Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Collard recipe

Quote Originally Posted by duckcrazed View Post
    Happy to post mine, but requires a pile of bbq'ed pork bones and a good bit of time. I usually use 15-20 shoulder blades from butt's I've cooked, or the bones from a whole hog.

Fill a large stock pot over the top of the bones with cold water, bring to a low simmer, (usually setting 2 or 3 on a stove top), an occasional bubble or two is ok, but don't let it boil. I let the liquid simmer 24-36 hours, if needed, you can add water, generally reduce liquid by half to 3/4, but liquid reduction isn't the goal. I'll let cool, remove bones and skim. I make the broth and freeze what I don't need in gallon bags. A gallon will do collards for 40-50. One batch will make enough for collards for a few hundred, so you can definitely downsize stock, but I'd roll as many bones as you can get your hands on.

I usually cook the collards in a mix of 2/3 bone broth and 1/3 apple cider vinegar. You just barely want the liquid above the collards once they cook down. I'll add collards in batches, cook down and add a few more adjusting liquid once all the collards are in. I cook them at a low boil lid on for an hour, after that, add a handful of pulled pork, a good splash of Texas Pete, dark brown sugar to taste and salt and pepper. Continue cooking lid off at a low boil until liquid has been reduced to 1/4 or collards are done to liking. Adjust seasoning and serve....
    Second easiest recipe is to enlist the services of my Chondrichthial chef/brother and his recipe above. Even my mother says his are better than hers.

Yeah, those collards are like Ned's hash. It may sound easy, but it ain't and it ain't cheap to produce that kind of heaven either.

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Yeah, those collards are like Ned's hash. It may sound easy, but it ain't and it ain't cheap to produce that kind of heaven either.
    Mmmmm. Neds hash.

We need to get that band back together.

I look forward to them. I ate them for like two days, and could still taste oysters.. I didn't even want to wash my cardigan so I could smell the smoke a little longer. But Glenn wasn't there

A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

Something like this....

20201231_094612.jpg

Fishsticks , I imagine those will be damn good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by billyjack View Post
    That Goya Jambone is a good all-around seasoning for greens and peas/butterbeans.

I agree, we use it for any type of beans and some other things as well

Quote Originally Posted by Baggy View Post
    What salty said but instead of the brown sugar use molasses. And a little crystal.
    This. When I cook my collards I start with a Yuengling beer, some minced garlic, a little malt vinegar to take the acidity down a smidge, plus molasses and pepper (red or black) some salt. Cook low and slow.

Don't have exact amounts, I just always wing it. But don't use too much vinegar. Don't take much.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Oh yeah and some hot sauce.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

My ol lady did a damn fine job on em today. Neck bones and such. I hunted while she cooked for about 6 hours today. They were good as shit. Onion, red pepper, vinegar, etc. Some of the best I've had.

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerbdog View Post
    Scroll down to post #12 by Vikki. I have used that recipe many times with a lot of success. As it says, the key is cleaning them extremely well.

https://scducks.com/forum/showthread...light=collards
    I was reading through this thread the other day and decided that her recipe looked like an interesting method of collarding and figured I'd give it a shot. It did not disappoint.
    "Never Trust a Skinny Chef."

Best thing you can do for collards is use mustard greens.

Wife made a collard casserole tonight and it was great. Cornbread crumble topping.