Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Cape

Hunted Murphy island yesterday. Lots of ducks but very decoy shy. Was cloudy but had decent wind. We still managed limits.

Quote Originally Posted by Gone South View Post
    Zero wind, warm, sunny bluebird day, it was slow after the first hour.

The greenjeans wanted to write us a ticket for shooting over the limit in pintails.... not sure how you mistake a GADWAL DRAKE as a pintail hen.
    Its happened to me several times especially when shooting ringnecks, bluebills, and red head hens. There were plenty of times anyone could have gotten away shooting 6 bluebills with the guy that checked me. He literally picked up a hen greenwing and held it up and said what do you call these little guy's.
    "I'm just a victim of a circumstance"

Use something to help u walk. Super soft.

We were there Tuesday also and had the same game warden check us and he couldn’t figure out how to get the shells out of our guns after loading to check for plugs. Even took out a knife to try and pry one out of the mag tube before we had to take it from him to unload ourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by GamecockTD57 View Post
    We were there Tuesday also and had the same game warden check us and he couldn’t figure out how to get the shells out of our guns after loading to check for plugs. Even took out a knife to try and pry one out of the mag tube before we had to take it from him to unload ourselves.
    Lord help us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Gone South View Post
    He told us to hang on and he went to get one of the biologists. Walked back with her and showed both our pintails then picked up the gadwal drakes and asked her “this is a pintail hen correct?”

His excuse was he usually just sees wood ducks and the occasional mallard where he works.....
    That’s a lame excuse if I’ve ever heard one. ITS YOUR JOB TO KNOW. Wonder how many tickets he’s written for over the limit birds that the hunter didn’t know either or was afraid to speak up...?

Let’s be honest, becoming a GW doesn’t require much.

Same with street cops.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post

Same with street cops.
    Yeah, let’s do that. Honestly, I don’t know how many times you’ve been punched in the mouth for saying dumb shit like this, but it obviously hasn’t been enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Bog ain't wrong this go round

That was hard to say.

Default The Cape

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post

Same with street cops.
    Correct, becoming one doesn’t require much. The only prerequisites, prior to training, that i can think of are a clean record and a willingness to put yourself in harms way (I don’t carry a badge so don’t quote me on that). However, it doesn’t take long for you to out yourself if you don’t fit the bill or don’t know simple laws that you are required to enforce.

I’d be damned if I knew I was going to check birds at a lottery hunt that I would know what was what. If I didn’t, I’d have the LeMaster Method waterfowl book in my back pocket. I would atleast google it before I made a fool of myself. For fucks sake it’s not hard, in hand hand no less...outside of hen scaup and redheads, the 2 goldeneye species, and a mottle/black, how the hell do you not know?! If a hunter is expected to be able identify on the wing, a warden should be able to identify in hand without question.

Last edited by TXFowler; 01-22-2021 at 11:29 PM.

Ok, so let’s lump em all together because of one or two dumbasses. Good plan.....
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Quote Originally Posted by FEETDOWN View Post
    Ok, so let’s lump em all together because of one or two dumbasses. Good plan.....
    No kidding. The wardens that I know well, do what they do because they’re passionate about it. They like being outdoors, care about our resources, and enjoy hunting people. It takes a lot of dedication, because they darn sure aren’t getting rich. Hats off to DNR for putting the ones that aren’t ready or capable of regular warden duties in charge of things like counting shells at draw hunts. Other than getting picked on by internet cowboys, they can’t really screw things up.
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    Other than getting picked on by internet cowboys, they can’t really screw things up.
    If bog was a cowboy he’d be riding a miniature pony.

Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

Best picture ever taken at the Cape.
    Daughters youth hunt, age 12. 2005.
    AC0C856E-0C05-4FE9-A6DD-21C719FFC94B.jpeg
    Quote Originally Posted by trentsmith View Post
    Honestly I don't remember why I don't like you but I do remember that I don't like you.

Quote Originally Posted by FEETDOWN View Post
    I don’t see where anybody is “lumping them all together.” Yes, the majority of GW that I have encountered have been extremely knowledgeable, courteous, professional, and like minded people. Most of us know the dedication it requires to be in law enforcement period and have nothing but respect for those in a uniform or badge.

Most I’ve met know that you can’t shoot dock ducks

Not making this up I actually had a game warden drive up to the shop I was working at and ask me how to measure the outside spread of his first buck he killed.....I’m not kidding....he was serious because I asked him if he was serious and he kinda got mad at me....
    When in doubt, shoot him again!

Work like it's all up to me, but pray, like it's all up to him!

I’ll admit that I’ve had more bad experiences with wardens than good in the last decade. It seems like those that replaced the old guard aren’t/weren’t sportsmen or sportswomen before they took the job and didn’t receive much on the job training before being turned loose on the public.

The one that sticks with me the most is literally being blocked in on a busy boat ramp for an hour while rooting through everything I owned. I was pulling my boat up the ramp when she stopped her truck across the ramp in front of me. She kept looking at a book the whole time. I finally ran out of patience and asked her what she was doing and she mentioned that you can only have two females of certain duck species. I had a limit of greenwing teal.

I’m sure there’s more good than bad ones out there, but I’ll be damned if I would be willing to work duck hunters without the ability to identify common duck species in our area. I’d be ashamed if I was her supervisor.