Thread: two row no till dove field planting

Default two row no till dove field planting

trying to do the dove field a little different next year. looking for someone with some past experience using some sort of 2 row no till planter. is that even a real thing? just looking to try and cut out as many steps as possible mainly discing then having to come back to plant. it would be great to just plant through existing ground.
    For nothing will be impossible with CHRIST Luke 1:37

I've thought about adding coulters to my two row planter and doing the same thing. I planted some extra sunflowers with it without discing and it did fine. I need to up my game on herbicide use though. Every time you turn the dirt over, you plant new weeds from the residual seed bank.

I'm thinking about burning one field this year to remove the residual trash, then spraying and planting without discing.

I've got a good disc and a Perfecta cultivator that leaves a beautiful, smooth, flat field and it's just too tempting to do the tillage prep even though it might be better for the soil and weed management to till less.

BStick just bought a fancy no till drill that might do what you want. Most drills let you block off the drops so you can have less rows/wider spacing on rows.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    I've thought about adding coulters to my two row planter and doing the same thing. I planted some extra sunflowers with it without discing and it did fine. I need to up my game on herbicide use though. Every time you turn the dirt over, you plant new weeds from the residual seed bank.

I'm thinking about burning one field this year to remove the residual trash, then spraying and planting without discing.

I've got a good disc and a Perfecta cultivator that leaves a beautiful, smooth, flat field and it's just too tempting to do the tillage prep even though it might be better for the soil and weed management to till less.

BStick just bought a fancy no till drill that might do what you want. Most drills let you block off the drops so you can have less rows/wider spacing on rows.
    I hope this year I will have an answer on the sunflowers.

I plan on discing, dry run with the drill mostly to run the cultivator, spray, then plant.

I’ve got a 2 row JD 7000. Depending on location we might can work something out

Smilee, does yours have no till coulters?

Yes sir

My 7000 will plant the seed in red clay around here that was disced up within the last year. Anything over a year since tillage seems to produce sub-par sunflowers in my opinion. Root balls don't seem aggressive enough otherwise. Pre-emergent seems to be better than spending money on the coulters. I bought them with my planter before the craze hit the 7000 market.

That's helping to convince me to resist the temptation to get coulters/trash rakes, etc. Thanks.

My soil it pretty sandy and doesn't pack too badly. I bought the Perfecta a couple years ago and just love dragging it around. It does a very good job of smoothing out discing ruts and mounds and breaking up clods and it likes to run fast, around 8 mph, so you can get a lot done fast. A field looks so good after you're finished it makes planting easier. I don't have row markers on my planter so no-till would be a lot harder without obvious tire tracks to follow.

I have done it both ways. Even when we no till, the field has been disced a couple months prior. Usually February or early March. Burn down what comes up then plant. Not a farmer by any means but it works for us. My preferred way though is to start with a clean field.