Thread: Kansas move

Default Kansas move

I am heading to Fort Riley (Manhattan Kansas) next year as Army Physician there. After deployment for 9 months to Eastern Europe immediately upon moving, I hope to get back to enjoying all the sporting opportunities it has to offer. Any good advice for those who have spent time in the area?

Small chance that I could last minute switch to Fairbanks, Alaska if I determine i can't handle the cold.
    "The best things in life make you sweaty"
    - Edgar Allen Poe

“We need the tonic of wildness...At the same time that we are earnest to explore and learn all things, we require that all things be mysterious and unexplorable, that land and sea be indefinitely wild, unsurveyed and unfathomed by us...”
    ― Henry David Thoreau

Never spent anytime there but I’m not sure there is better deer hunting on a base in the lower 48.

I have discovered this place in the last few weeks and have been doing some research. You have to buy your tag in April so keep that in mind.

I have some experience with that area.

The Flint Hills region is the prettiest area in Kansas.

Lots of public land with good deer hunting, ducks, turkeys and fish.

They have elk there too. Prairie chickens should be close by. Pheasant, quail, and good duck hunting is not too far of a drive.

Quote Originally Posted by led0321 View Post
    Never spent anytime there but I’m not sure there is better deer hunting on a base in the lower 48.

I have discovered this place in the last few weeks and have been doing some research. You have to buy your tag in April so keep that in mind.
    No lie. Im always seeing monsters killed out there, even big Elk.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    “… duckhunting stands alone as an outdoor discipline. It has a tang and spirit shared by no other sport—a philosophy compounded of sleet, the winnow of unseen wings, and the reeks of marsh mud and wet wool. No other sport has so many theories, legends, casehardened disciples and treasured memories.”
    --John Madson, The Mallard, 1960

"Never trust a duck hunter who cares more about his success than his dog's."

Quote Originally Posted by Dawhoo View Post
    I am heading to Fort Riley (Manhattan Kansas) next year as Army Physician there. After deployment for 9 months to Eastern Europe immediately upon moving, I hope to get back to enjoying all the sporting opportunities it has to offer. Any good advice for those who have spent time in the area?

Small chance that I could last minute switch to Fairbanks, Alaska if I determine i can't handle the cold.
    I have a buddy thats doing his Army PA clinical at Ft. Riley

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    “… duckhunting stands alone as an outdoor discipline. It has a tang and spirit shared by no other sport—a philosophy compounded of sleet, the winnow of unseen wings, and the reeks of marsh mud and wet wool. No other sport has so many theories, legends, casehardened disciples and treasured memories.”
    --John Madson, The Mallard, 1960

"Never trust a duck hunter who cares more about his success than his dog's."

Elk tags are hard to get but world class is my understanding. The fishing appears to be world class too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turkey hunted out there in the spring many seasons. I never made it in the fall, but it was beautiful in the spring.
    Vegetarian: Native American for Piss Poor Hunter