Thread: Fun Hunt

Default Fun Hunt

Had our draw recently. Was a good time and the guy that took us to our spot put us where we needed to be. Majority of the ducks were BWT. I ended up with 3 BWT drakes and a Mottled Drake. My buddy killed a GWT drake, BWT hen, and the mottled hen. The staff was surprised to see the GWT as they said there had not been many. Was a fun hunt and we had ducks flying all morning. No good excuse for not killing our limits as we had opportunity, but even with that first flight excitement we did not burn through all our shells.

Killed my final BWT a few minutes after this picture, but I just killed the Mottled Drake and it shows him well.

Psalm 42:1 "As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God."

Nice, looks like a good day- where were you drawn?

Nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not a thing wrong with that!

Nice hunt.

I'm jealous. Despite all the coastal hunts I've been on and still never harvested a mottled.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by willyworm; 01-18-2021 at 12:26 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Nice bwt drakes. I love killing mottleds. Good hunt.
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

Good hunt! Its obvious weather is also playing a part in the duck numbers. Last couple years been seeing alot of bluewings killed in January.
    "I'm just a victim of a circumstance"

We were fortunate on the mottled. After not getting a shot first thing we figured we may not have a chance at any. The guy next to us kept flaring them with a mallard call. Fortunately the pair flared on him and came toward us. I worked the jerk and they started lowering. I shot the drake as they were coming down into the decoys and folded him. The hen landed a bit out of range but never got up. The ducks started landing farther from us so we made a move to get closer around 9:45. We got set up and waited a bit. It got about 10:15 and I went and started picking up while my buddy stayed. I guess she worked her way down there through the grass as she finally got up in front of him and he shot her when she got off the water.I killed the drake about 9:00 and he killed her about 10:20ish.
    Last edited by davisd9; 01-17-2021 at 09:06 AM.
    Psalm 42:1 "As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God."

Quote Originally Posted by davisd9 View Post
    The guy next to us kept flaring them with a mallard call.
    Why does this not surprise me.

Quote Originally Posted by davisd9 View Post
    I killed the drake about 9:00 and he killed her about 10:20ish.
    Nice! Patience paid off. Were there no other shots in between?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

I killed my last BWT drake and my buddy killed his GWT between the two mottled. We had decent action all morning.
    Last edited by davisd9; 01-17-2021 at 07:18 PM.