Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My Covid Experience

Default My Covid Experience

Figured I’d share my experience with the brain trust. My daughter was exposed to Covid and subsequently tested positive for Covid. She tested positive on a rapid test on a Tuesday and the whole family tested on Wednesday with the regular test. My daughter tested positive again and the other 3 of us tested negative. DHEC told us we could test out of quarantine after 7 days of exposure. All 3 of us tested negative again with the regular test.

So here’s the rest. We didn’t isolate one bit. I shared food with the positive daughter, she sat in my lap multiple hours, etc. Here are my conclusions about our experience

1. DHEC is a cluster. They tell people different things about quarantine. You can’t get a straight answer on anything. If you called 3 times you’d get 3 different answers.
    2. One of the following must be true about Covid: 1. Asymptotic people can’t transmit the virus. 2. The test is highly susceptible to false positive 3. The virus is not easily transmitted. One of those has to be true if I look at my experience
    3. How can a naturally occurring virus downright kill people and some people can’t even catch it, or if they do, be completely asymptotic?

Just some thoughts I had during our quarantine. I’m extremely grateful we faired really well with the virus. I know some people don’t have that luxury.Christmas was very different for us this year being stuck at the house, but it was nice not having to go all over the place.
    Last edited by Remy; 01-02-2021 at 10:35 AM.

DHEC is a hot mess. Glad y'all came out ok...

Glad to hear y’all didn’t have it any worse. DHEC is a cluster in every dept, and likely always will be.

I can’t necessarily agree with #2 part 3 about it not being highly contagious. We had the opposite in our home. I had it bad for 7 days and another 7 days with cold symptoms, 3 kids had mild symptoms for 3 days, wife had none. Church Christmas finger food party shut down church for 2 weeks after an outbreak a few days afterwards. It’s wild how this thing operates and spreads.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

Glad you are over it and healthy.

I had it this past week, first day and a half were rough, fever, chills, and aches. Couldn't do much.

After the third day I was able to get out and walk with pup about an hour a day.

No idea where I picked it up. 4days after first symptoms, fever free with no meds. Still a little winded after exertion but overall back to 98% of previous.

33yo, generally pretty healthy.

No idea where I got it. Have been the most restricted and careful in the two weeks leading up to Christmas that we have been the whole time due to seeing grandparents for Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by SaltMuck View Post
    Glad to hear y’all didn’t have it any worse. DHEC is a cluster in every dept, and likely always will be.

I can’t necessarily agree with #2 part 3 about it not being highly contagious. We had the opposite in our home. I had it bad for 7 days and another 7 days with cold symptoms, 3 kids had mild symptoms for 3 days, wife had none. Church Christmas finger food party shut down church for 2 weeks after an outbreak a few days afterwards. It’s wild how this thing operates and spreads.
    Yeah it is weird different families have different experiences. I’m just saying one of the 3 have to be true after I actively tried to get the virus with no luck.

I’ve had symptoms since the Tuesday before Christmas. I’m still not anywhere near 100%...walking up and down stairs or even showering is absolutely exhausting for me. My dad has it as well and is just starting to get over it. My mom is currently on day 5 in the hospital with it. She is showing signs of improvement but not quick enough for us. The only one who didn’t get it in the family is my brother. It definitely hit people differently!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

I’m convinced we had it in late January early February. Hit me hard like the flu with fever, cramps and horrible coughing. Wife and kids had mild symptoms with cough and lethargy. Doctor said it was “something viral”.. Fast forward to nearly a year later, we’re living with her parents during a complete home renovation. Nearly her whole family test positive (all mild symptoms with both grandparents being 70+) after Christmas gatherings. We cordon off one side of the house and take reasonable precautions but were in very close contact days leading up to the family testing positive. We have tested negative every time and have had no symptoms. The CDC cites reinfection as “unlikely and rare” with first believed reinfections caused by false positives.. which corroborates our experience thus far.
    “Get out among the mountains and trees, friend, as soon as you can. They will do more for you than either man or woman could.” Theodore Roosevelt to John Muir after his wife's passing in 1905.

I don't want to take no chances. I don't want it
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by Remy View Post
    3. How can a naturally occurring virus downright kill people and some people can’t even catch it, or if they do, be completely asymptotic?
    90% of people infected with Tuberculosis dont get sick. Asking scduckers to explain viral/bacterial pathology and how its affects different people and their bodies is a guaranteed way to get a bunch of uneducated answers.

Now if you want to complain about DHEC.... then you can probably find a number of experienced folks around here that can help with that.
    Last edited by tman; 01-02-2021 at 12:52 PM.
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

Quote Originally Posted by tjm84 View Post
    I’m convinced we had it in late January early February. Hit me hard like the flu with fever, cramps and horrible coughing. Wife and kids had mild symptoms with cough and lethargy. Doctor said it was “something viral”.. Fast forward to nearly a year later, we’re living with her parents during a complete home renovation. Nearly her whole family test positive (all mild symptoms with both grandparents being 70+) after Christmas gatherings. We cordon off one side of the house and take reasonable precautions but were in very close contact days leading up to the family testing positive. We have tested negative every time and have had no symptoms. The CDC cites reinfection as “unlikely and rare” with first believed reinfections caused by false positives.. which corroborates our experience thus far.
    I’ve heard this 1st statement a lot. The experts say it wasn’t here then, but very well could have been. It’ll be interesting to see what flu season looks like now that it is 100% present now.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

A poster at work compares covid symptoms to flu symptoms. The only difference is possible loss of smell.

Also, nobody is bothering with flu tests anymore as far as I can tell.

My kid ran a mild fever for 6 hours. Tested positive on a quick test at his doctor and they stopped there. He was fine by the time he was tested.

All other members tested negative over several days and tests despite very close, constant contact, sleeping in the same beds and sharing food and drink.

We were told kids can’t really spread it which makes covid completely different than any other disease ever based on my experience when my kids attended preschool for the first time.

It is a magic disease with symptoms and behavior that change to match whatever you are experiencing.

Quote Originally Posted by SaltMuck View Post
    I’ve heard this 1st statement a lot. The experts say it wasn’t here then, but very well could have been. It’ll be interesting to see what flu season looks like now that it is 100% present now.
    With other “experts” saying it was here as early as October/November of 2019.. So much “information” that has been given and changed along the way you can’t blame the “uneducated” public for having varying theories based on their experiences.. We should just discredit them all and abide by the “experts and politicians” recommendations and rules..
    “Get out among the mountains and trees, friend, as soon as you can. They will do more for you than either man or woman could.” Theodore Roosevelt to John Muir after his wife's passing in 1905.

I was with my parents for the holidays and noticed my mom and dad had sinus issues with a cough. They went and got tested and both came back positive for the flu and COVID. My mom had to go to the hospital on Monday for a day to get much needed fluids and meds but both are on the mend.

We were all in a car together looking at Christmas lights the day before they got tested. My family and I have taken the test since several times with negative results....it amazes me that we were in such close contact for several days and none of us caught it to our knowledge.

My mom tested positive the Thursday before christmas. Lost her taste and smell and that was it.

I never tested but the 22/23 I had headache, back ache, chills and a bit of an upset stomach. Other than some fatigue I was ok Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, picked up a cough and pretty sore throat for a few days after that but am pretty much normal now. Like I said, never tested but feel pretty certain I had it.
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    My mom tested positive the Thursday before christmas. Lost her taste and smell and that was it.

I never tested but the 22/23 I had headache, back ache, chills and a bit of an upset stomach. Other than some fatigue I was ok Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, picked up a cough and pretty sore throat for a few days after that but am pretty much normal now. Like I said, never tested but feel pretty certain I had it.
    This fits me to a T. Although I have never felt bad. I was tested negative on the 22. I’m still congested but better each day.
    Go Tigers!!!

Four of us have been around each other close for weeks 2 have it 2 don’t the two who tested negative have been sicker than the two who tested positive. I tested for the flu and had a rough 3 days I did duck hunt in 21 degrees so not that rough that I stayed home.

My wife had it back in November. Myself and both the girls tested negative. She was down for the count pretty good for 4-5 days with all the normal symtoms and lost of taste and smell. She’s a pretty tough ole girl but i have never seen her that sick and whinny. Hell i had to lock all the handguns because she kept asking me to put her out of her missery lol. Our youngest is high risk and i can’t believe she didn’t get it. I still think thats what my whole family had back in December 2019.

We've been told 20 different things, First we were told if we were exposed to quarantine, Second we were told if we were exposed to come to work. Most recently we were told even if we tested positive to come to work unless we had symptoms. I really don't beleive that anyone has a solid answer as to what to do and what not to. My wife was positive and we didn't stay seperate and somehow I never caught it from her ........... Who knows at this point
    " You can't catch the Rona if you already the Illest " - J ROC

Quote Originally Posted by LCO View Post
    We've been told 20 different things, First we were told if we were exposed to quarantine, Second we were told if we were exposed to come to work. Most recently we were told even if we tested positive to come to work unless we had symptoms. I really don't beleive that anyone has a solid answer as to what to do and what not to. My wife was positive and we didn't stay seperate and somehow I never caught it from her ........... Who knows at this point
    This has been our experience. Different answers for everything. Quarantine length, when we could go back to school amd work, etc. Even when we were getting tested with my daughter already positive, they told us we could go out but to wear a mask. Why on earth would you tell people that?

Quote Originally Posted by tjm84 View Post
    Toof will shame you come Monday
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid