Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Exits

Default Exits

David - I have had multiple similar experiences with the Hornady SST in .308.

Minimal blood trails.

The last doe I shot with one was 100yds broadside. I shot high shoulder and bullet exploded on impact, hit opposite shoulder blade, wrecked the guts, and exited thru the deers rear end.

This was the entry.

Entry after skin was removed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Johnny Reb; 12-31-2020 at 09:09 AM.

I stopped shooting SSTs at deer for that reason. They are pretty explosive indeed. Especially over 3000FPS. Not that results like that are bad.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

That doe ran close to 40yds with that damage and no blood trail.

I think I am going to switch back to the federal ballistic tips I shot for years or cheap old Remington core lokts. Never lost a deer with either. And both shoot great out of my rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by nitro5x6's View Post
    So David,

What does the scientist in you say about that? Just curious. Nice shot placement.
    Hard to say. I didn't hang around long enough to see it skinned, so I don't know what it looked like inside. I'd wager that the exit was a fraction of the whole round. Also, the lower velocity = the likelihood of less trauma on some level. That having been said, the bullet DID perform - it's just the lack of a good blood trail. Deer lived about 3-4 seconds, heard it crash so I could kind of track where it was. Sorta. At the shot it bucked up and hauled ass, head down. I knew it was hit right. The vast majority of the blood found was smears up on dog fennel stalks and broom straw.

The Nosler 120 Ballistic Tip is an option I may try on one end of the spectrum, with the Nosler 129 Long Range Accubond on the other. Concerned with case capacity on the LRAB. And it won't be that fast. I'm also following a guy on YouTube who works up loads for his Grendel - he loads the Speer Gold Dots to good effect. Just want something that opens up quick AND punches through.

It's important to me to get a good exit. I will be looking at a few options.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Accubond is my go to bullet for Whitetail in every rifle I shoot . I have had great results with them. TTSX is a close second. May not expand as dramatically as the Accubond, but an exit is almost 100% guaranteed.

As yall know, a Whitetail is going to run most of the time unless you pin shoulders or neck shoot. I shot 8 does in TX recently. All neck shots with 140 grain Accubonds. Some at pretty far distance.. All DRTs. Works most of the time. LOL.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

I am a real fan of Nosler bullets. Partitions still perform as designed. Never had problems with BTs. Extremely accurate. For many years, I shot 165 grain BTs from a couple of my .308s and ran up a pretty long string of DRTs. Switched to Accubonds only for bonded technology. All Nosler bullets shoot very accurately through my various rifles.

I'm not a Hornady bullet fan. Just one man's opinion.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

For punching paper and knocking steel, Hornady ammo and match bullets are hard to beat. I, too, am a big fan of Nosler bullets, as well as Sierra. The Sierra GameChanger is another I want to try.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

I wish I had time for matches. I'm doing good to get enough hours in the deer stand. Maybe in a few years when I retire from slavery.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Red rider, copper BB, 225yds, walking blood trail she made it 40yds.
    1E7F87EE-6AAB-458C-BEA8-C7C5927BE69E.jpg
    29644192-5C5D-4B7F-9F78-1D15D1ADC035.jpg

Nice Whackum.

Quote Originally Posted by Luvin' Labs View Post
    Nice Whackum.
    That thing loves to track a deer by himself.

[QUOTE=Johnny Reb;2828607]That doe ran close to 40yds with that damage and no blood trail.

I think I am going to switch back to the federal ballistic tips I shot for years or cheap old Remington core lokts. Never lost a deer with either. And both shoot great out of my rifles.

I had the same results. I typically use the Hornady Whitetail, but the only thing available at the time was the SST's. Shot a doe at about 80yds, zero blood trail. Took about an hour of looking to find her and she only ran about 40yds. Shot placement was perfect. Haven't shot them since, but have trailed a few for friends using that bullet with similar results.

Glad to know I’m not the only one that experienced lack of blood trail with SSTs.

I shoot 150 grain Hornady SST in my .308
    Also shoot The SST in my 50 cal T/C muzzleloader.
    I have not had any issues or problems with blood trails unless exit is back and hole plugs. (That’s shooters fault not the bullet)
    About 80 deer with them and no problems with recovery or lost deer.

I've had ssts leave red carpets and run 80 yds. I've also seen them leave no blood trail but the deer goes 20 ft and the insides look like a bomb went off. Who knows
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Bumping this. 100yds on this heifer, she didn’t go 20 and went into the field but you could blood trail her on bare dirt. Quartering to me at 100 yds, 130gr Sierra HPBT Out the 6.5.
    791E5EAF-AA15-448C-82EC-4B84ED4D7059.jpg
    Last edited by Whackumstackum; 12-02-2021 at 11:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Reb View Post
    Glad to know I’m not the only one that experienced lack of blood trail with SSTs.

Very similar experiences with the 165gr sst in my .308. I keep pretty close records of my kills. I’ve shot 8deer with a .308 in the past 3yrs shooting 165gt sst. 2 were DRT, none of the others ran more than .75yds but very sparse blood, they were however absolutely wrecked on the inside. I watched a 7pt hit the ground and get back up and run 50yds. I bought 5 boxes of federal power-shocks the other day and I’m going to play with them to see how well the group in my rifle and will probably kill a deer or two with them to see what kind of different bullet performance I get.

I’ve shot a handful with my .25-06 during those seasons as well with American whitetail 117gr and I have a very high percentage of DRT shot with that round ( only one ran the past 3 season, and I was shooting right handed and looking through the scope with my left eye for that particular shot)

The above is not an argument to claim that a quartebore is in any way superior to a .308 but I mention it help strengthen a point I made a while back, having confidence in a rifle. The .25-06 fits me better and feels better in my hands, I can pull the gun up quick and get a good consistent cheek weld every single time. The .308 I have to adjust the cheek pad on the stock, adjust how I’m holding my cheek on the cheek pad to get a comfortable view through the scope. All that goes back to how the rifle is designed and the fact that I can’t get the scope as low as I’d like without interfering with the ability to pull back the hammer and let it down easily if needed. These aren’t big factors when target shooting where I can settle in and take my time. But they play a big role when you’ve got got two seconds to make a free handed shot from a climber.

That aside, I’ve still been less than thrilled with the blood trails and exits from the sst and they were well placed shots that should have left good blood
    Last edited by Duck cutter; 12-02-2021 at 11:48 AM.
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

getting a little woozy here...

probably need to check my blood sugar.

130.1 lbs. 165 grain Accubond from my Tikka 308. DRT like normal. Incredible internal damage. Exit was the size of a quarter. Bout normal. I am supremely confidant in the .308 Win as a deer cartridge. It just works with boring efficiency. I do agree with DC’s statement about shooting a rifle you are sure of.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.