Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Field and pit lease pricing into the future

Not to mention that it isn't as easy as it sounds. To get on any consistently good guided property's "Get your ass out here" call list, you will have had to spend a lot of time and money over the years with them. You just about have to pay a damn retainer...

Out of curiosity- spending a ton of money to hunt gets thrown out on this site a lot. Guided vs lease vs. buy/build etc. are all insanely different price points some not even in the same equation. Do you think there is a definitive amount that is “lots of money”. I hear people bitching about the lack of results on their $500 lease as well as guys who complain that they have to drive for 30 minutes from the FBO to get the “farm”. I guess it’s all relative!

Quote Originally Posted by bitesize View Post
    Out of curiosity- spending a ton of money to hunt gets thrown out on this site a lot. Guided vs lease vs. buy/build etc. are all insanely different price points some not even in the same equation. Do you think there is a definitive amount that is “lots of money”. I hear people bitching about the lack of results on their $500 lease as well as guys who complain that they have to drive for 30 minutes from the FBO to get the “farm”. I guess it’s all relative!
    Money is relative. All depends on how many zeros you got in the bank.

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    There are places in the upstate that have been doing it for a long time, with huge budgets, coming up short. 10 years ago they were kings...
    Preach it. I have been fortunate to hunt some of those places on an annual basis for 35 years. I can't begin to tell you how great it was back in the day (when I didn't know better) and how not-so-great it is now. Don't get me wrong, I'm always glad to get invited, but it's not close to what it once was not that long ago. Dad and I had our last good hunt on one impoundment (that has been imprinting birds for 40 plus years) about 8-10 years ago. Double limits of all drakes-blacks, mallards, pintails, wigeon, gadwall, and one mistake wood duck. You would be lucky to get on a ringer beat down the last few years. Yes, you will kill some big ducks, but NOTHING like it was. And it's not because they changed management practices. Heck, they now have more flooded food. THE DUCKS AREN'T HERE.
    Carolina Counsel

They aren’t here because there’s an impoundment every 200 yards. So they are here but they’re not here.LOL!!
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckkiller View Post
    I’ve been doing it right since 03’-04’. Added another impoundment in 14’. This is our worst year ever. We don’t pressure it, and only hunt two guns. Mine are small compared to some of the upstate impoundments. I agree, build it and they’ll come. But they aren’t here this year. We went from holding 400-500 ducks to 50 in a week. Without pressure.
    Yes every year is different but in general, I can pretty much guarantee that you are and will always be drawing and seeing an exponentially higher number of birds, on average, than any public hunter (or private pond w/o crops or management). There’s a 4 acre pond in the mountains with 1/2 acre of corn in it that has over 300 birds right now. Redheads, bluebills, grey ducks, ringers, buffleheads, mallards, and a small number of woodies. In February last year, over 800 birds in it at one time.

Don’t get me wrong, I love to take guided trips, and would love to be a member of an established ease, but if you are simply renting a pit or field, you can’t expect much more than a crap shoot and a trophy to show your buddies that you are on a lease in AR. Jacob did it right, he’s been doing it right. Unless you can really spend time out there in the off season as well as in season to do your homework and KNOW what you’re getting into, I don’t see the point in doing it other than blowing that money to get out of state. As mentioned, for the same money, you could take that same amount of money and go on 3-6 amazing trips with an outfitter,with 4 guys, anywhere in the country, for a week at a time. That’s the route I would take. If I was wanting to hunt 30+ days I would try to get on with a club like jacobs or the like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk