Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Trolling Set-Up Advice

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    You’re good. My point, as always, is based in sarcasm. There are dozens of 36’ Topaz with diesels for around 50K. There are numerous BIG Bertram for 300K. Sooooooo many nice boats out there...THE last boat I would consider is a 36’ Bertram.
    He really had his heart set on a Bayliner or a Sea Fox, but he ultimately settled on the lower-tier option.

I will say if I was gonna buy one the 38 Special was my choice but they didn't make many of them.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Prayers sent

I got two 50s I’ll let go
    Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    A man learns a lot about himself in a thicket with a big hog. That dog already knows all he needs to know about himself.

Little late to this post but I would outfit the boat to fit the anglers fishing it. Many of the above suggestions are solid but if you are going to have wives and/or kids a smaller outfit is more appropriate.
    I have a set of penn squall 60s that can be handled more easily but still have 500 yards of 40 lb test. Great for the dolphin/bft/kingfish days

Just came across what appears to be a decent deal on a set of (4) Tyrnos two-speed 20W combos. Would 20's be sufficient, or should I hold out for 30's?
    Last edited by Black Bart; 01-14-2021 at 11:05 AM.

Unless you are going for marlin or big yellowfins, I would think those would be fine. I've caught 60 lb wahoo on a TLD 20 and other than taking about 3/4 of the spool on the initial run, it was plenty.

Drag is the same. If you use braid, and a little smaller topshot, you'll be fine.

'Coupla' more questions: do y'all make your own ballyhoo rigs, or do you just buy them pre-made? And does it make sense, price and labor-wise, to make your own?

Quote Originally Posted by Black Bart View Post
    'Coupla' more questions: do y'all make your own ballyhoo rigs, or do you just buy them pre-made? And does it make sense, price and labor-wise, to make your own?
    Just a question of time. Cheaper to make them, but you got to have the "want to" and time

Quote Originally Posted by hunterjw View Post
    Little late to this post but I would outfit the boat to fit the anglers fishing it. Many of the above suggestions are solid but if you are going to have wives and/or kids a smaller outfit is more appropriate.
    I have a set of penn squall 60s that can be handled more easily but still have 500 yards of 40 lb test. Great for the dolphin/bft/kingfish days
    Single or two-speed? Which brings me to another question: Is the additional cost for two-speed really worth it, other than for resale? I've used plenty of different makes, models and sizes, and two-speeds are certainly convenient, but is it a must-have feature?
    Last edited by Black Bart; 01-21-2021 at 03:38 PM.

My reels stay in high gear 99.9% of the time. I wouldn't say 2 speed is necessary.

Single or two-speed? Which brings me to another question: Is the additional cost for two-speed really worth it, other than for resale? I've used plenty of different makes, models and sizes, and two-speeds are certainly convenient, but is it a must-have feature?
    I've used low a few times in really tough bottom or on a smaller reel with a big fish. Like JWS said, most of the time it isn't necessary. Unless you're fishing a heavy hook it's easy to straighten or break one.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Make my own. Saves a lot of money and they swim better. You should be able to rig a ballyhoo in about 1 minute so doing on the fly out there isn’t a big deal

We had a creeper on the flybridge one day, I looked and there were 6 wraps left on a 80 with a big Boone bird on it followed by a big green machine- Without a 2 speed we couldn't have reeled it in without cutting speed.
    Also great for the bucket trick.
    Last edited by Bad Habit; 01-21-2021 at 06:36 PM.

Make ours, tie witches too, if buying pre-made Capt Ed's are pretty.

Don't forget chin weights if you rig yourself

The only reels that I own that are not two speeds are 8 "sailfish only" reels used when dredge/dink fishing or kite fishing.

Somewhat like buying a truck without 4wd. You normally dont need it......until you need it.

There’s a guy on thehulltruth that’s from SC that makes sea witch rigs with some good parts. It’s not worth it to me to make a rig, Buy the heads and hair, tie the sea witches, and crimp everything for $6. I swear I don’t see how you save more than $1