Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Foam core boat project.

7362FF03-E06D-4CE8-9263-D4B958057190.jpg

Here is foam board with 2 layers of 1708 on each side from a quick project. Came out very strong.

Im digging the total boat fairing compound. From what im reading its good for above and below water and just paint it after applying a barrier coat. Might go that route for sure as far as fairing goes. Ordered west systems epoxy made for foam. So wont need to paint the foam. Going to chop strand matt glass the whole thing then use 6oz glass for the bottom. Planning on fairing the bottom half of boat then painting. Also picked up some marine plywood for the transom. With the foam being curved upwards and being held down with a weight, im going to have to glass the front half inside of the boat before i can take the weight of in order to flip the boat over. Even though its glued and screwed together it wants to push back down , maybe i curved it to sharp ( only front 38” is curved ) but will glass the front half then ill be able to turn it over to fix my transom

@SouthernWake that looks really good. Im planning on having my whole boat glassed this week and fix my transom with marine plywood. We will see how it turns out

@southernWake what epoxy did you use ?

Quote Originally Posted by birdman1992 View Post
    @southernWake what epoxy did you use ?
    I get my supplies locally from http://www.carbonfiberglass.com/ as they are off folly Rd., they also ship.

Both the total boat fairing and west systems epoxy are good products but you could spend significantly less buying bulk resin elsewhere and making your own compound.

What lamination schedule are you planning on doing? Mat then a single 6oz layer?
    You will also need to put fillets on your angles so the glass will bend as it doesn’t like sharp angles.
    Last edited by SouthernWake; 01-22-2021 at 06:08 AM.

I don't think marine grade ply is worth it here

I made a one man sneak boat years ago by stretching woven glass cloth over something like a foltboat frame and glassing it with polyester resin. I had wood stringers that should have been better wood. It lasted years but neglect, abuse and wood rot finally made it unusable. If the stringers had been made with the foam sheets like this original post, I'd still be fishing and hunting out of it.

I have wanted to build another using the method similar to making a surfboard with a solid foam core to make a positive mold, then popping a negative mold off of the top and bottom of that. With molds, I could pop out a new boat pretty easily. Where can one get large blocks of foam similar to that used for surfboards that would not dissolve in contact with epoxy or polyester resin?

Foam that does not dissolve when in contact with poly or vinyl resin is pretty pricy from what I have seen

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    I made a one man sneak boat years ago by stretching woven glass cloth over something like a foltboat frame and glassing it with polyester resin. I had wood stringers that should have been better wood. It lasted years but neglect, abuse and wood rot finally made it unusable. If the stringers had been made with the foam sheets like this original post, I'd still be fishing and hunting out of it.

I have wanted to build another using the method similar to making a surfboard with a solid foam core to make a positive mold, then popping a negative mold off of the top and bottom of that. With molds, I could pop out a new boat pretty easily. Where can one get large blocks of foam similar to that used for surfboards that would not dissolve in contact with epoxy or polyester resin?
    Depending how intricate the hull is, You could use a regular foam block and carve to what you want. Then layer of epoxy and use that as a positive mold to cast your poly/vinyl resin builds off.