Thread: Exactly what do y’all do to get a dove field ready

Default Exactly what do y’all do to get a dove field ready

2 of us were given access to a big field to use for doves, can do what ever we like to it

Cut it back in late spring and planted millet in strips as well as sorghum

Both are doing well , couple weeks ago my buddy cut and plowed around all the strips and we cut some strips in the millet along the edge

Our plans are to leave sorghum alone or maybe cut a strip or 2 down the middle. The property has some old power poles and they are going to get set this weekend

We have plenty of doves but my buddy keeps wanting to go out there and start cutting stuff now, hell he rides out there every day

I am under the assumption just leave it alone until next weekend and then cut more/most of the millet and maybe a strip or so do middle of sorghum

At this point we have plenty of birds but we are 2 weeks away, I am thinking if we cut too early and it rains the seed will start sprouting like is use to do in the old days when you could top sow wheat up till 10 days before.

Dove Wire.jpg I mowed and burned a small part of a 6 acre wheat field yesterday.....doves were all over it today.....mowed a few trails in the sunflowers today that border the wheat field to keep the birds in my area. Will now hold off prepping the field until later next week when Ill do some more mowing and burning and placing a few large round bales around the field edges for my invited guests.

Blue side up

By being a good friend and knowing how to cook barbeque. Oh also knowing what kind of beer the landowner likes for after the hunt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

I just call people that know people that have a field.
    Got a few more people I need to check on next week to see if I can get the entire opening weekend lined up.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

I have two fields with corn and sunflowers. I just burnt the sunflowers and all weeds down. I also went around the field with the sprayer a couple of times. Next week I will disc up the areas between the corn and sunflowers. We will start harvesting corn either next week or the week after if the moisture will ever get down. We leave 6-12 rows of corn on either side of the flowers. Once the corn is cut I will mow the stalks down as low as I can. Then mid to late September I will disc up the areas where there was corn in preparation for top sowing wheat. May also mow some flowers down throughout September if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

Thanks

This is a lot of help

I know someone with a dog.
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965