Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Pirogue Design / Build

Looking good!

Sweet.

Awesome!!! When's the first boat coming out?
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

I'm working through different fiberglass schedules now and am going to build some test samples to check overall thickness. Let me run this one by yal, I've been thinking about just painting instead of gelcoat. I believe you would see a significant weight savings and maintenance would also be much easier (touching up paint as needed). I know polyester resin is not perfectly waterproof but I don't think it would have a huge impact on a boat that doesn't live in the water 24/7.

What about the splinters? Uncoated fiberglass is a bitch on bare skin. It might not be a problem during duck season but I wouldn't want to fish out of one in skimpy clothes season.

I thought most boat builders go with epoxy resin instead of polyester these days, for strength and weight advantages. I've never used the epoxy and have wondered if it's is harder or much more expensive to work with.

Use vinyl Ester resin it’s water proof

Epoxy is about 3 the cost of basic poly resin. I'd guess only tier 3 boats are epoxy. Long term I'd like to vacuum bag these so there would be no issues with stray pieces of fiber, everything would come out with a very smooth finish.

Paint after you pop the boat from the mold? Give it a rip!
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

Hurry up. I want one.
    Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    Monsters... Be damned if I'd ever be taken alive by the likes of faggot musslims.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I am an equal opportunity hater.

I would Gelcoat, you will get a better looking product as you say you want. Easy to add before layup and probably less work than painting after.

PE is fine for this. Are you using any coring or just a glass lamination?

With it that small I’m not sure the weight savings of vacuum will be that big over a good hand layup. A carbon/epoxy one would be cool.
    Last edited by SouthernWake; 07-19-2022 at 05:41 PM.

Steel flex would be a good option too

I just reread this from beginning. You are very talented! I am looking forward to the finished product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I appreciate it Johnny. I'm game to try out any one offs that anyone is interested in. I saw an interesting graphic representing cost of different lamination methods that included consumables/time and infusion wasn't too much more expensive than hand layup once you factor in time savings.

Slow and steady, still working on this. Fixed some imperfections in the mold, re-buffed/polished everything, and currently have 2 coats of wax on it. Also been working on some test pieces to verify thickness, rigidity, density, strength, etc... My samples up to this point have been wet out by hand. This weekend I'm planning to run my first test infusion with vinyl resin and a couple different options of glass and consumables. Missed an earlier question, I am planning to do a 2mm core mat.

How that heater working out for you?
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Works great except I don't use it when working with fiberglass because I've read the fumes are flammable and or combustible

What I thought when you got it. Fire don't go good with resin and stuff
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

didnt know you could sous vide this stuff....
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.