Thread: 28 and 16 gauge guns

Default 28 and 16 gauge guns

"They" talk about these gauges shooting square loads vs 12 and 20 gauge guns. I think this means the shot load is as wide as it is tall.

Does this make a difference. Are 28s and 16s better than 12s or 20s? I also understand a 20 shoots a longer shot string than a 12.

Do birds realize this?

Does all this make a difference
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

Birds get hit by pellets, not loads. Each gun choked to print, say, 60% of its load in a 30" circle at 35 yards will do just that. From there, pattern density is determined by the weight of the load.

All that square load crap is, in my opinion, made up to give gun writers something to talk about. Physics does change when things get small but that's at the sub-atomic level not the sub-gauge level.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

I wrote something on this and posted it on another site. I'll see if I can find it and post it. I think I called it Old Yeller.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberhead* View Post
    Birds get hit by pellets, not loads. Each gun choked to print, say, 60% of its load in a 30" circle at 35 yards will do just that. From there, pattern density is determined by the weight of the load.

All that square load crap is, in my opinion, made up to give gun writers something to talk about. Physics does change when things get small but that's at the sub-atomic level not the sub-gauge level.
    There is a difference in 'shot string length', which is what I believe they are referring to. Technically, a longer shot string gives you a greater margin of error in lead... assuming... that there are enough pellets with sufficient energy in any particular section of the string to kill the bird. Whether or not a particular load or gauge, or combination thereof, makes much difference is a mathematical and physics question that is beyond my memory's capabilities.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Shot string length doesn’t do shit for the vast majority of folks shooting at moving targets because they refuse to shoot far enough in front of a bird or target.

"Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Shot string length doesn’t do shit for the vast majority of folks shooting at moving targets because they refuse to shoot far enough in front of a bird or target.
    LOL... great point! But... theoretically speaking... it can make a smidgen of difference.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

TATER knows whats up. Shot my first limit of DOVES with my dad's Sportman 56-16/ga. at 10. Still own the gun and the wife still shoots it.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post
    LOL... great point! But... theoretically speaking... it can make a smidgen of difference.
    It makes a tremendous difference IF you shoot far enough out in front.

Quote Originally Posted by DRDUCK View Post
    TATER knows whats up. Shot my first limit of DOVES with my dad's Sportman 56-16/ga. at 10. Still own the gun and the wife still shoots it.
    Been on any good dove hunts lately?
    Natural Born Killer Prostaff - Killing Tomorrow's Trophies Today...

TFC -"Be tough or get tough"

Conservation Permit Holder #5213

The only difference between 20 and 28ga is if you shoot a 28gauge you’re required to tell everyone that will listen that that’s what you shoot........

28 is the superior subgauge.
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

I met a dude shooting a 24 ga the other day. Had to go look that one up when I got home.