Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Time to talk about ducks

Dr Phil Lavretsky is a geneticist.
    He does a very in depth 6 year study on the mallard complex in North America.

Go listen to the podcast dude.

There is your evidence.

If simply hearing him say it on a recording just won’t do, he will happily email you any documents from his entire study.

Doesn’t really matter if you or my father believe it..... DNA don’t lie.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Sure it does. All the time.

Someone tell me what the DNA evidence that supports the following statement is, and I will be more than happy to read it objectively...

no one on this site knew the Atlantic Flyway never had mallards until they were released from European descent in the 1920's

I don’t know who said that.

There are men (my father included) that wouldn’t believe it unless they had access to a time machine.

Not much more I can say on the subject, other than Phil will put you in touch with other scientists who preceded him in this research.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Damn good, but scary Podcast. He also alludes to what may be happening to our quail.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Sounds like they make a strong case for allowing breeders to raise pure genetic mallards and release them anywhere on the flyway. The data proves they will go north and breed. Populations will build back up and they will come south depending on the weather.

Pass legislation outlawing inferior genetics.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Remember that I have been fascinated by the pyramids and their depictions of duck hunting since I was old enough to read. Pintails in Egypt? In numbers so vast that they hunted them for sport with throwing sticks? Yep.

Things certainly change.

One of the things that doesn't change is the use of science to further agendas.

When I see people writing things like "there were no mallards in the Atlantic Flyway" as I read on here a few weeks ago, it interests me how people who I know to be intelligent, students of wildlife, and interested in history come to such a conclusion in their own minds despite artwork going back to cave drawings, literature that can fill a library, and plain common sense.

That does not make them or all of this "evidence" wrong, mind you. I would like to see the argument for it clearly stated since I am seeing the fallout from "the evidence" being passed off as gospel...

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post

Pass legislation outlawing inferior genetics.
    Amen to that. The original Frost method worked...

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Amen to that. The original Frost method worked...
    Yep, what the study tells us is,...….that even in the glory days of 200,000 on the SWNR, we were shooting tamies,...………..just a lot better genetics. I'll take that genetic make up or better any day.

And the USFWS proposed offering pure genetic mottled duck eggs for breeders in Florida as a way to keep them from releasing inferior mallard genetics…...so there is a precedent.
    Last edited by Catdaddy; 01-21-2021 at 10:58 AM.

Miner and AVISE showed up on cold NW winds once upon a time........

Quote Originally Posted by BRR View Post
    Agreed.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

I’ll never forget the cold front of 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    I’ll never forget the cold front of 2012.
    Yeah and the low water teal beatings! I belive it was that year. Id have to go back and look at pics.
    Last edited by coot nasty; 01-21-2021 at 12:04 PM.
    "I'm just a victim of a circumstance"

That is true.

So is this-

Pintail hunting on the Nile River using live herons as motion decoys...

But now, this isn't?

Nova Scotia mallard hunting with tolling retriever 1838.

Can I get one of those barebreasted female retrievers for next duck season ?? ( assuming there is a next season).
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Pride View Post
    DNA isn’t proof? You baffle me ....
    what does the DNA prove? crossover? wow.
    proving ducks migratory patterns related to weather has not been proven with genetics. yet>?
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Ha. They dug this out of the city of Pompeii a few weeks ago. It had been covered for 1,942 years when the Vesuvius volcano erupted in 79 AD. Note the mallards, which apparently were in every corner of the world except the Atlantic Flyway, lol...

Interesting way to keep fast food hot before heat lamps, no?

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    what does the DNA prove? crossover? wow.
    proving ducks migratory patterns related to weather has not been proven with genetics. yet>?
    I would like to know where they got the baseline DNA from to start with. There are hundreds of millions of dollars at stake here, so just accepting all this without skepticism is foolish.

Podcasts are evidence of nothing, but proof that man is a gullible creature.

They just retrieved 100 elephants tusks from a ship that sank 500 years ago. There was still dna material because of the cold water. They said the tusks came from 17 different elephant herds.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020...ving-relatives
    Last edited by Catdaddy; 01-21-2021 at 01:42 PM.

I believe there’s a little confusion here. Lavretsky never claimed there weren’t mallards in Atlantic flyway. His research shows that the majority of mallards in the Atlantic flyway have different genetics than mallards in Mississippi flyway termed the North American mallard. He did comparisons of samples from current Atlantic and Mississippi flyway birds as well as past birds(samples from Smithsonian) and samples of game farm mallards from England. He studied the mallard complex including blacks, mottleds, and Mexicans. His research states that the common mallard in the Atlantic flyway is less genetically similar to a North American mallard than a mottled duck. Release mallards started in the 40s and 50s. Sketchy records show 500k-1mil birds released up and down the Atlantic flyway on average for a couple decades.

So his research shows a couple different possibilities. Release mallards out competing North American mallards and pushing them farther west? Release mallards genetically altering eastern North American mallards by interbreeding over all these years? If the latter is the case could that population end up screwing up the entire North American mallard population eventually? That’s the scary possibility.

I haven’t read his research yet but I’d like to. He goes in depth on the DU podcast series and with Ramsey Russell on his podcast discussing genetics of Blacks, Mottleds, and hybridization which is all super fascinating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I look forward to seeing the case for it laid out as well.

I wouldn't place a lot of stock in collection samples from the museums. People were paid at one time to collect and bring in samples of flora and fauna from around the world. Is it more or less likely that a representative mallard duck carcass came from a wild hunt or a very good looking specimen out of someone's back yard?