Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Bands

Default Bands

Maybe I am missing something but bands are not a trophy to me at all.... I think it is cool and important to a degree that birds are banded and I enjoy hearing the history on the bird but its a piece of metal on a duck leg. The uniqueness may help me remember more details of the hunt which is what a lot of my mounts do. For me with ducks any trophy is in the actual bird itself and I am currently looking for a few more to put on my wall.

As I get older I limit my outdoor activities to a smaller crowd but one thing that kind of irks me is when the first thing someone wants to do is take a picture. Don’t get me wrong, I am all for taking pictures for memories but there is a big difference and you can generally tell when someone just says hey please take a pic of whatever versus them getting a full on hard on demanding a pic. The latter is most certainly going on social media for self validation purposes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Islandguy85; 01-14-2021 at 10:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Islandguy85 View Post
    Maybe I am missing something but bands are not a trophy to me at all.... I think it is cool and important to a degree that birds are banded and I enjoy hearing the history on the bird but its a piece of metal on a duck leg. The uniqueness may help me remember more details of the hunt which is what a lot of my mounts do. For me with ducks any trophy is in the actual bird itself and I am currently looking for a few more to put on my wall.

As I get older I limit my outdoor activities to a smaller crowd but one thing that kind of irks me is when the first thing someone wants to do is take a picture. Don’t get me wrong, I am all for taking pictures for memories but there is a big difference and you can generally tell when someone just says hey please take a pic of whatever versus them getting a full on hard on demanding a pic. The latter is most certainly going on social media for self validation purposes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    For me Different aspects of each hunt are special to me...today may be the new dog made a good retrieve un assisted. Or killed a double, funky colored bird or really anything that stands out as different to me. I try to take pictures of every hunt because I’m horrible about writing it down in my book...a picture reminds me later when I sit down to fill out my book. As far as bands being a trophy. I don’t covet them like some guys and get obsessed over a 150” whitetail. I’ve never had great luck with deer hunting. However even though I’ll never have a story of how I hunted her year after year before finally being harvested 11.5 years later after being banded. But the stories that wood duck could tell is mind boggling....and is what’s super cool to me.

I would rather kill a duck that has a band that is old than a state record whitetail...everybody is different

As far as self validation I realize I fall into that sometimes especially when I have a good day....but I don’t intend it to say I’m better than you ha ha....I like seeing pictures of dead ducks and a bunch of my friends feel the same way so I post pictures.
    When in doubt, shoot him again!

Work like it's all up to me, but pray, like it's all up to him!

Shot ducks from 1972 until. Some years a bunch, some years only once or twice-some years not at all, never traveled to duck hunt- zero bands for me- had hunt partners kill banded birds.

Buddy sitting to my left killed one this morning from saskatchewan...hatched n 2019
    If it aint got 8 toes & a green head,it aint a duck.

Need pic haha