Thread: Thinking about a 358win, want input.

Default Thinking about a 358win, want input.

As the title states, I have been thinking about buying or making a new deer rifle. I don't need one but, the itch is there to get one anyway. I have 243, 270, 300sav, 25-06, 35rem

I mostly field hunt in Elloree and the areas bordering the fields are often not pleasant to try and get through, bogs, briars, and ditches.

I have a marlin in 35rem and always liked the holes it put in deer. They never go far and the blood trails are easy to follow. I was thinking about it and wishing the 35rem was better at reaching out to touch them so to speak.
    So I started doing research on 35 and 36 caliber rounds. The 35 Whelen just seams a bit much for what I intend to do with it. Same with the 35-284. Then I came across the 358win and was like, "eureka".

I reload.

308 necked up to 358. Good for 200-250 yards with 200gr or 225grn loads.

What am I missing? Any of you have experience with the 358win?
    Last edited by mello_collins; 11-30-2020 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Add information

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.

I own a Savage 99 and a BLR in .358 Win. My experience with the .358 is 200 yard max shots.. Inside of that distance and it's a pretty effective round. ( most of the animal I have killed with it are with factory 200 grain Silvertips ) ( the old style, not the polymer tipped bullets).. The 358 is a pretty capable cartridge with factory ammo. To achieve the full potential of the cartridge you will need to handload.

Inside 100 yards , the 358 is a thumper on deer and hogs. It performs pretty dang well. If I were to build a load, I would look to build a 225 grain load with an Accubond or Partition. Or maybe a hotter load with a 200 grain Accubond - if you can find some. It's a very accurate round in my experience.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Hendershot's does offer custom ammo for the.358 and may be a great option to find a load that suits your rifle and needs. They even offer a Barnes TTSX load.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

I reload

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.

It’s a reloaders cartridge. 225 Sierras Were my go to projectiles. I had a Remington model 7 rebarreled in 358. In a light rifle with full power loads, recoil is stout. I sold mine to a fellow that wanted it more than me. If I was ever to do another 358, it would be in a full sized rifle. I didn’t see a big performance gain over a 308 with a 165-180 bullet. Starline makes brass for it, the Winchester brass was seasonal and hard to find.
    Last edited by FLS; 11-30-2020 at 08:36 AM.

Don’t overlook the 35 Whelen, especially since you reload. I picked up a Ruger #1S in 35 Whelen this summer and have been working with it some. I can load it up or down. I loaded some Sierra 200 gr round nose moving at about 2650 fps. It is accurate and works great on deer. It is also pretty mild from the bench.

35 Whelen is one hell of a cartridge for sure.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

I think I have a new unopened box of 358 Winchester ammo I'd sell... lol
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Quote Originally Posted by Two Barrels View Post
    Don’t overlook the 35 Whelen, especially since you reload. I picked up a Ruger #1S in 35 Whelen this summer and have been working with it some. I can load it up or down. I loaded some Sierra 200 gr round nose moving at about 2650 fps. It is accurate and works great on deer. It is also pretty mild from the bench.
    I wish my 1A 30-06 was an S weight. S is perfect in my mind
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

If you want a cool thumper, have your 35 Remington rechambered to a 356 Winchester. It’s a rimmed 358, in fact you load it with the same dies. It will push a 200 -220 grain bullet 23-2400 FPS out of a 20” levergun barrel. I had a 94 big bore in .356. Cartridge was cool but the rifle sucked. The Marlin 336 ER was the better of the two, but they only made 1500 and they’re high as giraffe pussy if you can find one.
    I’ve bought a second Marlin in 35 Remington to be converted, just got to get off my ass and get it done.

https://www.leveractions.com/leveractions.htm

Are you settled into a bolt action? If not, a .444 or 45-70 would be an option.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

9.3x62mm...
    Rule #2: Double tap

The truth is a lie that will get you killed.

Duncraft Pro-Staff

Deer?