Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Time to talk about ducks

Wow. Every time I have hunted there it has been on fire.
    DILLIGAF

I've never seen it this bad in that area, not even close and especially not this time of year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

Quote Originally Posted by BRR View Post
    South eastern states try to cut crops as soon as possible(hurricane season fears). Warm air and humidity ruins waste grain. Ducks tend to follow geese dry feeding on grain in other states. When our resident geese are eating corn in September there aren't many or any ducks around. Also there are no cold nights driving ducks to feed on fields if they were here. The few dry feeding ducks I have seen in SC were on soybeans late. Just my 2 cents.

I’ve seen millions of geese dry feed in Arkansas (snows, specks, and canadas). . I’ve seen one group of ducks dry feed here.

One day maybe I will get these VCR tapes switched over to digital and show y'all what 10's of thousands of bigducks and teal in SC dry feeding looks like. Before the season cut corn, and beans/protein towards the end and after. Given the habitat and space to do it, they certainly will. Acres and acres of summer ducks dry feeding corn in September as well...

Geese do not sit in flooded corn fields, and the geese migration hasn’t been affected- why is that?

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    One day maybe I will get these VCR tapes switched over to digital and show y'all what 10's of thousands of bigducks and teal in SC dry feeding looks like. Before the season cut corn, and beans/protein towards the end and after. Given the habitat and space to do it, they certainly will. Acres and acres of summer ducks dry feeding corn in September as well...
    chop chop....that's something I'd really like to see!

I’m telling you boys it’s all about the weather

F70BAD88-AB95-4E62-9CBB-F7C07DB36B5D.jpg
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Quote Originally Posted by LabLuvR View Post
    I’m telling you boys it’s all about the weather

F70BAD88-AB95-4E62-9CBB-F7C07DB36B5D.jpg
    Correct. We have an outfit we sponsor in South Dakota and they were wearing t shirts In November.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So global warming is real or no?

Quote Originally Posted by Elcid_Fowler View Post
    So global warming is real or no?
    The earth has warmed and cooled many times over....

So what does that impact of it warming and cooling many times over (assuming you can share data to support this) have to do on waterfowl populations in current times. Without assumptions being made, what data can support that the trend will correct itself. I'm sincerely asking. No agenda on my side here.
    Last edited by Elcid_Fowler; 01-20-2021 at 08:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Elcid_Fowler View Post
    So what does that impact of it warming and cooling many times over (assuming you can share data to support this) have to do on waterfowl populations in current times. Without assumptions being made, what data can support that the trend will correct itself. I'm sincerely asking. No agenda on my side here.
    In simplest terms, if you were programmed to escape danger of cold and freezing to death when days become shorter, but the journey is dangerous in its own right and tiring, the warmer it gets locally, the birds simply don’t have to go as far, hence why they appear to not be in SC. No need to do the journey.
    I’m being wildly simplistic but the point is no need to migrate

IMO, it's pretty simple.....birds are not going to migrate any further than the weather drives them.
    All kinds of conspiracy theories can be contrived and people can blame it on corn ponds, ice eaters, too much pressure, loss of habitat ete etc but that one simple fact remains and it's backed up by research that supports it.
    Last edited by Calibogue; 01-20-2021 at 09:17 PM.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

I agree. Call me crazy but since we have recorded data the trend in climate temps has progressively moved up. I understand the argument that the earth has reportedly heated and cooled many time over but we can't say what impact that perceived heating and cooling has had on waterfowl (maybe there are studies out there that predate modern data). Regardless, based on modern data the trend is increasing and thus the impact on the SE and other areas is being felt. Call it global warming or not. It's something and it's having an impact. We can do something about it or we can just assume it'll correct itself. I guess that is the dividing line in beliefs...

Default Ducks in Mexico

Ahhhhh yes..... the good old, "it doesn't get cold any more" argument. Don't yall get tired of hearing/saying that? Maybe that affects mallards more than other species, but what about the rest of the birds? SC doesnt have any of those either.

https://www.getducks.com/hunts/mexic...nting-obregon/

MEXICO-DUCK-HUNTING-2116-768x610.jpg
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

Every Flyway is different and no one has all the answers.
    The climate is warming and that is undeniable and unfortunately it has consequences that may change wildlife behavior both good and bad as we perceive it.
    Hell, no one on this site knew the Atlantic Flyway never had mallards until they were released from European descent in the 1920s and no one knew that population was trending their migration westward.
    The Lavretsky podcast I posted back in October is just one of many that begins to sheds light on what's happening to our waterfowl.
    I want to know more myself..... Where are the gadwall, why so many ringers are just a couple questions I have?
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

And most of the ducks in that picture are unaffected by weather and most affected by photoperiod
    The boys in La will tell you the cans and ringos and ringnecks come but not the mallards ... and the specs will reverse due to hunting pressure

Oh... and fuck a mud motor ....
    Last edited by Palmetto Pride; 01-20-2021 at 09:35 PM.
    “The price of freedom is eternal vigilance” - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    Hell, no one on this site knew the Atlantic Flyway never had mallards until they were released from European descent in the 1920s?
    I hope that they still don't believe that bullshit...

And what drives Mississippi Flyway birds to move back and forth as the area freezes and thaws as opposed to simply going to LA and staying there?

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    And what drives Mississippi Flyway birds to move back and forth as the area freezes and thaws as opposed to simply going to LA and staying there?
    Everyone always said it. GPS proved it...