Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 lumber prices on the rise

Default 2021 lumber prices on the rise

New year 2021 starts off with rising lumber prices in North America

In the first full week back to work of 2021, the latest data of housing construction and home sales out of the US shows a marked increase over the previous year. The economic indicators for future home building, and remodelling, are rosy. Macroeconomic conditions in the US remain murky, however there are two things that can be solidly stated even at this year part of the year: one is that home builders are reporting difficulty in finding lots for purchase. The other is that there is challenges finding additional workers to hire. Indeed, the latest US data release shows the 472,500 new residential construction jobs created from May through December 2020 offset the 456,800 jobs that were lost in April and May. As well, for full-year 2020, home building and remodelling added 57,200 net jobs in the US, said Madison’s Lumber Reporter.

The traditional slowdown associated with the Holiday Season was much shorter and smaller in magnitude than in previous years, according to Western S-P-F purveyors in the US. Demand did not wane; producers boosted their asking prices by double digits or more.

Canadian Western S-P-F producers reported demand tapered off at the end of 2020, partially due to lockdowns and curfews in Quebec, so sawmills tried to focus on selling into the US market. However, persistent lack of rail car supply caused logistical headaches, pushing delivery times into mid-March. Sawmill order files were already into the first week of February.

Unstoppable demand over the Holiday Season pushed prices relentlessly higher, for the week ending January 8, 2021 benchmark softwood lumber commodity item Western S-P-F KD 2x4 #2&Btr prices rose to US$944 mfbm, which is up another +$70, or +8%, over the previous week, said Madison’s Lumber Reporter. Last week's price is +$324, or +52%, more than it was one month ago when it was $620.

Compared to the price one-year-ago, of US$402 mfbm, last week benchmark softwood lumber item Western S-P-F KD 2x4 #2&Btr was selling for US$944 mfbm which is +$542, or +135% more.

The below table is a comparison of recent highs, in Sept 2020, and current January 2021 benchmark dimension Softwood Lumber 2x4 prices, compared to historical highs of June 2018 and compared to recent lows of September 2015:

https://www.lesprom.com/en/news/New_...America_97115/

Not a good time to be building a house!
    Low country redneck who moved north

I am building right now, I can attest to rising lumber prices along with rising everything else prices too.

Timber barons like 2th are rejoicing at the windfall they are seeing reflected at the stump...

Blocking foundation and letting it sit for a while

Thin and burn
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Timber barons like 2th are rejoicing at the windfall they are seeing reflected at the stump...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Ha.....there has been no windfall!
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

But, that can't be. Along with lumber, toilet paper is $9.00 and paper plates are through the roof. It must be because greedy people, like 2th, are charging more for their trees.

i wish.
    foresters have a unique way of locking in a price that isnt published anywhere....
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

2020- Capital gain=20%

2021 Capital gains= 40%

Not selling anything until around November 2021 after we see what damage Biden does to tax structure.

Norboard paid employees $36,000 bonuses flat across the board

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    i wish.
    foresters have a unique way of locking in a price that isnt published anywhere....
    And stealing trail cameras
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

and messing up roads

and the trash? holy shit.

Its all the foresters fault.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

We got property in Richland County that was being timbered last year. Don’t know if due to Covid or what, but the timber company quit before finished. Having a hard time now getting anyone to come in and finish the job. They were cutting hardwoods.

But they always say the place will be cleaner and roads in better shape than when they got there
    Last edited by Frank1; 01-18-2021 at 12:11 PM.

Let me get my popcorn
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

The last time this was discussed a few weeks back the story was that the loggers and timber owners were getting “50%” of what they did in 2019 and that the mills were soaking up the windfalls.

With the way prices are headed, the deck I was going to rebuild is going to be flagged off for non-use. This is absurd.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post
    The last time this was discussed a few weeks back the story was that the loggers and timber owners were getting “50%” of what they did in 2019 and that the mills were soaking up the windfalls.

With the way prices are headed, the deck I was going to rebuild is going to be flagged off for non-use. This is absurd.
    Knock it down and pour concrete. Zero maintenance

It's good for the mill owners too, I reckon.
    At least I'm housebroken.