Thread: Epoxy

Default Epoxy

What is the best type of epoxy to use for sealing/flooding table?
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

Most manufacturers make a clear/casting epoxy for this purpose. Regular resin will not give you the clear finish you are looking for when used for flooding.

Now for just a skim coat to seal regular epoxy will work.

I have had luck with the totalboat line as well Leaptech (SC)

https://www.jamestowndistributors.co...-detail/336377
    https://www.carbonfiberglass.com/Res...-casting-resin

Youre looking for wood epoxy i think, Mann Tool has a selection in stock.

I do a lot of epoxy work. This is all I use now https://promarinesupplies.com/crysta...wood-tabletop/

Same for seal/flood coat. I’ve tried others but always go back to pro marine. Order on Amazon or direct as sometimes they will have sales
    Last edited by ElCidRocker; 11-28-2020 at 12:15 PM.

I just shot 3 coats of pre-cat lacquer on a cherry table top last night.
    I was after a slick glass high gloss look
    Came out beautiful.

Table.jpg
    Table Leafs.jpg
    Last edited by ecu1984; 11-28-2020 at 12:46 PM.

Nice job there, Rick.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

This was before the last coat was sprayed and without the 2 leafs in.
    The pics don't do it justice, I like the hardness, gloss and durability of high build lacquer on a table.
    Tricky to spray but setting up the gun properly (tip size, psi, air and material mix, etc) is the key
    Table Full View.jpg

I did my island myself if you want to come to the house and check it out.

94A82203-A5D4-4508-9002-75615E2ACF44.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Indeed, yet I have killed no Jack Miners today, this month, or this season as our boy DHall has. I am more jealous of his awesome pig of a bird than everyone else combined.

First Peter 5:7 "Cast all your care upon God"

Nice tables fellas.

I have an HVLP gun and have sprayed lacquer. Have any of y'all tried the brushable lacquer? In a gloss you won't get the sheen on the above pic, but in semi-gloss and matte, it is a viable alternative for those that don't have a sprayer or even just don't want to mess with the fumes. I have even played around with adding stain to it to tint it and that seemed to hold up pretty well.
    Miner's Daughter's Coal Train 'Rosco'

"The only human quality he lacks is speech" -Alfred Brehm

Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    Nice tables fellas.
    I have even played around with adding stain to it to tint it and that seemed to hold up pretty well.
    The first coat I sprayed on was a "toner" coat, I added about a 1/2 oz. of the cherry stain I used on the table into the hopper of the spray gun, then the next coats were clear.
    The toner coat evens out the color of the stained wood.

Quote Originally Posted by dhall1693 View Post
    I did my island myself if you want to come to the house and check it out.

94A82203-A5D4-4508-9002-75615E2ACF44.jpg
    Will have to do that. May get you to help me with mine. Going to do a counter height bar table with some cherry slabs I got!! Going to use the end pieces to make some end tables.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

Quote Originally Posted by ElCidRocker View Post
    I do a lot of epoxy work. This is all I use now https://promarinesupplies.com/crysta...wood-tabletop/

Same for seal/flood coat. I’ve tried others but always go back to pro marine. Order on Amazon or direct as sometimes they will have sales
    I have been looking at this one. Using this just to do the middle like a river table..…
    Thanks fellas

Not perfect by any means but not to bad for working off my front porch and truck bed!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very nice!

Sweet