Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: If

I watched a bass fishing tournament on the upper Mississippi this morning around 3ish.. it was either that or Nancy Lopez in a US women's open.

I mean I can watch the Kordas.. just not 90s women playing

Y'all are way over-thinking this; Murphy's Law dictates that the biggest fish will, without fail, hit on the lightest setup. You're welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Bart View Post
    Y'all are way over-thinking this; Murphy's Law dictates that the biggest fish will, without fail, hit on the lightest setup. You're welcome.
    This is true. I got a little Accurate BV300 on a 100g OTI rod that's whipped some big fish though, it's a blast to use.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    Only the mythical pink Barbie rod holds more power...

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Only the mythical pink Barbie rod holds more power...
    The Snoopy, Spider-Man and TMNT ain’t no slouches.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Tiagra 30w on custom rods.

Blue/white or green/blue Sailure

Don’t over think it-

My experience tells me that you should match hook size to the line weight. On 50# test, I won’t use anything bigger than a 10/0, and even then, with a really sharp point, it’s a push to get that hook buried at dead bait speed. Lure speeds approaching 10kts is more likely. All of this assumes the bait is close to the boat. If the bait is well astern, line stretch becomes a problem.

I’ll give you an example. The picture below shows an Island Pro. I’ve caught something like 30 marlin on that lure. It gets bites when nothing else will. I’ve caught three in one day on it. It’s THE best dead bait lure ever made for blue marlin.

I brought that lure on a charter a couple years ago. Yes, it was kind of a googan maneuver. But one of the deck hands saw it when he rearranged our stuff, I guess my bag was open when he moved everything. Later on in the day (the bite was slow), he asked if I wanted to put it out. I said sure, but the leader is old and the ends need to be recrimped. Also, if you put it out, use an 80.

He recrimped the leader, sharpened the hook, and picked up a 50. I didn’t say anything, but I knew what would happen. He put a big ballyhoo on it and sent it out on the right long. Too light and now too far. I didn’t say a word. Twenty minutes later, big splash, big bite, nice fish, and that spool went into warp drive. The deck hands started clearing the flat lines and I moved the rod to the angler in the chair. Another five seconds and it was all over. The hook never set. It’s was a simple case of not enough backbone in the tackle. If you’re going to troll big hooks, you need a big reel and heavy line.

E043A61A-0465-4D7C-8A85-9C12FAEF66FD.jpg

Your hook is rusty.
    DILLIGAF

Yes. But you can bet your ass that before it goes back in the water, it'll be shiny and sharp enough to bury in the covering board.

There should be a premium market for old hooks made before shitty chinese metals spoiled the world metal supply.

Good story and lesson, Fish. Well reasoned and presented. That's what you call a teachable moment...

There is a language being spoken here difficult for most to comprehend

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    They should of never stopped making that lure. You could get them on custom order a few years ago, not sure if you can now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

Quote Originally Posted by buckpro View Post
    They should of never stopped making that lure. You could get them on custom order a few years ago, not sure if you can now.
    Yes, sir. I don't understand why they quit, I can only guess that it was a slow mover in their inventory.

I used a lure exactly like this one when I was a deck hand on a charter boat in Atlantic Beach NC back in the 90's. Every time it got wet, it got bit.

My experience tells me that you should match hook size to the line weight. On 50# test, I won’t use anything bigger than a 10/0, and even then, with a really sharp point, it’s a push to get that hook buried at dead bait speed. Lure speeds approaching 10kts is more likely. All of this assumes the bait is close to the boat. If the bait is well astern, line stretch becomes a problem.

I’ll give you an example. The picture below shows an Island Pro. I’ve caught something like 30 marlin on that lure. It gets bites when nothing else will. I’ve caught three in one day on it. It’s THE best dead bait lure ever made for blue marlin.

I brought that lure on a charter a couple years ago. Yes, it was kind of a googan maneuver. But one of the deck hands saw it when he rearranged our stuff, I guess my bag was open when he moved everything. Later on in the day (the bite was slow), he asked if I wanted to put it out. I said sure, but the leader is old and the ends need to be recrimped. Also, if you put it out, use an 80.

He recrimped the leader, sharpened the hook, and picked up a 50. I didn’t say anything, but I knew what would happen. He put a big ballyhoo on it and sent it out on the right long. Too light and now too far. I didn’t say a word. Twenty minutes later, big splash, big bite, nice fish, and that spool went into warp drive. The deck hands started clearing the flat lines and I moved the rod to the angler in the chair. Another five seconds and it was all over. The hook never set. It’s was a simple case of not enough backbone in the tackle. If you’re going to troll big hooks, you need a big reel and heavy line.

E043A61A-0465-4D7C-8A85-9C12FAEF66FD.jpg
    i call bullshit bc you've never kept your mouth shut.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

You're in the wrong forum. Go back to the top and argue with everyone about the virus.

its well known that I am an offshore fishing guru

wait....what virus>?>>??

Yes, sir. I don't understand why they quit, I can only guess that it was a slow mover in their inventory.

I used a lure exactly like this one when I was a deck hand on a charter boat in Atlantic Beach NC back in the 90's. Every time it got wet, it got bit.
    FYI, this thread got me to email them to see if they still do custom orders, they do, 6 week TAT.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

Quote Originally Posted by buckpro View Post
    I have 4 avet EXW50's that I rigged specifically for everything, instead of hauling high speed reels etc. 700 yards of 130lb backing, 200 yard 80 diamond topshot, Winthrop terminator butts, pinnacle XR pro 60-100 rods. Bit much for dolphin but still not a issue and they handle highspeeding excellent.
    I have a couple of those Winthrop terminators and they are pretty awesome