Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Baracuda

Quote Originally Posted by Jozie & Me View Post
    Yep, next somebody is gonna post grandma’s recipe for mudfish and carp.
    I could fillet and cook them up and you’d have no idea I mixed barracuda with your snapper and panfish fry. Ciguatera is from the consumption of reef species. All fish get it such as big grouper, snapper..

If they are 18” and less they are feeding on nothing but glass minnows not causing harm. I don’t keep them anymore but when I was younger and didn’t have the equipment I do now they were on the table from time to time

Knock yourself you.

I pride myself on frying shit.. even though I don't talk about it. And I've cooked and eaten more species of game and fish than I can count. I don't remember barracuda though.. I haven't cooked any I've caught, mudfish I have.. The only fish that I really dissliked cleaning was a monkfish. That f***** was gross, it was like a fat nasty bullfrog.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    Barracuda? Really?
    Don’t knock it til you try it

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    Barracuda? Really?
    These too...

That's why I don't dive with a ring on.

When I was a kid my dad had a buddy that would trade other fish for barracuda at the end of the day when everyone was tied back up at the dock. I don’t know that I have ever had it. If I inadvertently catch one they don’t come in the boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TJR View Post
    Don’t knock it til you try it
    What I “try” is to never let one of those bullshit fish get near a hook.

My kid speared one in the Keys when he was 13 or so. Small guy. 20". He said that the 'cuda dared him to do it because he wouldnt move.

In keeping with our practice of "from field to table" I fileted that SOB and grilled it scales down. It was fit eating.

I also eat liver puddin and other things that uppity folks say "shouldnt be food".
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

I was on a bonefishing trip in Los Roques, Venezuela and the guides, who worked for only tips, saw a cuda hanging around. In their broken English, they asked if we minded if they tried to catch it. We figured they had families to feed so we said go for it. They pulled out their surf rod with a cuda tube and quickly caught him and threw him in the bilge of the boat. Ice isn't a thing they use a lot down there. This was around noon. That evening, back at the posada (bed and breakfast), we were served a delicious meal with a flaky white fish. After we all expressed our satisfaction, they told us it was that same cuda they caught earlier that rode in the tropically warm bilge for half a day. I must confess it was delicious.

On another bonefishing trip to the bottom end of Andros, the same group of friends set up a friendly tournament for the day. It was strictly numbers per boat and the only rule was that a fish couldn't be counted as caught until the hook had been touched while in his mouth. After a fair half day of fishing and once the tide got up a bit, my companion and I corralled a school of bones harbored up in a cove in the mangroves. We got out of the boat in crotch deep water and commenced to picking off one after another. A ~3' barracuda showed up and hung near us for a while as we kept fishing. My partner got a medium sized bone up next to him and was reaching to grab the hook to release him when the water exploded. After a few seconds of startle, he pulled up the still gasping head of the fish still on his hook, cut off cleanly right behind the gills. We decided to stop when we hit fifty fish. We easily won the tournament and I doubt I'll ever get a chance to bail bones like that again. My buddy probably still takes a hard look around before he reaches to land a fish.
    Last edited by Palmetto Bug; 12-18-2020 at 08:20 PM.

Please feel free to eat my share.

dont you people dare bring liver pudding into this discussion...
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

It should not be mixed with grits

I had some fresh fried mullets a few months ago. Whole mullets. They were tasty. Smoked mullets make some of the best fish dip.
    Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    Monsters... Be damned if I'd ever be taken alive by the likes of faggot musslims.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I am an equal opportunity hater.

dont you people dare bring liver pudding into this discussion...
    Fish liver puddin? That could be something.
    Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    Monsters... Be damned if I'd ever be taken alive by the likes of faggot musslims.
    I am an equal opportunity hater.

I’m out.

I don't think he's planning on grinding you up..

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I don't think he's planning on grinding you up..
    I giggled
    http://tektongamecalls.com

Tekton Game Calls

843-290-9569

I'm serious J, y'all need to get up here and play.. it's pretty impressive what's been happening over the last year. after mid Jan though, not because of ducks.. just simply because we need to get our new carts in. And the weather.