Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Predator generator vs Honda generator

Default Predator generator vs Honda generator

Has anyone bought a Predator 3500 inverter generator from Harbor Freight? I was looking at the Honda ES3000i one and the predator popped up and the price grabbed my eye. $2200 vs $770. Normally I am Honda generator purist but for the price gap coupled with I really need 3200w minimum for my wife’s camper to run the AC. Any reviews or anyone taken a chance? Thanks
    cut\'em

I’ve heard good things

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do it and let us know please. I'm curious as well

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Brother in law has 3500i predator for his camper. No issues.

I have 2 predator generators that won't die. Maybe 10 yrs old, both running like a champ. Maintenance is adding oil when they shut off randomly.

Took a chance on the 2000 predator a few years ago and has been great. No issues at all and been used a good bit.

I’m just here waiting on the genset poets to chime in. I have a 2000 watt something. It’s orange. It’s cranks when I pull the cord and runs as long as it’s got gas in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Quote Originally Posted by FEETDOWN View Post
    I’m just here waiting on the genset poets to chime in. I have a 2000 watt something. It’s orange. It’s cranks when I pull the cord and runs as long as it’s got gas in it.
    I'll call this and raise you 3 "why does anyone need a generator"
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

don't pay for the name.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

This is why China wins.

The Predator 3500 was $639 last week vs almost $2000 for a Honda 3500. I know good and well that its technology stolen by the Chi-Coms but hey, its a deal.

I have twin Honda 2000's in parallel for my camper. If I had to buy again, I would be hard pressed not to go with Harbor Freight.

Reviews on them are great.
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

Quote Originally Posted by FEETDOWN View Post
    Predator is the RTIC cooler of generators........

Quote Originally Posted by TheVisorGuy View Post
    I'll call this and raise you 3 "why does anyone need a generator"
    Oh they’re needed, but if they crank up when I pull the cord, why should I give a damn what color they are?

Quote Originally Posted by Whackumstackum View Post
    Predator is the RTIC cooler of generators........
    Might be, but you’ve never seen me start a thread asking about a predator warranty claim either have you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Damn

Quote Originally Posted by Jscrapmetal View Post
    Damn
    He’s right you know...
    More fuel = more boost!!

Many years ago I bought a Blue 3500 watt gen from HF to use building deer stands etc. out in the woods. It worked great.(still does) During one outage we ran it to run some lights/coffee pot/computer/tv/ electric skillet etc. It did well but wouldn't pull the pump. Several years ago I bought an 8500 watt Predator.(electric start) I made a"suicide cord" that runs from the generator to the socket for my stove(50 amps). I can and have run the whole house/pump with this. Only thing I can run is the heat pump. When I'm through running them I cut the gas off and let the engine starve out and shut down. I store them this way. I can cut the gas on and 2-3 pulls the little one will start. The big one is the same way. Overall I'm way satisfied with both.

I can't speak to the generator other than I've eyeballed them myself, but Predator seems to be a great engine and generator. Good reviews all the way around. I know it's a go to motor for golf cart projects.

I don’t know anything about the Predator, but there would be two things to check...

1. How many hours is the engine rated for? Many of the cheaper ones are only rated for something like 350 hours, or used to be. The Honda is rated for upwards of 2000(?). So you just need to decide what your target use is, and how much of it;

2. The gen-set itself. The Honda is rated to run electronic equipment without needing a power conditioner inline. Most of the cheaper ones don’t have that protection and can fry computers, TV’s, and electric motors over time. Maybe you’ll get lucky and never see it, but it is a risk factor... or used to be when I looked into it years ago before I bought my Honda 6500 watt to run the house on (no microwaves, electric broilers, or portable heaters allowed as they suck up a good amount of the amperage). It’s fine with the A/C, gas water heater, gas appliances,refrigerator, freezer, etc.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Quote Originally Posted by DRDUCK View Post
    don't pay for the name.
    From the raw materiel in Kobe Steel, to engineering, practices, standards, down to assembly, the Japanese company is going to offer you better quality than the CCP controlled China knockoff every time. Let's not sit here and pretend that isn't true...

Less than 50hr a year use makes it appetizing to buy the cheaper generator but at least with a Honda I can get service and know it is made of quality components
    cut\'em

Plus the Japanese ones come with their patented radiation barrier that keeps the spiders away when not in use...