Thread: Camera/Photography advice

Default Camera/Photography advice

I would like to step my game up from using a cell phone camera. I know next to nothing about photography.

The main use will be taking pictures for customers as well as other marsh sightings. This camera will live its life on a small boat in saltwater and therefore I don't want to make too huge an investment but do want something that will hold up. The ability to take a short video would be nice as well. What models or criteria do I need to be looking at?

Will I need any editing software as well?

Thank you

Hard to beat the camera on the IPhone
    DILLIGAF

Buy an iPhone 12
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

So I've dabbled in shooting some YouTube videos and doing outdoor photography, Here's what I have noticed taking pictures in portrait mode on an Iphone 12 Is better than most of your entry level DSLR cameras ($500 range). If you're really serious about wanting to take some awesome stuff get a Sony Alpha A7iii. I can send you some pics I've taken off my Cannon Rebel T7i and My Iphone 12 there's not a big difference unless you're attaching different lenses for zoom capabilities. As for video capability I use a Cannon Vixia Hf 800 and a GoPro Hero 7 the Cannon Vixia has incredible zoom quality and can also take pictures in snapshot mode.
    Last edited by LCO; 01-06-2021 at 11:24 AM.
    " You can't catch the Rona if you already the Illest " - J ROC

I use a Nikon D3200 with a 55 mm & 200 mm lens. One of the advantages is you can shoot in raw format for better editing. If you chose to use photoshop, there is a learning curve.

It is difficult to improve on the IPhone 12 and a good app. If you only use the camera presets.

Except for the zoom lens and a tripod. Will help on the marsh.

Looks like it’s time for a new phone

I had a professional photographer tell me that the iPhone’s camera was almost as good as his equipment. That was back when the 6 was the newest model.

Yep. I am constantly amazed at the quality of images I see taken by iPhones. I bought one of the 6+ models that had shit cameras. They needed me to go to an Apple store or send it off to fix and I never did. Damn thing will not die. I can't wait to upgrade simply for the camera...

If you do but a camera, get the book "understanding exposure". It gives you exercises to try with your camera that will improve your skills very quickly.
    Molon Labe
    HRCH Coal's Sparkleberry Cache MH

Iphone cameras are absolutely awesome, there's no denying that. But If you pull up to a pond, marsh, swamp, etc and there's ducks a ways out that you would like to photograph the iphone isn't going to work. 70-200mm is what every good waterfowl photographer recommends when it comes to lens. As far as camera goes hell I don't know whatever you can afford

I'm going to check that book out for sure @skrimp

Quote Originally Posted by LIGMA View Post
    Iphone cameras are absolutely awesome, there's no denying that. But If you pull up to a pond, marsh, swamp, etc and there's ducks a ways out that you would like to photograph the iphone isn't going to work. 70-200mm is what every good waterfowl photographer recommends when it comes to lens. As far as camera goes hell I don't know whatever you can afford

I'm going to check that book out for sure @skrimp
    Can’t you get lens adapters for iPhones ?

Quote Originally Posted by wskinner View Post
    Can’t you get lens adapters for iPhones ?
    I worked at a liquor store when I was at Clemson and one time some Jager packages came with fisheye adapters for iphones it was cool for like 10 minutes. That's about as far as I've gotten into lens adapters with iphones

That plus a "real" camera's shutter speed allows for a much better chance of nailing "THE" shot.

A con would be that on a small boat where an iPhone takes up zero space because it is there anyway, a camera rig and accompanying saltwater proof case is going to take up quite a bit of space.

Quote Originally Posted by LIGMA View Post
    I worked at a liquor store when I was at Clemson and one time some Jager packages came with fisheye adapters for iphones it was cool for like 10 minutes. That's about as far as I've gotten into lens adapters with iphones
    I wouldn’t have expected any less coming from a Jager package.