Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Picture to Painting of Dog

Pam Corwin. She did a pencil drawing of Thatch and has been commissioned for many more dogs since.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    We graduated from the same art school

My mother was an artist and painter. She occasionally did portraits and commissioned paintings. Since early childhood I was used as an original critic on her paintings. Mom would ask if there was anything about a painting that I didn't like. Consequently I bare a curse that is the habit of looking for fault in any painting. I can find fault in most paintings. I buy art that I like but I won't gamble that I'll like something I haven't seen. Experience has pushed me to the point that I would never commission a painting. The huge divide between what you ask for and what the artist thinks you asked for can set you up for expensive disappointment. Yet when they finish the portrait of your dog, you have to pay for it no matter if you like it or not. It might be a great portrait....except for one little niggling thing that you wish was different. That one little thing will draw your eye to it forever more.

I have been much happier taking pictures of dogs and having them transformed into framed art. I have some raw photos that made great wall-hangers without modification. I also have some modified photo giclee images that are my favorite treasures. A giclee is not much more than a photoshopped photo that ends up looking like a brushed painting. You can make edits and revisions until it looks like what you envisioned.

One of my favorite framed pictures is an image my wife snapped on a day we played in the marsh and intentionally got stranded high and dry. The composition of the picture just jumped out of the rest of the photos so we had it printed.
    flats boat pups.jpg

Pretty sure that Greg Joens fella did this one too.....

Then there’s this guy.....

predator vulva
    Last edited by Highstrung; 12-04-2020 at 08:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    Top shelf work there....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Can you draw me a duck stamp?

Perfection. Thank you

That Greg dude that can’t spell also did this one.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    My mother was an artist and painter. She occasionally did portraits and commissioned paintings. Since early childhood I was used as an original critic on her paintings. Mom would ask if there was anything about a painting that I didn't like. Consequently I bare a curse that is the habit of looking for fault in any painting. I can find fault in most paintings. I buy art that I like but I won't gamble that I'll like something I haven't seen. Experience has pushed me to the point that I would never commission a painting. The huge divide between what you ask for and what the artist thinks you asked for can set you up for expensive disappointment. Yet when they finish the portrait of your dog, you have to pay for it no matter if you like it or not. It might be a great portrait....except for one little niggling thing that you wish was different. That one little thing will draw your eye to it forever more.

I have been much happier taking pictures of dogs and having them transformed into framed art. I have some raw photos that made great wall-hangers without modification. I also have some modified photo giclee images that are my favorite treasures. A giclee is not much more than a photoshopped photo that ends up looking like a brushed painting. You can make edits and revisions until it looks like what you envisioned.

One of my favorite framed pictures is an image my wife snapped on a day we played in the marsh and intentionally got stranded high and dry. The composition of the picture just jumped out of the rest of the photos so we had it printed.
    flats boat pups.jpg
    I agree. I see fault in every drawing/painting because I have a brother that is extremely talented. He does absolutely nothing with his talent, but I've never seen anybody more talented with a pencil. It's a shame really.
    Crops are harvested, animals are killed.

Bucky Bowles is very talented and a great guy.
    http://buckybowles.com/gallery_print.php

My mom had the art teacher at the school she works at do a drawing of a dog for both my sister and I. All she had to go off was a cell phone pic my mom took one day of Jake sitting on my truck toolbox. It’s not the greatest in the world but it means a lot to me, I think she could’ve done better with a different picture to go off of
    C871D91D-BC15-45E7-A91F-8F85F782AEBC.jpg

Several years ago, I was down at the farm and walked around the side of one of the barns to take a leak, something in the dirt caught my eye. It was a porcelain figurine of a dog, 90% buried in the ground. I don’t know how long it had been there, it should have been broken but it was in one complete piece. I dug it up, washed it off and had it probably a year or more before my mom gave me the drawing for Jake. I gave her the figurine and asked to give it to the art teacher for me to see what she could do with it. I thought she did a good job with it.
    BE357CB4-095B-445C-BF84-4C45D6DDD4F7.jpg
    Last edited by Duck cutter; 12-04-2020 at 09:59 PM.
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

If it were me I would definitely hire Ralph.

My son is a professional artist and very reasonable. Call him at 843-929-4658. He rally does an amazing job. One of my prized possessions is a Golden Retriever he did for me when he was only 16

I received this for Christmas, sherpa lined throw from Shutterfly. The quality of the image reproduction is very good as well as the material used in the throw.

20201229_071051.jpg

9E9C9032-BBE6-4ED4-8907-E3ED30A78A4E.jpg

A guy in aiken did this for me. Pm me if you'd like his contact
    Last edited by drewb; 12-29-2020 at 08:51 AM.

I really like this guy's work, enough to have 2 of his prints hanging in the house. https://www.williamharrisonartist.com/works

Check out some of his charcoal sketches of people (especially the Outlaws and Patriots section) and musicians as it's easy to think they're photos...
    Last edited by Gunning Bird; 12-29-2020 at 09:53 AM.