire
    “The price of freedom is eternal vigilance” - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernWake View Post
    Were you proposing non residents would have to buy a license even if on a licensed charter?

In regards to the new limit, what were the main perspectives being argued? What did DNR recommend without taking political interests into account?

Also why the support for a restocking program that was determined to be an ineffective solution?

I guess I just am curious as to what all went into the decision and how the process went.
    It happens about the same as it does here. Someone decides to solve something. People who care pay attention. They give input. Compromises begin. Things settle out and you get a law.

SC has 6 fish saltwater fish we raise and release. How much do you believe the one day charters pay per year? $150. That averages one quarter per person for the year. Is that fair to a resident who supplements the put take system? Should guides sell the resource? Should regular taxpayers pay for us to have fish?

The guides know they had a great business model that was created in 1992. Is $150 fair today? Does it cover the current cost to raise fish? Should non-residents only donate 25 cents to the cause?

We needed to repair the Waddell center. They were at 50% capacity due to maintenance issues. I put 3.5 million into the budget necessary to fund the flounder program. Texas and Alabama are beginning to have some success with their hatchery. If it does not work we will have a super multiple species salt water hatchery that is properly funded into the future.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Tape View Post

The guides know they had a great business model that was created in 1992. Is $150 fair today? Does it cover the current cost to raise fish? Should non-residents only donate 25 cents to the cause?
    I like this paragraph. I think I’ll hold onto it for a while.

I did not propose an increased cost to the charter boats. I proposed non-residents buy a one day saltwater permit. Charter captains proposed the continuation of the same system but it still actually provides 50 cents per person while residents who fish on their own boat pay $10 for their one trip.

The charter system creates is good for tourism. Very little trickles down to the management of our fishery. While I can occasionally scrape away some money from the general fund I believe it is wiser to be self sustaining for the recreation we love.

I value the recreational fisherman above commercial, residents above non, and resource directed funds above scraps from each budget.

I value the recreational fisherman above commercial, residents above non, and resource directed funds above scraps from each budget.
    Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    Man is merely a two legged locust, devouring wild lands, developing and prostituting wildlife and fisheries under the guise of "use of the resource" for tremendous profit and moving on. Will it ever end?

So what is the the new Captain Fee?
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

Nice of them to take the opportunity...
    I got a letter that my commercial license will see near a 100% increase
    Willy....see above
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Yup I got the letter too. $275 is the new fee. I don’t have an issue with it if it gets used properly for fisheries management. I think legislators have a misconception about guides pillaging the resource though. Most guides are very conservation minded. It is how they make a living. I encourage catch and release on all redfish. I will let clients keep trout, black drum and the occasional flounder we catch. However I tell them to limit it to a meal or 2. Don’t fill the freezer. The majority of out of town guest have no way to keep or cook fish so they just catch and release. I only do it part time (15-20 trips/ year). Mostly family friends.

Yup I got the letter too. $275 is the new fee. I don’t have an issue with it if it gets used properly for fisheries management. I think legislators have a misconception about guides pillaging the resource though. Most guides are very conservation minded. It is how they make a living. I encourage catch and release on all redfish. I will let clients keep trout, black drum and the occasional flounder we catch. However I tell them to limit it to a meal or 2. Don’t fill the freezer. The majority of out of town guest have no way to keep or cook fish so they just catch and release. I only do it part time (15-20 trips/ year). Mostly family friends.

Quote Originally Posted by carolinadrifter View Post
    Yup I got the letter too. $275 is the new fee. I don’t have an issue with it if it gets used properly for fisheries management.
    Agreed...properly being the issue

I think legislators have a misconception about guides pillaging the resource though. Most guides are very conservation minded.
    Charter harvest is reported to DNR, how did the numbers compare to recreational numbers?
    I still want to know what DNR said is/are the major contributing factors to the current state of the population, as well as their recommendation before "compromises begin"

Why do you value recreational above the few commercial fisherman left? Do you like imported seafood?

$
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by Gut_Pile View Post
    So what is the the new Captain Fee?
    I will never address you as Captain / Reverend Willy G.

Never, ever.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Guiding is also good overall for tourism and the future of fishing. It exposes more people to the fishing experience. A fish that is valued will be protected.

Flounder populations continue to decline despite efforts to impose limits to improve natural reproduction. Most of us believe our population has been affected by commercial netting in NC. I value our recreational fishery more than their "right" to over harvest a declining shared resource.

I value the success of the recreational fisherman more than eating a flounder in a restaurant.

so, to summarize, money.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

I still want to know what DNR said is/are the major contributing factors to the current state of the population, as well as their recommendation before "compromises begin"
    Sooooooo

Guiding is also good overall for tourism and the future of fishing. It exposes more people to the fishing experience. A fish that is valued will be protected.

Flounder populations continue to decline despite efforts to impose limits to improve natural reproduction. Most of us believe our population has been affected by commercial netting in NC. I value our recreational fishery more than their "right" to over harvest a declining shared resource.

I value the success of the recreational fisherman more than eating a flounder in a restaurant.
    The new legislation I saw in NC looks significantly stricter (Rec and com) than anything we have here.

Most of us believe our population has been affected by commercial netting in NC.

NC residents are limited to a month of recreational catch of flounder.

NC has taken a step in the right direction but it is late and does not fully account for bycatch.

Increases to state saltwater fishing license fees take effect July 1
    COLUMBIA, S.C. (June 24, 2021) — Saltwater anglers fishing in South Carolina waters will begin paying more for their licenses beginning July 1, 2021. The change will affect both resident and non-resident recreational anglers, and saltwater charter fishing vessels.

The increase in the license fee passed by state lawmakers and signed into law by Gov. Henry McMaster earlier this month was one part of a comprehensive legislative package aimed at addressing overfishing of flounder that also included changes to size and bag limits, and the establishment of a new stocking program designed to help rebuild the state's flounder population over time.

For South Carolina residents, the cost of an annual saltwater recreational fishing license will increase from $10 to $15, bringing South Carolina’s saltwater recreational license fees for residents in line with neighboring states (GA: $15; NC: $16). This represents the first increase in the state's saltwater license fee in two decades. A complete list of new fees is outlined in the chart below.

The new regulations also include a minimum size limit of 16 inches and allow a catch limit of 5 fish per person per day and no more than 10 fish per boat per day. Previously, the minimum size limit was 15 inches, and the catch limit was 10 fish per person per day and 20 fish per boat per day. The new harvest limits will also take effect July 1, 2021.

Saltwater License Fees, Effective July 1

Fee

Resident – 14 Day

$10

Resident – Annual

$15

Resident – 3 Year

$45

Nonresident – 1 Day

$10

Nonresident – 7 Day

$35