Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pears

Default Pears

I have a guy down the road who has planted some trees for me with his skidsteercat spade and did a good job. I want to buy some really good pear trees, as big as possible, and do not mind traveling to GA/TN/SC/NC to get them. Any ideas on where to start looking?

Maybe Hallman Farms in Little Mountain, but I really don't know.

Check with Dothan Trees in Cameron. Ask for Carson.

Go talk to Benny hallman in little mountain. He will hook you up. He told me he would dig one up for me if needed. Excellent dude and quite the duck hunter from what I understand

ETA he has at least half a dozen variety's of my memory serves me
    Last edited by TheVisorGuy; 01-13-2021 at 10:15 PM.
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Good pear tree with a few figs is where it’s at

Quote Originally Posted by TheVisorGuy View Post
    Go talk to Benny hallman in little mountain. He will hook you up. He told me he would dig one up for me if needed. Excellent dude and quite the duck hunter from what I understand

ETA he has at least half a dozen variety's of my memory serves me
    Second this. He developed a number of varieties that will drop different times in the fall. Benny is out right now with some health issues but his son is there. JAB let me know if you need his sons contact info to see what he has available.

Thanks and I will check them out. I am looking for really good people pears to clarify, not to feed deer and such...

Quote Originally Posted by SCSwitchback View Post
    Second this. He developed a number of varieties that will drop different times in the fall. Benny is out right now with some health issues but his son is there. JAB let me know if you need his sons contact info to see what he has available.
    What happened to Benny? I was just there last week. He walked me for 2 hours in the pouring rain hand picking 40 trees for me

Asian pears are incredible.

we have three varieties at BG. hallman farms from 15 years ago? maybe johnson or belly could confirm. 2 of 3 are edible to humans. they are good.

i've put cameras out near them when they drop and dont get deer pics but coyotes sure love them....
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I have a guy down the road who has planted some trees for me with his skidsteercat spade and done a good job. I want to buy some really good pear trees, as big as possible, and do not mind traveling to GA/TN/SC/NC to get them. Any ideas on where to start looking?
    Rusty Mangrum in McMinnville TN - he’s a wealth of knowledge. Call him to discuss and mention the referral.
    “The price of freedom is eternal vigilance” - Thomas Jefferson

3rds or 4ths with Kenny Hallman in little mountain. We’ve planted the trophy pear and Stoney hill with great success. If you can’t get their office I can pm you his cell #.

Mmmm...roasted pear with blue cheese.

yum

we have some Asians and others in our orchard.. it's like a buffet, one where my father believes should be an oasis and with zero deer stands.. but I go in there and graze from time to time

I have a client that has a pear tree that has THE BEST pears I’ve ever eaten. I believe it is an English cultivar, I will ask and get back to you.

I planted a bunch of those trophy pears 15 years ago. They got killed back every year by spring frost and eventually died. That's when Edward fort sold em.

We have Bartlett and Kieffers for eating, if I remember right. Anjou is another variety I've seen. Some are blight resistant. Hallmans had lots of varieties.

I got stone hill and low country's

I bought a couple of Pear trees and a couple of apple trees from Southern States. I planted them at the farm. The apple trees did so so, but the pear trees grew and every year the produced so many that they broke limbs from their weight. I think they were Bartlett.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Catdaddy; 01-14-2021 at 08:04 PM.

McKenzie Farms in Scranton. They're having their 3 trees for $25 annual sale now (figs, pears, plums, peaches, pomegranates, muscadines, and apples. Their selection is good and many of the trees have been graphed for growing well in SC (lots of citrus).
    https://www.facebook.com/17440513590...19377931407397