Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Retriever Training

Default Retriever Training

Posted a while back about picking up a pup, ended up finding a litter and picking up a black lab female. I’m no stranger to having and raising dogs they’ve all just been hounds. As of now she is 4 months old and doing pretty well with yard work. My son is getting involved and we are having a blast. Is there anything you wish you would have taught a retriever as a pup or something you feel is a must for your gun dog to do?

So far she has been introduced to water, decoys, duck wings, and boat rides. Will stay steady and bring the dummy to hand.

I absolutely cannot stand a misbehaved or sloppy dog in the field or blind and want her to accompany me throughout the season. So, I’m considering sending her off for more formal training. Do any of you gents have any info as to where and how much that will run?

I would show her off but am not sure how to post pics or video. Lol

I wish I’d done better controlling eye contact.

Also wish I hadn’t lost access to training areas around charleston
    Sea Ark 1542 w/ Yamaha 40
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer
    War Eagle 15 w/ 30 Hammer

--------------------------------------------------

"Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler

Quote Originally Posted by catawba View Post
    Posted a while back about picking up a pup, ended up finding a litter and picking up a black lab female. I’m no stranger to having and raising dogs they’ve all just been hounds. As of now she is 4 months old and doing pretty well with yard work. My son is getting involved and we are having a blast. Is there anything you wish you would have taught a retriever as a pup or something you feel is a must for your gun dog to do?

So far she has been introduced to water, decoys, duck wings, and boat rides. Will stay steady and bring the dummy to hand.

I absolutely cannot stand a misbehaved or sloppy dog in the field or blind and want her to accompany me throughout the season. So, I’m considering sending her off for more formal training. Do any of you gents have any info as to where and how much that will run?

I would show her off but am not sure how to post pics or video. Lol
    PM sent

I have been happy with Bay Creek Kennels. Rhett is a good guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Steelin' Ducks is the KRT of suppressors and such.

Implant in their brains how important it is to walk steady at your heel without the need of a leash. It should be second nature that they stick to your right or left side when walking anywhere. No one likes a dog that runs uncontrolled especially afield. Whether you pick right side or left side is up to you. This is something you can train anywhere.

Good luck and enjoy the training, train your dog the way that makes sense to you. There is no cookie cutter way that dogs have to be trained. Enjoy it, it’s really fun watching stuff click in a young retrievers head as you probably already know.

Duck dog basics video was good.

I would add to what FULLCHOKE said and tel you to pick the side that is not your gun side. That way when you’re in the field they’re sitting opposite of where you would shoulder the gun. Not the best to to be blasting away a couple inches over their heads

X2 on Bay Creek. Go to the website and look at Rhett's results.
    Molon Labe
    HRCH Coal's Sparkleberry Cache MH

Whoever you go with, make sure you tell them you want it to be taught 2 sided heeling. It’s not hard to do and it’s very convenient for the dog to be comfortable on either side of you....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelin' Ducks View Post
    I have been happy with Bay Creek Kennels. Rhett is a good guy.
    This.

$600-$800/month is what you’re looking at.

Bay Creek. Rhett is a great guy.

Rhett Riddle. Bay Creek Kennels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by theoldblackdog View Post
    I would add to what FULLCHOKE said and tel you to pick the side that is not your gun side. That way when you’re in the field they’re sitting opposite of where you would shoulder the gun. Not the best to to be blasting away a couple inches over their heads
    I hear this all the time, but by this criteria you would want your dog on you gun side, not opposite.

I hear this all the time, but by this criteria you would want your dog on you gun side, not opposite.
    Yep, you're right about it. People think their theory can work, unless they face a reality. Anyway, in some situations I would recommend to give these best cbd dog treats that can motivate your dog for making everything you need during a training program. Based on common effect from CBD oil, it can also help with anxiety, that your dog may have. Those treats are pretty popular nowadays.
    Last edited by logan48wq; 01-09-2021 at 10:07 AM.

I trained both sides. 90% of the time she is on my left side though as I'm a right handed shooter.

With a dog heeling/sitting on the opposite of your shooting side the majority of your shots will be over their heads, hence they will see the flush/fall/mark a whole lot better. For a right hander, your body naturally swings to the left easier hence, you will naturally favor right to left swings and do more shooting on the left side of your field of vision.

Just my two cents.

Just out of curiosity. What is the going rate for someone to finish a dog? I get a lot goes into it just curious as what one could expect to send a dog off to be finished? Down to directions off whistle and I am curious to what it would run to finish a dog?
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

It depends on how deep into the weeds you want to get. You could easily spend 5k plus when it's all said and done. Very easy to get way higher than that.

Me personally, I prefer to take pride in my own work and training. Not another man's so that I can brag on his work to my hunting buddies.

Rhett with Bay Creek. I listened to others on here several years ago and took my pup to Rhett. I could not be happier with the work Rhett has done, the dog he's become, and the friendship I've made. People on here disagree about most things, but a constant consensus is that Rhett Riddle is an amazing trainer and even better person.

Opposite side of the gun due to noise and I don't want the spent shells hitting the jackass.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.