Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Croppie Fishing

Default Croppie Fishing

School Me

I’ll readily admit that a crappie is not a fish I’m particularly skilled at catching on the lake, I’ve never put forth a lot of effort in it either. But I want to learn and eventually be considered a capable crappie fisherman.

Give me some info on the following , brush piles (just dump brush or are y’all building artificial piles?) , beating the banks, trolling, at night with a light.
    Recommendations on a reasonably priced fishfinder/graph, trolling rod setups. I want to start preparing now to be able to try for them as soon as we quit squirrel hunting this year.

Planning to book a trip with snaphunter soon as well so I can pick his brain on some of these same topics.

I’m sure most techniques carry overt anywhere but I’m focused mainly on Greenwood and Clark’s Hill

I’ll mainly be fishing warmer months, not as interested in it when I could be killing deer or chasing a hound
    Last edited by Duck cutter; 12-01-2020 at 08:22 PM.
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Do all the stuff you mentioned. Lowrance or Hummingbird unit with downscan with transducer on your trolling motor. You’ll clearly see the fish if they’re there and a tree looks like a pic of a tree. If no fish keep moving. Slip corks and minnows. Whatever else you said. That’s about it. Just go find fish.
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.

General lake fishing for all species info
    Every lake fishes different- but nationwide points point the way to fish and brushy points hold many limits.
    A good fish finder does wonders- learn how to use it properly- 2 hours looking at the fish finder can equal 6 hours of catching vs stopping in the first good looking spot and catching a couple in the next 8 hours.
    Ride the lake points and drop offs and determine THE DEPTH of water most baitfish are holding in- then fish where that depth has fish, cover and bait= success.
    The very best fishing day of the week is Thursday- it's the farthest from the weekend without the Friday fishermen- you can catch 100 on Thursday vs 10 on Saturday in the same spot. Sunday is the toughest.

That's my 2 cents that have caught lotsa fish and won plenty times

Man you could write a novel off this topic. Your best bet is to find some river and creek channels and just longline troll. You can cover a lot of water and really learn a lake quick. You can do this pretty much all year except in the dead of winter and heat of summer it’s not as productive. In the summer time I like finding docks or brush in 15-25 ft of water and just dropping lights at night. Hardest part is keeping minnows alive when the water temp is 90 degrees. I didn’t grow up fishing for crappies but have become someone proficient in the last three years. Once you learn what to look for you can look at any lake on navionics and have a pretty good idea where to find fish. Also I have a really basic setup . I’m sure if I upped my trolling motor to an I pilot system and live scan sonar system it wouldn’t even be fishing.

Jackie Hite taught me. Leave it at that
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

And the wife and I miss him greatly. One hell of a MAN
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Cut’m, is that tiller steer the only trolling motor you use?

I’ve got one I can put on mine as I’m really not interested in splurging on an ipilot setup for a 1648 Jon
    Last edited by Duck cutter; 12-02-2020 at 05:25 AM.
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Just don't turn your back on that snap hunter fella.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    Cut’m, is that tiller steer the only trolling motor you use?

I’ve got one I can put on mine as I’m really not interested in splurging on an ipilot setup for a 1648 Jon
    Yeah that’s the only one I use. Biggest thing about trolling is speed and length of line out. There’s basic charts online that explain it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck the Duck Slayer View Post
    Ha, you right, he can catch um

Snap can catch the fire out of those suckers.

some of the few good crappie guys I know do a lot of work in the winter.

The “rule curve”/water level fluctuations make them real finicky on Greenwood from Feb-April. Trolling is best way to consistently catch them throughout the year, but night stalking can be really fun when they are on fire. Seems like they only stay around the docks on Greenwood for a month or so and the water level changing plays a big role in that.

You can find decent reports on crappie.com. Look for the State Forum section, then find S.C.

Bass Pro still have the ti2 9 on sale at the Black Friday price($599) I bought this one last week.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/lowr...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Don’t waste time making and dumping brush, your time would be better served marking brush you find..,
    Last edited by BrandonWagner; 12-02-2020 at 11:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DRDUCK View Post
    And the wife and I miss him greatly. One hell of a MAN
    Damned good fisherman, person and BBQ artist

Brush and rice are your friends. Check your pms DC.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Habit View Post
    Damned good fisherman, person and BBQ artist
    Yep. Used to pick me up at the dock. I really miss that Man and what Men stand for.

When I was younger (high school and college) we would haul the boat to Greenwood and tie off to the train trestle around sunset. We’d put out 2-4 floating lights and drop live minnow straight down with a split shot or two. On a bad night we’d catch around 20, on a good night we’d be around 100-150 fish. About as easy as it could get. A little more than half would be small, rest would be borderline keepers, and we usually walked away with a handful of quality fish.

My freshman year of college my boat trailer broke down on the way back to Columbia on 26 outside of Clinton. I got to wave to it from the team bus the next day on the way to Clemson to play that night.

Other than that method, I was never very good at crappie fishing except for in ponds.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck the Duck Slayer View Post

Easy! Lol.
    "...But this is football. This ain't tennis..." --CJ Spiller; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxkNT9IxEu8

Quote Originally Posted by coonsqualler01 View Post
    Snap can catch the fire out of those suckers.
    Thanks. It has become an addiction of mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "...But this is football. This ain't tennis..." --CJ Spiller; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxkNT9IxEu8