Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Whole Hog BBQ ???

Quote Originally Posted by Islandguy85 View Post
    Could you provide a bit of info on the scalding a d hair removal part? I imagine it is fairly straight forward but I have never done it.
    Potentially interested in doing this with small/medium wild hogs we shoot in effort to utilize them best without using a processor.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You've gotta scald shortly after he dies, or the hair sets and wont pull out.

My great and grand parents would have a syrup kettle over a fire, and boil fat lighter chunks to release the rosin then use their hands to pull the hair. It's messy, nasty, and labor intensive. Charlie Horse's crowd put the pig on a table and covered it with towels and would pour hot water over the pig and then you pull. Any hair that was missed and set, a big guy with a blow torch would "swinge" it off.
    Last edited by BigBrother; 12-07-2020 at 03:59 PM.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Default Whole Hog BBQ ???

This cooker will maintain 225 with very little work. Tilt one of the blocks down at a 45 from either side to control temp. The hole to shovel and regulate heat is two blocks tall, one on both ends opposite sides. Rebar across the middle. Plywood lid. It’s best to have two burn barrels to get it going then cut down to one but not necessary. Plan on two hours to get your cook to temp once you light your first burn barrel. Have fun

Also set your burn barrels close to the sides for radiant heat. You don’t need to put anything in the wall cavities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by tailwalkin79; 12-07-2020 at 04:07 PM.

Do use vinegar based BBQ sauce
    Don't use any other type sauce

Quote Originally Posted by FishSticker View Post
    Cinder blocks, a piece of expanded steel, and corrugated roofing tin is all you need...separate burn barrel for coals.

1st time I'd recommend going with a smaller pig...50-70# instead of starting with a 200#. Spend time prepping the pig....get rid of all the crap fat, silver skin, and trim a bunch of skin off the hams to get more seasoning/bark. Also, make sure all the glands and the spinal cord are removed. The biggest mistake i see most folks make is to not allow the pig to come up to temp before throwing it in the pit. Do NOT pull it straight out of the cooler and throw it on the cooker. Let it come up to ambient temp and start sweating before she goes on the heat.

I have grown up always flipping ours(You'll find most Carolina folks do this)....ribs down for the first half of the cook, and then flip her and start basting every hour or until she's done. Just a personal opinion, but I have found that the meat has more of a boiled texture/gray color(crock pot pork) when the fat cooks in the skin the whole time, as opposed to the actual smoke ring that forms when cooking it ribs down to start.
    This

Will killed this one Saturday morning, skinned and made into sausage and puddin.

6EA610B2-3B80-4C4F-8DBB-61E7DBCADD68.jpg

What fishsticker said. I haven't cooked one over coals in a long time. But I can.
    Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    Monsters... Be damned if I'd ever be taken alive by the likes of faggot musslims.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I am an equal opportunity hater.

We used to kill them scald them and cook them also. A lot of damn work but some damn good food!
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Small hog and some butts and hams
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

fishsticker way works great- I have cooked a few- seen rasslin matches over the ribs an keep yo hands off my cracklins. Works best if you start Friday night and finish Sat with a big jug of shine to fuel the operation.

Simple but yet effective.

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Tapatalk
    Reality is only an illusion
    that occurs due to a lack of alcohol.

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity”. Sigmund Freud

Quote Originally Posted by badfaulkner View Post

......Some of you guys are fastidious and choosy to the point of near faggotry.

I like the flamethrower and a machete scraping technique for hair removal.