Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bands

I’ve killed 3 banded wood ducks, two out of the same swamp and one 5 miles away. 2010, 2011 and 2018, all were banded in Ontario and killed near Conway.

Where are all the guys sporting scwa bands?

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    Haha. I’ve got a dozen or so over the years they banded them. Most were local clubs that used scwa bands if I recall. Last banded scwa was atleast 12 years ago if not more.
    Go Tigers!!!

I took Upstate Angler duck hunting for the first time in his life and first duck he killed was banded. Y’all suck.
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.

From 06’-now I’ve got one that I shot by myself. Drake woodduck in 2013, banded 2012 in Ontario. Oh yeah Dove band that year too, banded 2010 In McClellanville. 7 other times had one shot in our group, (2 drake mallards, 3 drake woodducks, drake ringneck, drake gw teal. No hens haha

Quote Originally Posted by Drylok View Post
    Was that hen really banded in 2009 or is that a typo?

I guess a duck could get that old. I shot a woodie drake that was six years old and banded as an adult.
    If canvasbacks can live 3 decades, why can't a woodie live 2 decades?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Dang right bud! Congrats

Quote Originally Posted by WNM View Post
    Pretty cool. For curiosity's sake, if you've shot a banded bird before, approximately how many birds did you have between it/them and these two? I've read numbers on here before of people's odds from their personal experience, but I can't remember them.

I shot two wood duck bands almost exactly a year apart in the same spot. I've check extra close around December 19th each year since, but the bands must have been on the birds I missed.

Edit: That's an old wood duck!
    In the grand scheme of things I really don't kill that many ducks per year, maybe hunt 20-25 days on average. So maybe it's all luck but I can't recall a season where I didn't kill a banded bird or at least been on a hunt where one was killed. I've killed several wood ducks, mallards, and at least one teal. A couple that stands out the most is a banded red head that a buddy and I tag teamed and a banded dove that came out of a 200+ bird shoot. That band was so small I dropped it in between the seats of my truck and haven't seen it since.

I’d be taking the seats out lol
    Quote Originally Posted by BOG View Post
    Tip:
    Although it is natural for you and seems to be out of your hands, try to suppress your natural inclination towards dumbassedness and do some research of your own.I wish you luck.
    Tekton Game Calls
    http://tektongamecalls.com

Quote Originally Posted by HEAD View Post
    Wye Mills? Only thing other than bander info and that’s a blanket that covers the whole state
    yep. there is a refuge there. good stuff!
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post

I didn’t know any of them lived that long.

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post

Most folks don't target Cans. ( anymore) used to be the King of Divers. Limited areas they live and migrate to.. Great table fare. I kill everyone I get the chance at. Best Can shoot I ever had was at Walpole Island. Lost a coin toss there on a Can hen that was banded. 11 years old if memory serves. The band looked new.

Second best was in a AR ricefield. We had a small squadron strafe us and when they swung back around, we killed every damn one of them.

Wood ducks get hammered everywhere they are found. That is a factor.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by nitro5x6's View Post
    Most folks don't target Cans. ( anymore) used to be the King of Divers. Limited areas they live and migrate to.. Great table fare. I kill everyone I get the chance at. Best Can shoot I ever had was at Walpole Island. Lost a coin toss there on a Can hen that was banded. 11 years old if memory serves. The band looked new.

Second best was in a AR ricefield. We had a small squadron strafe us and when they swung back around, we killed every damn one of them.

Wood ducks get hammered everywhere they are found. That is a factor.
    I was on my best Canvasback shoot to date last week. It was unbelievable. Sitting in a flight line of thousands. Don't call, don't move, just sit and wait for a group to mess up and skirt the decoys to close and pick out the biggest bull out of the bunch. A hunt I won't soon forget.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I acquired a zip lock bag full of new SCWA bands back in college. Dad took the whole bag and put them on his lanyard, at least 100, as a joke. It was good for a good laugh.

I've killed 1 banded goose in my life. In 25 years of hunting, I've killed a dump truck load of ducks and never even been on a hunt where a banded duck (other than a SCWA) was killed.
    Last edited by SaltMuck; 01-14-2021 at 09:06 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

I have hunted waterfowl a good bit for 20yrs or so. Mostly in SC with exception of 2 Canada trips. Some years more than less depending on opportunities and schedule. To my recollection I have never shot a banded bird (maybe a dove when I was younger but cant remember for sure). Have been on a few hunts where banded birds were killed but thats as close as it has gotten for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see anywhere from 400 - 700 birds die a year, for the last 6 or 7 years. Before that it was around 50-100 birds a year for 12 years.

I’ve seen one banded mallard, 1 banded wood duck, 1 banded specklebelly out of all of those birds. I killed the mallard. Including international hunts I’ve seen another thousand or so ducks killed and thousands upon thousands of dove, pigeon, and parakeet killed. I’ve seen one banded pigeon in Africa.

All that to say, if you put any stock in killing a banded bird, don’t go with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Quack07 View Post
    I was on my best Canvasback shoot to date last week. It was unbelievable. Sitting in a flight line of thousands. Don't call, don't move, just sit and wait for a group to mess up and skirt the decoys to close and pick out the biggest bull out of the bunch. A hunt I won't soon forget.
    I'm envious. I love the sound they make inflight.

Back in the day it was a five hour trip for me to Lake Seminole. We shot Cans there often. Now, I 'm not even sure that huntable numbers get there.

SW Louisiana was always a top place for a fully colored up Bull. Probably still is, but I just don't care to go these days. Killed quite a few of them on the Columbia River in WA too.. they typically fly 4-5 feet off the deck there. The blinds we hunt on the Columbia are elevated off the water high enough that you can shoot down on them. That is sporty.

I need to reevaluate and get back after it or give up.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

I've got three summerduck bands - all in the same place, one teal, and one mallard over my years. that's it, it doesn't bother me. The scwa band joke was a joke, I knew a guy once that invited me to a place.. his conversation went from there to how many bands I would kill, I never went. Another guy confronted me about a fundraiser several years back as well, and his big push were bands. Saying that he'd killed a few, and he figured I had killed enough banded ducks.. so he threw out, he's helping scwa because he wants his son to have the ability to collect bands just like we have. When I told them they quit banding years back, I don't think he believed me. I've seen several more killed. I don't fight or fuss over them. I couldn't think of a realistic number of doves that I've killed, I've never killed a banded dove. honestly I never looked for them until six or seven years ago. I can't eat them

What y’all marinate them bands in? Seems they would hurt your teeth.

I’ve been lucky with recovering bands in all 4 flyways, Alaska, Montana, Kentucky and South Carolina. Also have a 100 dollar reward band!