Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dove field 101. School me

Quote Originally Posted by Islandguy85 View Post
    Might entertain this route. A friends family that doesn’t really hunt owns the land. Right now a farmer leases to plant various crops.

That pond is spring fed and the area adjacent to it is an old duck small pond/impound that hasn’t been used in about 20yrs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That’s what I do. We have a farmer that farms all of our Ag land and plants the corn and sunflowers for us we handle the sunflower upkeep and he handles the corn. He leaves us 8-12 rows on either side of the flowers. If I were you I’d talk to your farmer about planting 10 acres in the middle and then if he farms beans let him plant beans around the dove field. Fence in your your flowers only and hope that the beans around the field keep the deer full and occupied.

Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

Quote Originally Posted by wkjohns View Post
    Not to be negative but try to minimize your chances for disappointment. Established fields are hard enough to get birds to these days, so starting a new field won’t be easy. Sunflowers are king but you can’t skimp on anything

Common knowledge says you’re right about not skimping on anything but I’m starting to wonder. Each year my field gets cleaned and cleaner and I have fewer birds every year than I did before. I’m tempted to go back to planting peradovics and only spraying pre-emergent and letting the sicklepod go apeshit. I had way more birds when I had sicklepod higher than the flowers. Seems the majority of people I talk to are seeing fewer and fewer birds every year too though.

I’ll add that you don’t have to plant 25 acres. The best shoot I’ve been on since they outlawed top sewn wheat in the first season was on a 2 acre patch of sunflowers. Like others have said plant a few acres in the center. I can guarantee you that more food doesn’t mean more doves (or any doves at all.)
    Last edited by SCSwitchback; 01-12-2021 at 11:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SCSwitchback View Post
    Common knowledge says you’re right about not skimping on anything but I’m starting to wonder. Each year my field gets cleaned and cleaner and I have fewer birds every year than I did before. I’m tempted to go back to planting peradovics and only spraying pre-emergent and letting the sicklepod go apeshit. I had way more birds when I had sicklepod higher than the flowers. Seems the majority of people I talk to are seeing fewer and fewer birds every year too though.
    Maybe so. I hate sicklepod. They have nothing for wildlife. At least dove eat pigweed seed and deer love the plant.. If you want different species then I’d suggest planting them.. for instance I’ve thought about ditching the planter and drilling a mix of dove preferred seeds into standing matured wheat with just a burn down chemical used. Then stay on top of bush hogging strips..may have to disk and burn some too.

I think the fewer birds are going to be a thing to expect in SC. That’s another reason I suggested he minimize his chances for disappointment. The more you spend the more it hurts when doves aren’t there... I’ve found that keeping local birds around over the summer usually means a few good first season hunts.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    I'm hereby refusing dove field tips on the internet for the rest of my life.
    pro tip?
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

benne?

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    Dove fields are expensive and usually a waste of time. Just start kissing someone's ass in august like 3/4 of the male population in this state.
    i've tried
    (lol)

It's close to another year of us two not shooting together. I'm blaming you this time, that first one was totally undoable for me.

thought of that this morning....
    i cant say that i've had the perfect sunday.
    its been an odd run....

Doves give two shits about a field being pigweedy. Clean fields are for impressing your friends and retrieving the birds.

Yep. Here as well. I sat out there yesterday for a little bit, I could hear them throughout the pines. In the back of my head I was like those bastards are coordinating things. I pulled around and glared at the muddy river for like the next hour.
    Last edited by Highstrung; 01-13-2021 at 07:27 AM.

Weird rains, weather, and junk on Sundays it seems, throwing off their feeding schedules.

There are now over 60 fields around Florence.

By the third year the deer will eat every plant.

Farmers view planting you field as a nuisance.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Islandguy85 View Post
    Leave the rest dirt or let farmer plant whatever he wants?

I was thinking one acre per hunter roughly.

I can hunt 12-14 on 10 acres.
    Carolina Counsel

Just because you planted the sunflowers to attract the doves doesn't mean you have to stand IN the sunflowers to kill said doves.

Sporting Woodies hit it on the head, the amount of people kissing your ass in August is unbelievable

it's easier if you separate friends and hunting friends.. my people kinda know this, or they've grown to think I'm an asshole. But it carries on into the bourbon releasing time of year for me as well.. My hunting clique is really small, it's easier that way.

I would think fairly straight forward. Gotta pay if you want to play. Still working on the lease part....

yeah, if you're running a club. But then you have to answer to people.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    it's easier if you separate friends and hunting friends.. my people kinda know this, or they've grown to think I'm an asshole. But it carries on into the bourbon releasing time of year for me as well.. My hunting clique is really small, it's easier that way.
    I only invite kids these days.