Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Building a new pond

Default Building a new pond

Just bought a new piece of property and playing with the idea of digging a pond. Will attach a aerial photo of property and location of pond. My questions are pros/cons, permits,cost, contacts etc.
    The white line coming of location of pond is where I think drain pipe for pond should go due to property sloping downhill from the 12-3 o clock.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by rodandgun83; 12-16-2020 at 08:23 PM.
    Non Supporting Member

Not sure about that, but make sure the water level can be controlled well. The one right down the road with the driveways on each side floods over those driveways all the time.
    Last edited by davisd9; 12-16-2020 at 08:32 PM.
    Psalm 42:1 "As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God."

If not in floodplain or designated wetland I don’t think you need a permit. I would ask NRCS how much runoff you can expect to collect given topography and what size pond they recommend, and then build something smaller. I spent a lot of money digging a big hole that hasn’t filled up in six years. I built a three acre pond that’s supposed to catch about 90 acres of runoff and never even gotten the entire bottom covered. Hope to have electricity by the spring so I can pump but it’s been a huge PITA
    Carolina Counsel

I don’t know about the pond but if you were trying to hide your property location from somebody, you did a terrible job. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are there any deer
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Have fun with the permitting

Loggers going into Bowater will be fishing it like crazy! LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghetto View Post
    A larger caliber will help you with your deer kills. Try it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    I agree with timber22

Does not appear to be stream fed? If this is the case, you will need around a 20 acre drainage area going to the pond for every 0.5 acres of pond surface area to maintain water levels. This is just a rule of thumb and more area will be needed for HSG (hydraulic soil groups) C or D. If your near the coast and digging a groundwater pond then its just a matter of digging a hole while keeping the excavator dry...

No permits required if not fed by stream or in a wetland...

Edit - just noticed Catawba in the map, you will need around 20 acres draining to the pond for every 1/2 acre of pond area. You should be in a HSG B unless your below the fall line.
    Last edited by BrandonWagner; 12-16-2020 at 09:54 PM.

I had the similar plans when I bought my property 8+ years ago, except I was planning to dam a creek. Boy was that a stupid adventure. I spent quite a few days in Columbia “discussing” with ACoE, and had them out to my property multiple times. They always recommended hiring an environmental consultant, that just pissed me off. I figured a person trying to do the right thing should be able to work that out on his on-especially on his property regardless of regulations. Anyway, I finally got approval for a few different areas-but not damming a creek. CC is right make sure you study watershed area- very important to keep a catch basin pond full. I’ve been lucky, mine is about 1.2 acres and has stayed relatively full since I built it two years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina Counsel View Post
    If not in floodplain or designated wetland I don’t think you need a permit. I would ask NRCS how much runoff you can expect to collect given topography and what size pond they recommend, and then build something smaller. I spent a lot of money digging a big hole that hasn’t filled up in six years. I built a three acre pond that’s supposed to catch about 90 acres of runoff and never even gotten the entire bottom covered. Hope to have electricity by the spring so I can pump but it’s been a huge PITA
    Need a clay packed bottom....& 90 acres draining to a common point in Greenville without a small stream is pretty rare (not unheard of, but rare with Greenville’s topography) You sure about that watershed delieneation?
    Last edited by BrandonWagner; 12-16-2020 at 10:20 PM.

I just don't see where the water is going to come from at that location.

Quote Originally Posted by BrandonWagner View Post
    Need a clay packed bottom....& 90 acres draining to a common point in Greenville without a small stream is pretty rare (not unheard of, but rare with Greenville’s topography) You sure about that watershed delieneation?
    Oh it's clay packed. I was being tongue in cheek about just "digging a big hole." We hauled who knows how many hundred tons of clay from my dove field down to the pond site. NRCS studied and confirmed the watershed, but no, I'm not sure given the results.
    Carolina Counsel

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina Counsel View Post
    Oh it's clay packed. I was being tongue in cheek about just "digging a big hole." We hauled who knows how many hundred tons of clay from my dove field down to the pond site. NRCS studied and confirmed the watershed, but no, I'm not sure given the results.
    Gotcha. A 3 acre watershed pond is going to be tough to keep full without a steady inflow...If you want to PM me the pond location, I’ll take a look at it on the GIS map.
    Last edited by BrandonWagner; 12-17-2020 at 08:46 AM.

I'm going through this process now. It's not as hard as folks make it sound.

Send me a PM and I'll pass along some information so as to not upset the apple cart concerning site sponsors and such.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

If you are digging a pond that close to a public road, you will be forever picking up blue worm buckets and McDonalds bags/wrappers.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    If you are digging a pond that close to a public road, you will be forever picking up blue worm buckets and McDonalds bags/wrappers.
    I thought about that and wondered about building a large berm along the road. Maybe block the view of the pond from the general public.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Steelin' Ducks is the KRT of suppressors and such.

Quote Originally Posted by turbo View Post
    I'm going through this process now. It's not as hard as folks make it sound.

Send me a PM and I'll pass along some information so as to not upset the apple cart concerning site sponsors and such.
    I just glanced at the topography map. If he builds a pond in that spot, it will never be more than a mud puddle.

Quote Originally Posted by BrandonWagner View Post
    I just glanced at the topography map. If he builds a pond in that spot, it will never be more than a mud puddle.
    I'd like to get you to look at a spot for me if you will?

Quote Originally Posted by CurLee View Post
    I'd like to get you to look at a spot for me if you will?
    Sure, post a screenshot on here or send me a PM and I’ll give you my cell number

Quote Originally Posted by davisd9 View Post
    Not sure about that, but make sure the water level can be controlled well. The one right down the road with the driveways on each side floods over those driveways all the time.
    That's my grandfather's place. It's always a fight after heavy rains.
    Last edited by rodandgun83; 12-17-2020 at 09:01 PM.
    Non Supporting Member