Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Squirrel Gun

Quote Originally Posted by rp View Post
    I never thought it was that hard to drop the rotary magazines. What does the extension actually do?
    The new design is not hard to drop the mag on at all, I was worried it would catch on my game vest, hit my back just right while bouncing through the woods and I’d be without a mag when I pulled up the gun to shoot.
    The extended mag release is just a little more slim line and less east to get bumped, IMO. If you hit that lever the mag is dropping to the floor ( this happens with factory and aftermarket mag releases), it can be fixed by removing some metal from the magazine release lever gun which in turns allows the spring loaded plunger to come farther forward and hold the mag in place tighter. I may work on that this evening,. I turned the set screw for the trigger all the way out and it’s really crisp now.

Haven’t been able to mount my scope yet because I’m wanting to leave the rear sight on. There’s a dove tail cut into the gun but in order to mount the scope id have to slide it so far forward for the front to clear the sight my eye relief isn’t right. Going to try picking up a one piece rail tomorrow to mount to it and I’m hoping that will give me the extra smidgen of height I’m needing
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Do you really think you will ever need to use the iron sights in an emergency? Drift that sucker out and put it back after the apocalypse starts. Until then, you'll never miss it. Nowadays, a squirrel rifle should have a scope. At squirrel ranges, it matters having the scope as close to the bore as possible so you don't shoot under them on the really close shots.

The only rifle I have iron sights on is a Winchester model 94 and I think it points instinctively enough I could kill without them. Other than that, my eyes are too old to focus on three planes.

Most of my pistols still have iron sights and the mini dot scopes are really getting hard to resist. I have the same dilemma with my M&P. To put a dot scope on it, I need to get the slide milled. The options are replace the iron sights with high ones so it will co-witness with the dot and see over a can or cut the dovetail out, mount the scope farther back and lower and lose the iron sights completely. I remember falling for the "see-through" scope mounts fallacy years ago. I am leaning toward glass optics only. If I was expecting CQB, I might consider keeping the iron sights. In real life, if my scope quits or fogs up, I'll grab another gun or go home.

I’m still leaning toward leaving the rear sight in unless I can’t find what I need tomorrow
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...