Thread: Jimmy Stewart

Default Jimmy Stewart

Most of us have seen "It's A Wonderful Life" and for many it's a holiday tradition. I knew some of what follows, but some of it was surprising.

Months after winning his 1941 Academy Award for best actor in “The Philadelphia Story,” Jimmy Stewart, one of the best-known actors of the day, left Hollywood and joined the US Army. He was the first big-name movie star to enlist in World War II.
    An accomplished private pilot, the 33-year-old Hollywood icon became a US Army Air Force aviator, earning his 2nd Lieutenant commission in early 1942. With his celebrity status and huge popularity with the American public, he was assigned to starring in recruiting films, attending rallies, and training younger pilots.
    Stewart, however, wasn’t satisfied. He wanted to fly combat missions in Europe, not spend time in a stateside training command. By 1944, frustrated and feeling the war was passing him by, he asked his commanding officer to transfer him to a unit deploying to Europe. His request was reluctantly granted.
    Stewart, now a Captain, was sent to England, where he spent the next 18 months flying B-24 Liberator bombers over Germany. Throughout his time overseas, the US Army Air Corps' top brass had tried to keep the popular movie star from flying over enemy territory. But Stewart would hear nothing of it.
    Determined to lead by example, he bucked the system, assigning himself to every combat mission he could. By the end of the war he was one of the most respected and decorated pilots in his unit.
    But his wartime service came at a high personal price.
    In the final months of WWII he was grounded for being “flak happy,” today called Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD).
    When he returned to the US in August 1945, Stewart was a changed man. He had lost so much weight that he looked sickly. He rarely slept, and when he did he had nightmares of planes exploding and men falling through the air screaming (in one mission alone his unit had lost 13 planes and 130 men, most of whom he knew personally).
    He was depressed, couldn’t focus, and refused to talk to anyone about his war experiences. His acting career was all but over.
    As one of Stewart's biographers put it, "Every decision he made [during the war] was going to preserve life or cost lives. He took back to Hollywood all the stress that he had built up.”
    In 1946 he got his break. He took the role of George Bailey, the suicidal father in “It’s a Wonderful Life.” The rest is history.
    Actors and crew of the set realized that in many of the disturbing scenes of George Bailey unraveling in front of his family, Stewart wasn’t acting. His PTSD was being captured on film for potentially millions to see.
    But despite Stewart's inner turmoil, making the movie was therapeutic for the combat veteran. He would go on to become one of the most accomplished and loved actors in American history.
    When asked in 1941 why he wanted to leave his acting career to fly combat missions over Nazi Germany, he said, "This country's conscience is bigger than all the studios in Hollywood put together, and the time will come when we'll have to fight.”
    This holiday season, as many of us watch the classic Christmas film, “It’s A Wonderful Life,” it’s also a fitting time to remember the sacrifices of Jimmy Stewart and all the men who gave up so much to serve their country during wartime. We will always remember you!
    Postscript:
    While fighting in Europe, Stewart's Oscar statue was proudly displayed in his father’s Pennsylvania hardware store. Throughout his life, the beloved actor always said his father, a World War I veteran, was the person who had made the biggest impact on him.
    Jimmy Stewart remained in the USAF Reserve following the war, retiring as a Brigadier General in 1968. He was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom in 1985 and died in 1997 at the age of 89.
    -- Ned Forney, Writer, Saluting America's Veterans
    \"Free your mind, your ass will follow\"

Good stuff.

I knew none of that.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

That’s cool. Will make me look at that movie differently.
    Last edited by Cwaysvt; 12-14-2020 at 09:23 PM.

Default Jimmy Stewart

Ned was in my company at The Citadel and a great American.

Follow his blog - http://nedforney.com/index.php/blog/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by boondoggle; 12-14-2020 at 09:45 PM.
    "The real reason fish jump - they don't have a middle finger!"

Quote Originally Posted by turbo View Post
    Good stuff.

I knew none of that.
    Nor did I.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

I had no idea. Great story. As stated above, I will look at that iconic movie differently now.

Quote Originally Posted by turbo View Post
    Good stuff.

I knew none of that.
    Same here. Thank you, Shotunderit.

Great story. My American History professor in college was a West Point Grad, Green Beret and Vietnam vet. He took most of a week and covered the " celebrities" who served in the military during WW2 and Korea. Vietnam was too fresh in 1980 for him to speak about. He took great pride in the telling of the stories of men like James Stewart, Clark Gable, Audie Murphy , Steve McQueen, Charles Bronson, Mel Brooks, James Garner, Art Carney ( Normandy invasion), Lee Marvin , Henry Fonda ( Bronze Star medal) and many I have forgotten. Brave men all..
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Didn't know he flew B24. My Dad was flight engineer on B24 out of Italy
    Bluetick

very cool.

as an aside, the actor that played pappy o'daniel in oh brother where art thou, charles durning, was part of the first wave of troops to hit omaha beach. according to wikipedia, he was the only survivor of his unit that hit that beach. he was wounded but came back out fought through the battle of the bulge. he passed away only a few years back in 2012. the greatest generation indeed.
    "JUST BECAUSE I AM NOT A GOOD SPELLER DOESN'T MEAN MY JEAN POLL IS GONNA BE BAD."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    There's evidence coming out...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cottontop74 View Post
    I dabble in a lot of things, but don't get too technical with any of them.

It is interesting to note that Gen. Stewart asked the Air Force if he could come out of retirement and go drop some ordinance on the Communist Vietnamese. Hollywood was certainly anti war at that time, and he was given the go to fly missions.

Fast forward to now and it is the left wing who are shilling for the Military Industrial Complex...

I don't see the likes of George Clooney or Adam Rufallo scrambling to serve in WWIII.
    DILLIGAF

Quote Originally Posted by Hogg View Post
    I don't see the likes of George Clooney or Adam Rufallo scrambling to serve in WWIII.
    We've still got Toby keith

Quote Originally Posted by ziggy View Post
    very cool.

as an aside, the actor that played pappy o'daniel in oh brother where art thou, charles durning, was part of the first wave of troops to hit omaha beach. according to wikipedia, he was the only survivor of his unit that hit that beach. he was wounded but came back out fought through the battle of the bulge. he passed away only a few years back in 2012. the greatest generation indeed.
    Durning is buried in Arlington National Cemetery. Hero for sure. Silver Star and Bronze Star awards.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.