Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dog ate Hot Hands Hand Warmer

Default Dog ate Hot Hands Hand Warmer

My 1 yo golden tore open a hand warmer last Monday or Tuesday (week ago today). He and our small lap dog were in it when I caught them and have both had major mud squirts all over the house (love waking up to that on a Monday!). Our small dog started last Wednesday and our big dog started last night. Both threw up a little in the last few days. Poison control indicated the delay between exposure and symptoms makes them think it's unrelated (for the big dog). Their bigger concern is internal bleeding due to burn, since the heaters hadn't been used. There's no blood in their stool. Neither are more lethargic than normal or acting different at all. My big concern is long term iron toxicity. Poison control indicated the iron turns to rust and passes, and the vet didn't really know buy agreed that sounded right.

Can the vets on board chime in with their opinion?

Can anyone give advice on cleaning up a ton of diarrhea on long pile carpet?

I also cooked venison dog treats over the fire in a dutch oven last weekend. I cooked scrap cuts in bacon grease to well done. Dogs love it, but farts reach a whole new level of stink. They ate quite a few last weekend, but cut them off on Wednesday when the small dogs flood gate opened. Other than that, they haven't had any changes in lifestyle.

I'd have taken them both to the vet when I caught them eating it instead of waiting a week and asking an internet forum, but thats just me.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Carpet solution is to rip it out and replace it.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Eat a piece of one yourself and go from there on the doggie diagnosis.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    Some pretty solid advice so far...

My dog got into a desiccant pack once, with similar results. We took it to the vet and the vet said it would pass. It did and so did everything else.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

This thread has potential......

Quote Originally Posted by FEETDOWN View Post
    I'd have taken them both to the vet when I caught them eating it instead of waiting a week and asking an internet forum, but thats just me.....
    They weren't eating it, but had torn it up and spread it everywhere and I wasn't sure if they had ingested any.
    Sorry for thinking someone on here may have had experience with this, being that hand warmers, hunting, and dogs tend to go hand and hand. If I had taken them to the vet, there's thousands of dollars of testing they would have done as precautionary to send me home and tell me to watch them and call if they start having symptoms. With Christmas, 3 kids, and a wife that barely works, thousands for the dogs isn't exactly in the budget. I've been around hunting dogs a lot and most of us aren't quick to race a dog to the vet, anytime the do something stupid, eat something bad, or get a minor injury, but that's just me....

I almost stopped reading at “lap dog”. Very glad I didn’t. Get some goats
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Delete this thread, Hickory, kind sir.

Dogs are tough and resilient. They will be fine once they get it all out of their system. Animals are uncivilized and thus should live outside. Animals do not have a place inside a house. If you play with fire you will get burned, (you’ll have piss and shit in your house).

Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    I almost stopped reading at “lap dog”. Very glad I didn’t. Get some goats
    Should have said, "wife and kids yorkie-poo lap dog". Hate to admit it, but he's been a hell of a good dog and will let you know if there's anything moving outside. Thinks he's a Rottweiler and isn't afraid of shit. That'll likely be his demise. The english cream golden is a service dog in training for my son. I've read some of the opinions on service dogs here and chose not to argue with some of the idiots.

Just go ahead and feed them something really greasy and give them the sho nuff shits to make sure it cleans them out good!

Quote Originally Posted by FEETDOWN View Post
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    Yep. There's a guy here in Pawleys who quoted $150 to clear all 4 bedrooms for $150. haha
    I gagged the whole time, but picked up as much as I could and got carpet cleaner and a boat brush and scrubbed like hell. Have a fan on it now. Smells like the vet inside

Quote Originally Posted by Baggy View Post
    Eat a piece of one yourself and go from there on the doggie diagnosis.
    Yeah I did. Nice bacon and oak flavor. Had the shits the next day, but the bourbon around the fire was likely the culprit.

Sounds like a hot mess.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

:snicker:

english cream? wtf does that mean?
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Shitty situation.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    english cream? wtf does that mean?
    Sounds like some gay ass coffee drink.