Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trolling Set-Up Advice

Default Trolling Set-Up Advice

A good buddy of mine is in Florida as we speak closing on this beauty:

https://www.boattrader.com/boat/2010...m-360-7447186/

I've offered to take the lead regarding rods, reels, and all other tackle-related matter(s). I know the stuff I'd get if money weren't an option and we were fishing 200 days a year, but I can't justify Accurate Twin-Drags on Spinal Rods (at least not yet). That being said, where would you start? TLD's are hard to beat, but Tiagras and Talicas sure are nice.

Also, how many of each reel? To start, I'm thinking of (4) 30-wides and (2) 50-wides, one for the downrigger/planer, and one just in case. Your thoughts?

Holler at me with ALL of your feedback, including stuff I haven't yet mentioned. Thanks in advance.

Find someone selling some newer model Internationals, Avet EX’s or Tiagras on THT and if they don’t have rods get some from Pinnacle. Scott everything you want or need comes up in those classifieds every week, sometimes at stupid prices from some guy that bought a $400k boat and $20k worth of stuff only to get laid off or hit the skids a year later.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Can't beat a tld!!!
    you aint did a dawg gon thang until ya STAND UP IN IT!- Theodis Ealey

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The older I get, the more anal retentive I get.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    Find someone selling some newer model Internationals, Avet EX’s or Tiagras on THT and if they don’t have rods get some from Pinnacle. Scott everything you want or need comes up in those classifieds every week, sometimes at stupid prices from some guy that bought a $400k boat and $20k worth of stuff only to get laid off or hit the skids a year later.
    Thanks, Marcus. What rods and reels are you runnin' in your standard trolling spread?

Nice boat!

Two speed reels save time and can better catch up to a fast fish. With braid you no longer need an extra wide reel.

I just bought two Pinnacles with terminators

Pinnacle Marine Outfitters
    4211 RUSTIC WAGON
    SAN ANTONIO, TX 78253

Order information
    2ea XR PRO 30-80 with Winthrop Terminator - Black/Silver
    Amount $1,030.00 USD
    Shipping $38.00 USD

Total $1,068.00 USD
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Sorry, I was going to help here, but I opened the link twice and both times a 2010 36’ Bertram for 250K popped up. Please, tell me this is the wrong link.

Terminator butts are $300 each. Rods are about 225 with standard butts.
    IMG_3008.jpgIMG_3007.jpg

I’d split the difference on the Talicas and TLDs and get the tyrnos. Almost the same money as TLDs.
    Pinnacle rods are good.

4-30w - 1 bent butt
    4-50w -2-3 bent butts

That will cover almost everything you will encounter

You need at least 7 outfits, if not 8 nine. I didn’t see a fighting chair so I’m assuming y’all will be fight stand up? If you didn’t want to shell out for all 50W’s, I’d get 6 30W’s (2 longs, 2 shorts, one corner/flatline, one spare). Then at least 2 50’s, preferably the tiagra 50LRSA so you get 40 pounds of drag, or the avet trx series so you get 100 pounds of drag for pulling a larger planer and use the other for your center line/shotgun (didn’t see a center rigger in the pictures). I also second pinnacle rods, I have several of them and have yet to have an issue with one. I have shimano tiagras and Tld’s on my boat and they both have worked well. I also have two of the avet trx 50’s on bent butts for planer rods and they work great except for the clicker being too quiet, this has been my experience when fishing with other avet ex series reel years ago. I have heard you can update/upgrade the clickers on the avets to make them louder but I haven’t messed with it yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

Ask ECU. He trolls every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    Sorry, I was going to help here, but I opened the link twice and both times a 2010 36’ Bertram for 250K popped up. Please, tell me this is the wrong link.
    Thank you, I was trying to figure out what to say myself.....

Quote Originally Posted by Black Bart View Post
    Thanks, Marcus. What rods and reels are you runnin' in your standard trolling spread?
    Internationals 30’s and 50’s on ain’t rods or Star Handcracfted. 2 AVET EX50w 2spd with top shots on Pinnacle bent butts.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

I'd actually appreciate your feedback, Pescado. Lemme hear it.

Quote Originally Posted by lil 2 sleepy View Post
    I’d split the difference on the Talicas and TLDs and get the tyrnos. Almost the same money as TLDs.
    Pinnacle rods are good.

4-30w - 1 bent butt
    4-50w -2-3 bent butts

That will cover almost everything you will encounter
    Thanks for the feedback, homie. Forgot about the Tyrnos. Pretty sure they're TLD's with metal bodies, so that's a definite possibility.

On another note, (4) 50's? Y'all normally run eight lines? That's impressive.

I sold all my 30w's and got speedmaster 2's. Did braid backing and mono top shot. 44 lb max drag and basically the same line capacity in a much more versitile set up. I did star paraflex stand up conventional rods. I feel like I could cast a crank bait or troll offshore with the same set up. I do have 3 50w's still though for wahoo/planer setups.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Tape View Post
    Pardon my (considerable) ignorance, but can someone please explain what I did wrong by posting the link?

JWS- I'm intrigued by the new speedmasters- let us know thoughts on how they are performing? I would push the TLD 50's as the utility do it all/most trolling reel. Not too heavy or wide for the crew and decent capacity for the capt learning to manage fish behind the boat. I'd also advocate keeping it simple to start (same/similar reels) all around as the capt and crew will start to develop their "own" wants and needs... ie specialty type tackle and reels. Yall will eventually get to a spot where your tackle matches whatever the target species may be: heavy 50's for wahoo/high speed, heavy 80's for lures, light 20-30's for circle hooks/sailfishing, 30-50's for pelagic trolling, pitch reels/rods for small/large billfish, etc etc.

I have a preference for the Shimano lines but they have known issues/nuances depending on the reel, size, product line. Talica, Tyrnos, Tiagras, TLD's on Pinnacle or Connely rods. We have tiagra and tyrnos 50's for pelagic trolling and the tiagras feel very cumbersome in hand but they are nice when you get a real fish(meat)on the end. Billfishing we went light 30's tyrnos with braid backing and 25lb mainline(tag and release). Light drags and chasing them up top. Inevitably we end up bringing(keeping) a pile of tackle of tackle on the boat with everything in between- again target species dependent(bent butts for wahoo/direct rigs for tuna/ kite gear/dredge/deep drop/etc).

In short start with the workhorse TLD and then yall can build from there based on style/personality of fishing. KISS method wins.
    George Carlin said it best, \'Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are stupider than that\'\'.

Thanks for the feedback, homie. Forgot about the Tyrnos. Pretty sure they're TLD's with metal bodies, so that's a definite possibility.

On another note, (4) 50's? Y'all normally run eight lines? That's impressive.
    Generally I pull 7, but have on a number of occasions pulled a good site more. I've been on a boat with 11-12, but that is a clusterfuck waiting to happen.

Id get that many 50s because of their versatility. You can pull them straight in the spread anywhere. You need it as a minimum for a planer rod, and if you high speed you need at least three, as a typical 30s drag is not up to that. (Yes the Talicas' are, but they are $ just to save a few oz). 30s are good for trolling and if you live bait at all they are lighter to handle than the 50s. Braid backing on everything. 50-65# on the 30s. 80-100# on the 50s.

There are definitely better reels than the Tyrnos, but for the retrieve rates, drag settings, capacity, and price, unless you're tournament fishing or chartering, you'll never get it out of them.

Pardon my (considerable) ignorance, but can someone please explain what I did wrong by posting the link?
    You’re good. My point, as always, is based in sarcasm. There are dozens of 36’ Topaz with diesels for around 50K. There are numerous BIG Bertram for 300K. Sooooooo many nice boats out there...THE last boat I would consider is a 36’ Bertram.