Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hunting Vacations

Quote Originally Posted by murraywader View Post
    Dutch John, UT. Fish the Green River
    50,000 trout per mile. Scenery like you are on a movie set...

Closer, Twentymile Creek in WNC. Walk in. Not a bad 5 mile hike and plenty of fish.

https://greatsmokiesfishing.com/20-mile-creek.html

I looked into that. Never even heard of the place. That is incredible.
    I really like the idea of the Alaska trip too. Around Yellowstone is some fashion is a must.
    As always , you guys come up with the great ideas. This whole thread has got me looking into all of them.

I know timing has to be right but a duck and pheasant hunt in South Dakota would be a good one.

That Alaska trip to the Kenai that was mentioned would be a good one if you're looking for the ability to get out and just explore Alaska outside of just hunting and fishing. The Kenai is a popular spot so you won't be the only one around and you'd have the ability to rent a car and drive to pretty much where ever you'd like.

The Cordova Alaska trip that I mentioned with Bears Den Cabins is much more remote. Cordova is a town of about 2000 people. You can't drive there so there isn't much tourism going on. It's more of a "remote" Alaskan trip. I lived up there for almost three years and after exploring a lot of different areas of Alaska I felt that Cordova was more of what Alaska used to be before commercial tourism took over a lot of the better areas. There's no combat fishing, I never saw another duck hunter while I was out on the water, and the wildlife is everywhere since there isn't a lot of people pressuring them. Squatty came and stayed with me for a week during the later part of duck season one year and we had a blast. I lost count of the number of new species he was able to take while there. We shot sea ducks on the better weather days and when it was too rough to hit the bay we had one of the best mallard hunts of my lifetime down at the mouth of the Eyak River. He even managed to shoot a ptarmigan in it's winter white plumage that we jumped off the roadside while we were out exploring. It was very much winter when he was there so the snow was crazy deep and didn't allow for back country travel. It didn't stop us from having a blast though. There's just enough to do in town to make your stay comfortable during the times when you aren't out in the woods or on the water!
    Living in Moncks Corner but looking forward to moving back to the West Coast in 2020 where there are more ducks and less duck hunters!! LOL

RK, I have read your stuff on here for years. Your travels are incredible.
    The info about Cordova is important because I wouldn't know. I know there has to be little towns or contacts of less publicized guides that help make a trip better and not so much a tourist trap.