1. Who has one?

2. How hard was it to get?

3. How long did it take?

4. Was it worth your time?

Holla back.

Had it.

Easy to get

Couple weekends

Its worth it if you are gonna use it. Lots of money just to say you have one.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I can eat a bowl of alphabet soup and shit out a thought process better than the vast majority of you clemmings.

Got it
    Not too bad to get
    Worth every penny if you use it

Sent from my SM-S205DL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Goin Coastal View Post
    Had it.

Easy to get

Couple weekends

Its worth it if you are gonna use it. Lots of money just to say you have one.

Duplicate this for me....I had mine back in the mid-90's when we were doing some "for hire" work. No need for me to keep it up these days. Let it go 10 or so years back.

It doesn't save you any money on insurance or anything like that....and it was a pretty substantial laundry list of requirements for renewals...CPR, First Aid, TWIC Card, sea service forms, drug test, physcial, etc, etc

Make sure you have your hours documented/logged and you meet the recent "record of underway service" for your Sea Service requirement.

ETA: 25years ago, I went though Sea School here in Chas...not sure if that is even still an option.
    Last edited by FishSticker; 01-13-2021 at 11:54 AM.

Got mine through sea school 3 years ago. Did the back to back Friday, Sat, Sun classes. Easy if you are a knowledgeable boater and can use a compass. Hardest test section was the Rules of the Road. I think the final cost was somewhere in the $1200-$1500 range. I run a few fishing charters here and there as a side business otherwise I wouldn’t have bothered getting it. You are subject to random drug testing.

1. Who has one?
    Me, 1600t oceans
    The OUPV(6pack) wasn’t hard

3. How long did it take?
    Not long did the 6 pack/100 ton at sea school in Chas
    Yup.

Quote Originally Posted by FishSticker View Post
    Duplicate this for me....I had mine back in the mid-90's when we were doing some "for hire" work. No need for me to keep it up these days. Let it go 10 or so years back.

It doesn't save you any money on insurance or anything like that....and it was a pretty substantial laundry list of requirements for renewals...CPR, First Aid, TWIC Card, sea service forms, drug test, physcial, etc, etc

Make sure you have your hours documented/logged and you meet the recent "record of underway service" for your Sea Service requirement.

ETA: 25years ago, I went though Sea School here in Chas...not sure if that is even still an option.
    This. MG
    Dum Spiro Spero

I have one, use it for work.

A couple headaches but make sure you have the check list with everything Fish said. That will help.

Ill echo drifter in the test part.

Sea school does offer an online portion if you can dedicate yourself so that, it is cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ_11 View Post
    I have one, use it for work.

A couple headaches but make sure you have the check list with everything Fish said. That will help.

Ill echo drifter in the test part.

Sea school does offer an online portion if you can dedicate yourself so that, it is cheaper.

TJ,

You on the fire boat??

Quote Originally Posted by FishSticker View Post
    TJ,

You on the fire boat??
    Yes sir.

I did mine independently/not in a classroom, the material and test was not bad. The medical was a pain to get completed, TWIC was like going to the DMV.

3. How long did it take?
    In total, a few months (most time consuming was the medical process)

Absolutely, need it for work. I would not do it otherwise.

In summary the easiest way to go is the all included classes.

Sea school Charleston has a local doctor who has his license come one day during class and give physicals if you please. I think he charged 25 or $50 bucks. Takes Venmo. Easy process. Sea school is for sure the smoothest route. They will review your application for $20 I believe and send it to the coast guard. They have many connections in Coast Guard offices so your app gets through fairly quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by carolinadrifter View Post
    Sea school Charleston has a local doctor who has his license come one day during class and give physicals if you please. I think he charged 25 or $50 bucks. Takes Venmo. Easy process. Sea school is for sure the smoothest route. They will review your application for $20 I believe and send it to the coast guard. They have many connections in Coast Guard offices so your app gets through fairly quickly.
    This is pretty key info.

I did not know this and had to go to a GP, optometrist, and audiologist independently. I ended up WAY over screened for what I needed.