Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Thread: Time to talk about ducks

Quote Originally Posted by WNM View Post
    Good maps, BRR. Are they available online?
    https://www.ducks.org/hunting/report...nd-return-maps

The Starlink technology that you are looking forward to JAB ain't gonna be good for the resource.
    DILLIGAF

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Pride View Post
    Many of you are taking this TOO literally.
    No, that is what was presented to us over the last couple months. Ridiculous statements are always going to be met and challenged. Even as half the population believes that boys can be girls, trying to make the argument that there was never a migratory mallard population in the Atlantic Flyway despite 500 years of evidence to the contrary just reeks of an agenda and someone looking to profit. That someone may be looking outside the box, though, is at least something because the box is empty...

True, but it has SOME validity. And one cannot be sure of exactly what and where the samples were derived...
    “The price of freedom is eternal vigilance” - Thomas Jefferson

“I believe there’s a little confusion here. Lavretsky never claimed there weren’t mallards in Atlantic flyway.”

It’s been a while since I listened to it but I believe he claimed exactly that no mallards were on the Atlantic flyway.
    "And ignoring people on here....that's like being home schooled. Just say you're not ready to face life." Highstrung

I'll look for the article but I remember reading where in the late 1800s and early 1900s the St John's river around Jacksonville wintered 100-200 thousand mallards.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

I'll never forget the look on my grandmother's face when I presented a whole roasted wood duck at Thanksgiving one year. "What is that tiny little thing! There is no fat on it!"
    DILLIGAF

So is there wild mallards in the Atlantic or not???? I have listened to the podcast and seen different research papers.... I thought the basic understanding was the mallard was the long time ago ancestor of the black duck, gadwall, mexican duck, mottled duck..... That these birds had very close genetic structures to the miss flyway mallard and the Atlantic mallard was closer to the birds released in the early 1900s. I don't think they are saying mallards didn't exist. I was under the impression that they had over time become subspecies hence why they have closer genetic structure to the miss mallard. That now the population of mallards in the Atlantic are closer to the released birds from the 1900s because a long time ago the birds became what we now call gray ducks... I may be wrong but one would think that if a mallard is the long time ago ancestor and what is now different hybrids of the original copy like the ones in the miss flyway. I would think that due to the large amounts of birds released in the Atlantic we have pretty much killed off the wild genetic strain that was here at some point in time..... Maybe idk.... Might need to listen to them again......
    Last edited by darealdeal; 01-22-2021 at 12:01 PM.
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    I'll look for the article but I remember reading where in the late 1800s and early 1900s the St John's river around Jacksonville wintered 100-200 thousand mallards.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    I remember when Florida had a April season on greenheads.
    "I'm just a victim of a circumstance"

Here is the thread I started in Oct with the podcast link....

https://scducks.com/forum/showthread...retsky-podcast

I jumped around until I found some key statements by Lavretsky...

@ 30:30, "There were no real mallards in the AF pre 1920"

1920-1960 1/2 million farm raised birds were released annually along the AF for many years

@ 38:00, The AF mallard population has 2 distinct genetic strains

The current AF mallard population exhibits over 10% genetic variation from western mallards whereas blacks, mottled, and messican are all 1-2%

@ 45:00, 90% of AF mallards today contain European domestic/game farm mallard genetics markers
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    Here is the thread I started in Oct with the podcast link....

https://scducks.com/forum/showthread...retsky-podcast

I jumped around until I found some key statements by Lavretsky...

@ 30:30, "There were no real mallards in the AF pre 1920"

1920-1960 1/2 million farm raised birds were released annually along the AF for many years

@ 38:00, The AF mallard population has 2 distinct genetic strains

The current AF mallard population exhibits over 10% genetic variation from western mallards whereas blacks, mottled, and messican are all 1-2%

@ 45:00, 90% of AF mallards today contain European domestic/game farm mallard genetics markers

I greatly thank you for doing that Cali.

Now, why on earth would he say such a thing is my next question to all? See pics I posted which are documented evidence and those are just a mere scratch of what is out there. Unfortunately, statements like this, coming from a guy like him can de value the entirety of a research project and it's finding , regardless of his validity in other areas.

Last edited by Strick9; 01-22-2021 at 02:22 PM.
    Genesis 9;2

Quote Originally Posted by coot nasty View Post
    I remember when Florida had a April season on greenheads.
    No you don’t
    “The price of freedom is eternal vigilance” - Thomas Jefferson

Still curious after reading some of the comments... After listening and reading research.... It would seem to me that old world mallards would resemble that of the miss flyway genetically. As to why other ducks such as blacks, gadwall and so on match them so closely and not what we consider an atl flyway mallard. How many farm raised birds have been released since the early 1900s... Is it not possible that the old world atl flyway mallard genetic strain has been so manipulated by this point it does not resemble that of its cousin in the miss flyway??? I would estimate that close to 20,000,000 mallards have been released in the atl flyway since the 1920s. That is just 200,000 birds a year........ How many years would it take to genetically modify a specific species with constant addition of the farm raised animal..... I am not saying there was not atl flyway mallards before the 1920s. Obviously there was as there are records of such a thing. How many of the old world or miss flyway mallards ended up as what we now know as a gadwall or black duck... If that is how we got these gray ducks in the first place..... I would assume the ducks would have adapted to their environment as any other animal and this creates diversity among animals in many different areas... Again I maybe wrong....
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Pride View Post
    No you don’t
    What do you mean? Are they still doing it am i missing out?
    "I'm just a victim of a circumstance"

Quote Originally Posted by sprigdog View Post
    It’s awful here in the PacNW as well.
    Judging by the pics of your hunts, I'd take your awful season any day.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

I am telling you guys its all about the weather here is more evidence.

4B39F304-757E-40B8-BFA3-BDF1B30AB229.jpg

517A562F-6058-4B31-8966-9AD6C5BD29D9.jpg

No major freezer ups this year and certainly no major snowstorms!
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

So is global warming real?
    Go Tigers!!!

I have posted numerous charts here in the last three days, unfortunately it looks so.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Global warming is real. Over regulating fossil fuels and throwing money at nonsense ain't gonna make it cool off.

Quote Originally Posted by LabLuvR View Post
    I have posted numerous charts here in the last three days, unfortunately it looks so.
    I believe it is too. But is it due to population and the ever so development of swamp land and rural areas across the US, or is the globe actually warming up?
    Go Tigers!!!