Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Coot massacre

Ketchup, plenty of ketchup.

They are herbivores, so why not? I to have heard they're good table fare. Back in the day when we had hydrilla and the coots were thick I never could bring myself to try em. Shoulda known better.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Folks will fight you for poule d'eau in S. Louisiana. I shoot 'em and eat em too. Y'all are missing out.

Just make sure they're dead when you grab em or they claw the crap out of you like a wildcat.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    Folks will fight you for poule d'eau in S. Louisiana. I shoot 'em and eat em too. Y'all are missing out.

Just make sure they're dead when you grab em or they claw the crap out of you like a wildcat.
    Should have left that last tip out some lessons are meant to be learned by experience.

Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post

I’ll see your half dead coot fight and raise you a gallinule...that bastard has some claws.

Cajun friends would wait till the wind was sufficient to push the coots up into a cove in the marsh then they would run in at them in several boats and slaughter a pile. They ate them a couple of times a year and one old guy only wanted the legs he would stand on them and pull the legs loose. They loved their poule d'eau.
    My vote is for half-dead Pheasant. grabbed one in NODAK and he cut my hand open with his foot before I knew what was going on.
    It was a three dog night, and I ain't got but one dog, me and him both damn near froze.

I’ll second the pheasant. I was about 12 and I picked up a “dead” one. I was holding him up in the air by his legs having a look at him, when his eyes popped open and he proceeded to whoop the bajeezus out of me

I’ve heard the trick to coots is clean them fairly quick.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckyTownsend View Post
    I’ve heard the trick to coots is clean them fairly quick.
    I found that not shooting them works the best.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

It's probably as exciting as shooting a skeet course

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    It's probably as exciting as shooting a skeet course
    at the rate the duck population and oppurtunities dwindle don't be surprised when coot hunting takes off
    " You can't catch the Rona if you already the Illest " - J ROC

Quote Originally Posted by wskinner View Post
    I’ll second the pheasant. I was about 12 and I picked up a “dead” one. I was holding him up in the air by his legs having a look at him, when his eyes popped open and he proceeded to whoop the bajeezus out of me
    The only bird I've gone unarmed against and knew within a half secind that I made a horrible mistake was a mute swan. The rednecks egging me on told me to walk up to it like I was it's boss. It turned into mass hysteria pretty quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by wskinner View Post
    I remember watching a squirrel come back to life in my buddies vest when we were young. He didn’t get hurt but damn it was funny.
    Quote Originally Posted by squatty View Post
    R. Not
    So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in him, rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness. —Colossians 2:6–7

Fucker had like a six foot reach when he instantly lunged at my thigh, he bit down and starting twisting. I went into a flailing slapping, punching, and cussing fest.

Probably taste better than most ducks shot on the coast around here

Coot shooting can be sporty as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by FishSticker View Post
    I clicked on this thinking it was written in the sports forum and happened in Columbia...
    Thought the same thing.

Yall ain't done shit till you try to catch a full grown doe deer, bare handed, in the corner of a 8ft tall chainlink fenced enclosure. Bitch almost killed me. I was young and dumb once, but I learned some valuable lessons.
    Crops are harvested, animals are killed.

How about a wounded Sandhill Crane? Thankful I didn’t have a dog with me when I walked up on the first one I shot in TX.