Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Dove field 101. School me

Nice

I have a couple I rotate, kids mostly with them.. now that mine are grown enough to be on their own out there.. it's a tad easier. If I call one of my hunting buddies it's because I want to shoot. Which is every so often. I'm pretty laid back, but sometimes I just get the urge to watch every bird in my sight to fold up.
    Last edited by Highstrung; 01-13-2021 at 07:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    Nice

I have a couple I rotate, kids mostly with them.. now that mine are grown enough to be on their own out there.. it's a tad easier. If I call one of my hunting buddies it's because I want to shoot. Which is every so often. I'm pretty laid back, but sometimes I just get the urge to watch every bird in my sight to fold up.
    Funny...my phone never rang this season! Hahah I kid!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

I’m around $300-325/acre on 12-14 acres. Established dove field that been close to the same spot for 30 years. We own the property so no leasing

**2008 & 2009 Bream World Champion**

Genesis 27:3

Quote Originally Posted by Islandguy85 View Post
    Might have a field that I can lease. I habe never been involved in planting a field.

Has been a standard AG field for as long as I can remember. Any ballpark on cost per acre to plant/manage if we were to plant a mix of millet, corn, sunflowers? Would theoretically pay a local farmer to do it.

Did you ever plant this field.

Two of us in learning stages as well, this is our 4th yr but first on the spot we are planting now. Have had mixed results

Last year local farmer let us hunt cut corn field (cash always helps ) and left a couple strips of corn standing for us to stand in. Very good natural field

Spot we planted this year is about a 25 acre field but we only planted about 1/3 of it , so far we got doves
    Last edited by tprice; 08-20-2021 at 07:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tprice View Post
    Did you ever plant this field.

Two of us in learning stages as well, this is our 4th yr but first on the spot we are planting now. Have had mixed results

Last year local farmer let us hunt cut corn field (cash always helps ) and left a couple strips of corn standing for us to stand in. Very good natural field

Spot we planted this year is about a 25 acre field but we only planted about 1/3 of it , so far we got doves
    I didn’t. Land is owned by a good friend and his family. It is currently leased by a farmer. Family rarely uses property but there were concerns that a dove field would suddenly create interest, issues, etc.

Trying to navigate the politics and hopefully next year.

I didn’t. Land is owned by a good friend and his family. It is currently leased by a farmer. Family rarely uses property but there were concerns that a dove field would suddenly create interest, issues, etc.

Gotcha

Field we fixed this year is actually for sale but at the price and location it will be for sale for a looooong time

To give you an idea My buddy (did not listen to me) left his teenage son's truck over there over night with some mechanical issues. Came back next day and truck was as far away from road as possible and stripped and motor blown up

Beautiful track of land but the area beside it is about as bad as it gets

Good luck next year with it , I actually have learned a lot on SCD on dove fields All has been very good advice

Have the family lease it to me, problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by trash2 View Post
    Have the family lease it to me, problem solved.
    I attempted that approach