Thread: Tree guys

Default Tree guys

Is CRP still available? For converting hayfield to longleaf?

There are a lot of programs available with cost share for long leaf. Check with NRCS, State Forestry Commission and the long leaf alliance. Everyone is different and different requirements but you can get some money someplace. In my opinion don’t plant them at a low density to begin with (300 tree/acre). I’d go for more of say 500-650 trees/acre. This will give you timber to thin later and keep you from having short squatty old field trees. Timber needs competition to grow against to put on good height growth and better tree form.
    More Ducks, Less People

Scquackaddict is correct. There are a few different avenues one can take. Plant at a higher density, usually plant 622 or even 726 in some cases. What county are you in?
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Calhoun

Default Tree guys

GMAC - I was recently awarded funding for Longleafs thru NRCS. Check with your local NRCS office.

Timber guys or wildlife biologists - Do you recommend planting longleafs at a higher density even when wildlife is the primary focus vs maximum timber potential?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Johnny Reb; 01-17-2021 at 05:22 PM.

I enrolled in a longleaf-specific NRCS program a few years ago. It was a 75% cost share on chemical site prep, burning, planting and a second burn after the first growing season. The 75% wasn’t based on how much it cost you, it was based on average market cost. There was no stipulation on planting density so I went around 600/acre. Contract ended after the second burn was complete so there was no long term obligations. If you have a burn cert or know someone in the business who can get the work done for less than market price, it’s a really good program.

And this was primarily wildlife with timber production being a distant second. But in the grand scheme, the cost of going from 400 to 600 per acre is nominal so I opted to go high to account for lower survival and potential fire kill and to get quicker canopy closure to minimize competition.
    Last edited by BowfinClassic; 01-17-2021 at 05:42 PM.

I would still advise to plant a higher density with wildlife in mind over timber production personally.

Edited to add: higher density being 622 (7x10) trees per acre.
    Last edited by smitch320; 01-17-2021 at 06:35 PM.
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

I've been thinking about looking into something similar also. Is there a minimum amount of acres to be eligible?

At those higher densities, what is your row width?

A 6x12 is 605 trees per acre. 12’ rows trees every 6’. A 7x10 is 10’ rows and 7’ between each tree, that gives you 622 trees per acre.

43560/7x10=622
    43560/6x12=605