Thread: Pasture size - Goats/Sheep/Highland

Default Pasture size - Goats/Sheep/Highland

I have 12 acres, all wooded currently. Home build will be complete around aug, and i want some animals. Thinking about a couple goats and/or sheep, chickens, cow.

How big of a pasture would i need to clear and plant to keep it from becoming pure dirt? I want to keep as much wooded as possible, so was thinking about clearing 4 acres and maybe dividing it in half to be able to rotate, but didn't how many animals that could support without decimating whatever is planted.
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    -Samuel Adams

Just get however many cows it will hold. Goats are a pain in the ass. No opinion on the sheep.
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    Man is merely a two legged locust, devouring wild lands, developing and prostituting wildlife and fisheries under the guise of "use of the resource" for tremendous profit and moving on. Will it ever end?

Sheep are grazers. Goats are browsers. In SC you want to keep them off an already grazed pasture for at least 3mo, 6 is better, to control parasite load. Barberpol is a bitch. Since you're planting anyway look into lespedeza as it's high in tannins and creates an environment in the stomachs that parasites cant survive. Very stemmy too so goats love it.

We have three donkeys on nearly 3 acres and still have to mow in the hot months. They do require dust rolling areas but there's no sign of overgrazing. But this land has been a pasture for decades with established grass.

Goats can hop out of any fenced area that has wood H shaped posts at some juncture. [I don't know the real term for those posts.] One of our neighbor's goats is a frequent visitor. Coyotes can do the same and will do so to get at chickens.

Dividing it in half is a good idea in case you ever want to separate critters but not necessarily because of overgrazing. We had to lay fence on Labor Day to separate our jack from the jennet and her foal until his gelding in November.

IMO, you'll want to build a shelter against your predominant wind and do so with the way runoff occurs on your lot in mind. The shelter we currently have is one we inherited and it was put in the wrong spot in terms of standing water during a storm.

nice tip on the shelter and fence. things people wouldn't think of without someone who's been there. We also go a pair of great pyrenees to live with the animals and hopefully keep the yotes at bay.

Curlee, how will that translate into pasture rotation? every six months? want to make sure i'm following you.
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    -Samuel Adams

Yes. Some say eight. When you rotate off one area you want to keep them off so the larvae dont find a host and die. New animals can bring worms in but they are already there. As far as cattle I only have Zebu and they are parasite resistant but I dont know much about large breeds yet. I like the idea of being able to split and butcher a 500lb steer by myself as compared to something 1200lb+ Problem with rotating is shelter. I have a couple permanent shelters and working on two that I can drag with the tractor, otherwise I'd need like 12 permanent sheds....

I'm with you. looking at small breeds myself for that reason and the limited space. Thinking about a "miniature" Scottish highland that are 500-700#.
    Last edited by everlast; 12-09-2020 at 12:13 PM.
    -Samuel Adams