Thread: V-max for deer?

Default V-max for deer?

I normally use 110 gr. SST with the 300 blk for longer shots but the ammo shortage has me looking at every option. Is the V-max too frangible for deer?

Neck shoot em and youll be fine
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Not at 300 Blk velocities

My buddy uses them out of his BO for hogs and deer. They’re out of a 10” suppressed SBR and work well at those velocities.
    Last edited by FLS; 11-27-2020 at 06:54 PM.

I loaded some in 30 06 and shot two deer with them. They both ran 3ft, straight down. I was loading it as a youth load only running around 2500 fps.

Default 110 VMAX

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    I normally use 110 gr. SST with the 300 blk for longer shots but the ammo shortage has me looking at every option. Is the V-max too frangible for deer?
    I have killed a few deer with the 110 grain vmax in my 277 Wolverine. Chrono'd at 2500 fps. Results should be similar with 300 BO and 110 vmax. I would say its not "too frangible" but they don't leave an exit wound. But the deer flop over and die from extensive internal damage. I've shot them in the shoulder too and DRT.
    Last edited by tman; 11-27-2020 at 07:16 PM. Reason: additional details added
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly