Thread: Water Source

Default Water Source

The deer processing thread reminded me of something I've been meaning to do. I have an empty spot at the back of my property on the other side of my shop. I'd like to build an open air shed (for lack of a better term) with a concrete pad. Ideally, it will have everything needed to clean a deer and fish except the fridge (that would be in the shop about 10 yards away) and the back half would be where I move my dog kennels too. I'm not too worried about electricity, I can run it from the shop, or just use solar lights, or worst case scenario a drop cord when needed. Water is a different story though. My well is on the other side of my shop, approximately 60 yards away. It would be a pain to have a line dug all the way to this spot, it would be uphill, I'd have to dig up part of my gravel drive, navigate around the shop, just an all around cluster. There is a creek that runs right beside where this would go though. It can get low in the summer, but it never dries up. Mountain stream with a good current, not big at only 2' - 6' across. It is good clean, cold, water.

Is there any good way to pump water to an outdoor stainless sink? Or is it going to be a half measure I wouldn't be happy with no matter what?

a hand pump with a foot valve will get you water to the sink from the stream.

If its not solid rock under you in the mountains, u can rent the trencher that the irrigation people use. Its a big ass wheel with teeth. I buried power to my shop with one total length about the same as yours and a foot or so deep and it took less than an hour. Its not one of those huge ditch witch deals. Was like $125 for the weekend. trench was covered up with a rake, my girls did most of the covering up helping daddy.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

similar to this, run your power from shop while you are at it

"Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.

I have a 20 x 50 open tractor shed with a gutter on the low end that fills a 300 gallon tote with rain water. We use it to spray all of our chemicals.

Might be easier. You could
    Add some bleach every so often to keep the water clean if it sits for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Build a ram pump in the creek.

that's like two if those long contractor hoses.. I'd get two tasteful roll up thingys, buy two hoses, and buy one of those sinks with a hose hook up.. maybe a fork thingy too for other hoses at the cleaning shed. I'd station one roll thing at the shed, and then one at the source. Then just undo at the middle when finished.. Rolling up each half separately won't make it seem as bad.

Quote Originally Posted by thunderchicken View Post
    Build a ram pump in the creek.
    This is what I was thinking.
    http://tektongamecalls.com

Tekton Game Calls

843-290-9569

Quote Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post
    a hand pump with a foot valve will get you water to the sink from the stream.

If its not solid rock under you in the mountains, u can rent the trencher that the irrigation people use. Its a big ass wheel with teeth. I buried power to my shop with one total length about the same as yours and a foot or so deep and it took less than an hour. Its not one of those huge ditch witch deals. Was like $125 for the weekend. trench was covered up with a rake, my girls did most of the covering up helping daddy.

I ran the power to my shop with a ditch witch.
    I could run a line from the well, but it wouldn’t be much fun, and definitely zig zagged.

Quote Originally Posted by huntinghagen#12 View Post
    I ran the power to my shop with a ditch witch.
    I could run a line from the well, but it wouldn’t be much fun, and definitely zig zagged.
    plumbers or contractors on here may know, but you may can bury pex. If so, then how straight it is wont be a problem for sure

Quote Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post
    plumbers or contractors on here may know, but you may can bury pex. If so, then how straight it is wont be a problem for sure
    you can bury pex

Pex might be the ticket.

Ride over and see Eustace. He'll have some hillbilly engineering.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I can eat a bowl of alphabet soup and shit out a thought process better than the vast majority of you clemmings.

It gets cold up in them mountains. Bury deep.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

If the stream has enough flow volume and speed, and the height to the shed wouldn't be too much, you might be able to utilize a ram pump in non-freezing weather.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=ram+jet+wa...245-7__&ia=web
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Quote Originally Posted by Goin Coastal View Post
    Ride over and see Eustace. He'll have some hillbilly engineering.
    Shit, my wife saw him in Publix a while back and he’s around town buying things all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by joeydpga View Post
    This is what I was thinking.
    Same thing here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How high is the shed above the creek?

This is hard to describe, but you can run a 2-3 in PVC pipe in the creek starting upstream at a point that is a couple feet higher than the elevation of your sink. Depending on the drop on the creek, it may take a 200-300 ft of pipe, or it may not even be feasible. Just depends on the elevation drop in the creek. It’s an old time method used in mountain streams to get water from a creek for irrigation without a pump.
    Last edited by BrandonWagner; 11-30-2020 at 05:41 PM.