Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Exits

12ga 00 at 7steps he toted it 75yards blood trail looked like you walked through the woods with a 5gal bucket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Betwe woulda been a good one last year. Nice!
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You're also one of select few clemings with sense.

Quote Originally Posted by CAJUN LAB View Post

12ga 00 at 7steps he toted it 75yards blood trail looked like you walked through the woods with a 5gal bucket.

Amazing what they can take. Few years ago I took a 12 y/o kid rattling. The moment he shot the buck at 20 yards with a 7-08, I jumped up and gave him 3 loads of 3’’ #1B. I put 72 pellets in his shoulder and neck. SOB still went 80 yards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

Talk about punishment, I shot this one with the same .300WM load one night over a feeder light. The muzzle flash made me lose him and I thought he'd gone in the woods to my right. I walked down to about where I'd shot him and caught movement to my left, the SOB was up on his back legs. I let him have a load of 3" #1B at about 15', he turned and looked at me getting up on broke shoulders, hell I gave him 3 more just to quiet him down. Still took another 5 minutes to take his last breath.

That cut section is where the bullet exited, you could peel his shield up about 3-4".

Hog1.jpg
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

6.5 143gr Hornady Precision Hunter 60yd shot deer ran 40yds heavy blood trial.
    This is the 4th deer I’ve killed with this rifle/ammo and this is the only good exit I have gotten.

13C1A289-2979-4C45-808F-E46DEA5FDD70.jpg

I mostly shoot the biggest target presented and taking into account I plan to eat it and hate to waste meat. Usually go for lungs unless I need to drop it right there, close to property line, big buck or thick nasty cover already stated. I’ve bug eyed a few deer and neck shot some. It’s all cool till they move at the wrong split second. No need for trick shot these days. You hit one in the boiler room and they usually bleed fine, even with a pee dabbler .243 or even a dull bladed BH.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Maybe I've just been lucky, but shooting various 130 gr .270, I've never had a deer go more than 20 yards, and that's when I made a bad shot or shot them double lungs. Most of the time, knowing where a deer's spine is (about middle body/slightly above mid body) at the base of the neck above the front legs, I place my shot there...and whether it hits the spine or not, is close enough that the hydrostatic shock disrupts the spine and down they go.
    I never thought about it before shooting the deer I shot this year, but I've never hit a deer with a rifle (a pile with .270 and one with .308) that I didn't find, and I've never had to track one to find it. Shoot them mid body where the neck starts to flare out straight above and 2 inches in front of the front legs, and they aren't going anywhere but down.
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

Tonight, a friend shot this one 350yds, she made it 10yds. 7mag, Barnes ttsx 140gr
    C7EAE944-8299-4B7B-AB5E-08CE7C46ACAC.jpg

Ran 40 yards into a damn thick cutover.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

69BB5661-095B-41E6-AE09-CF68144F127D.jpg
    6.5 143ELD X this one dropped right in his tracks but not much on the exit.

C975EE76-1B2E-4B7A-90E5-BBCD15212D64.jpg
    6.5 143 ELD much better exits but still had 40-50 yards
    George Carlin said it best, \'Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are stupider than that\'\'.

Quote Originally Posted by MolliesMaster View Post
    I'm a big fan of the neck shot or full-frontal shot.
    I did that this morning. Average doe at 93 yards, 6.5 Grendel with 123 grain Hornady SST's. She was hinky and looking at the stand, stomping. I solved her dilemma. In the brisket, facing dead at me. Bang-flop-kick. Of course, no exit.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

45D96AA3-10FA-4024-A50D-9AF2EE1453CD.jpg
    Federal 6.5 120’s if I recall correctly- she didn’t make it 15.
    45AA124A-CFAD-492D-840B-A8E66A515E67.jpg
    Daughter’s first- 155lb and high shoulder dropped him
    In his tracks but again nothing impressive on the exit-
    143 ELD’s
    George Carlin said it best, \'Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are stupider than that\'\'.

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Rat View Post
    I did that this morning. Average doe at 93 yards, 6.5 Grendel with 123 grain Hornady SST's. She was hinky and looking at the stand, stomping. I solved her dilemma. In the brisket, facing dead at me. Bang-flop-kick. Of course, no exit.

Yea, they don’t go far when you send one straight through. Usually just a nice back flip into a pile. It’s very satisfying and lethal.

"This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

75 yards last night on a 90-100 lb doe. 6.5 creed. Corelock 140 I think. Pass through. She didn’t move other than a leg flop. Had second one crosshairs but she saw the leg flopping and hauled ass without a being shot. Actually my first with the 6.5
    Go Tigers!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MolliesMaster View Post
    Yea, they don’t go far when you send one straight through. Usually just a nice back flip into a pile. It’s very satisfying and lethal.

Yeah, that brisket shot is a good one. I’m gonna stomp and snort and look at you, oops, made a bad mistake.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

crab claw DRT, no exit and couldn't even find entrance without searching under the hair. 165 grn 30 06 double shoulders.
    Bled plenty out his nose and mouth after in the truck

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Habit View Post
    crab claw DRT, no exit and couldn't even find entrance without searching under the hair. 165 grn 30 06 double shoulders.
    Bled plenty out his nose and mouth after in the truck
    You would think a slug like that would squeeze on through pretty easy.

Sometimes it just don’t happen and you don’t really know why...

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    .300WM, 200grn ELD-X, at 175yds, calm and feeding, she ran 50yds or so. Same size does 2 days before painted the feeder, the bullet went through her, a 2X4 and the 4X4 leg, she didn’t twitch and fell into a ball.

Attachment 61364
    I shoot that same bullet it’s nasty!
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Quote Originally Posted by mudflat View Post
    I don't think I've gotten an exit would from Hornady .270 130 SST since I've started shooting them, and at times no blood at all. 50% run off and die within 50-60 yards other 50% DRT.
    I have seen the exact same results with this load

My preference is for a good exit, in case of the death run into thick cover. The only thing predictable about a lung shot deer is that the deer's response is unpredictable. Even a slightly muffed shoulder shot will get weird results. One thing I've seen with smaller exits is, of course, less blood. If the hit is higher on the chest it's worse, as the chest cavity has to fill with blood to a certain extent to get good outflow. Otherwise, you're relying on aspirated blood, and that can be light for the first few yards.

I shot a buck back in October a little high in the lungs. 6.5 CM, Hornady 143 ELD-X, 170 yards or so. Slightly quartering shot. On the shot, it disappeared. It was standing in a narrow lane in a cutover, broomstraw grass. I was going for a shoulder shot and thought, well, that deer is DRT and just in the grass. I knew it was hit, as I was shooting with a can on the gun and heard that "whop" distinctly. I walk up. Nothing. No blood. Further search revealed a SMALL patch of hair with a tiny piece of skin holding it together.

This was on an established corn pile so there are several trails that come in there. I carefully started working the trails coming in. Thought I was on him once when I got a STRONG whiff of tarsal stink, but nothing. I worked further out on a trail that I thought was the LEAST likely avenue and find a little blood wipe on some grass about at chest level. maybe 30 yards into the track. After that it was slow, but steady, finding gradually more and more blood until we found him 25 yards past the first blood, piled up. Exit was high in the back of the lungs.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen