Thread: New beaver ponds

Default New beaver ponds

Beavers moved into my land a couple years back, they have damed up 1.0+ acres. I added a few wood duck boxes. Thinking about cutting some trees this year to open up the area. Just wondering what you guys experience is with how long it takes wood ducks to find and move into a new swamp, I haven’t seen the first duck so far. Is there things to do to improve? Thought about enhancing the food chain a little (yellow gold) just to help, not for hunting of course but just attracting. Built a new pond close by on the property a couple years back also and had a few ducks stop by it but none in the beaver ponds. Site is within 1/4 mile of another large beaver swamp and lake Greenwood, Any advice on next steps to improve or just let nature do its thing?

Corn dumbass

Bought 500lbs for starters

Put a tripod feeder in it for a year or so. Thank me later.

Transplant some sago, AA, smart weed, duck potato etc.

Corn corn and more corn then switch to milo a month before duck season.

Quote Originally Posted by BrandonWagner View Post
    Transplant some sago, AA, smart weed, duck potato etc.

Corn corn and more corn then switch to milo a month before duck season.
    You have been to Master Baiter school to I see.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

So I see many of you guys are Senior Master Baiters and I wanted to get an understanding if a person wanted to do this, I’ve put corn out for deer in this area with cameras and have more raccoons and squirrels than deer. Is this a 10 lb bag a week job, 50 lb bag a week or add a few hundred lbs to start everywhere to see what happens, pour on the bank around the edges, in the shallow water, etc. How about help shorten my learning curve here, educate me?

Start with 50-100 lbs of corn in the shallow water. Add as needed if you start seeing birds use the area.

Quote Originally Posted by Otter 1200 View Post
    So I see many of you guys are Senior Master Baiters and I wanted to get an understanding if a person wanted to do this, I’ve put corn out for deer in this area with cameras and have more raccoons and squirrels than deer. Is this a 10 lb bag a week job, 50 lb bag a week or add a few hundred lbs to start everywhere to see what happens, pour on the bank around the edges, in the shallow water, etc. How about help shorten my learning curve here, educate me?
    Hey mr green jeans,you trying to fill a ticket quota?

Make the water gold where they can see it

If you’re trying to pull birds... then pull them with something they can see as stated above.

You can start to scatter it once they have found it and established a pattern of coming back.
    HRCH DOC'S LIL LEGACY MH

Corn to attract.
    Planting rice and jap milit will eventually
    I’ve had rice in a swamp not far from you and it’s been great for the ducks and very easy once it gets going
    Board Member
    Cherokee Foothills Hunting Retriever Club