Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pirogue Design / Build

I can see how being concave would offer more stability forward and aft but I don't see how it would change much side to side. I have considered doing a small keel and ending tangentially, but I am considering a convex bottom so it would taper to a flush tangent midship at max hull depth.

I ended up going a slightly different direction design wise. I decided to go with a slightly more conventional design so I wouldn't have to test prototypes and such and could go straight into building a plug/mold. As with most things life has gotten in the way a little, I didn't realize I started this thread almost a year ago now. Currently I have smoothed out the plug to a point I'm pretty happy with, got a guide coat on a couple days ago and don't have too many spots to touch up. I was planning to do a gel coat next and sand up through the grits then polish for my final plug surface.

IMG_20210901_202252902.jpg
    IMG_20210917_120907338.jpg
    IMG_20210929_080312902.jpg

Looking good. Will the mold be one and done or will you be able to pop more off of it?

That's a ton of work but looks great!

What at the specs of the plug?
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

My goal is to be able to make multiples after building the mold. I'll get some updated dimensions.

Sweet.

I have 4-6 pirogues, I lost count cause I have one in the Cypress I can't locate.
    They are the tits but I like em big these days.
    IMO, you will be disappointed in a 13' flatback....it's not long enough.
    Poling one is easy once you get the feel for it.
    The king Chapman it where it's at.....me, another adult, Chesapeake, decoys etc.... No problem..... All that in a cottonmouth and you're short on freeboard!
    Last edited by Calibogue; 10-08-2021 at 09:25 PM.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

I have dozens of pirogues to use at our camp but a buddy wanted me to try out one of his home built rigs. He modified a pirogue design to make it more stable (gave it width), rounded the chine (to slide and be able to spin around on mud) and gave it some rocker in the stern (easier to push pole in reverse). He added a Coosa board top deck to be able to toss water lilies on the deck and layout in the marsh. I'm guessing it weighs 75 lbs or so but it was comfortable to hunt. Didn't track great paddling but slid real nice across mud.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

Whether it's a pirogue or another marsh boat, I still prefer going old school for ducks, especially during early teal!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Barefoot.... Go ahead!
    I hunted turkeys barefoot a few times.... It was odd squishing cold mud up between the toes
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Still making progress, slowly but surely. Learning plenty along the way. Went back and forth on plug finish for a while, came down to gel coat or duratech surfacing primer. Duratech sounded like the right product but was about 3 times as expensive. My time is relatively cheap at this point in my life so I went with gel coat. Hopefully after finishing this one in gel coat I will be able to appreciate the duratech that much more when I go that route in the future. The weather is tricky this time of year but the past couple days we've had highs in the 70's and lows just below 50 (my shop/garage is not heated (yet)).

IMG_20211109_092827512.jpg

Badassed!! I love me a peerow.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Looks good, thanks for the update.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...0?cm_vc=-10005
    I put one of these in my shop last year and boy it has made a big difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

Looks narrow. Sent you a pm.
    Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    Monsters... Be damned if I'd ever be taken alive by the likes of faggot musslims.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I am an equal opportunity hater.

Never got a PM. The beam is pretty inline with other models. Across the top it'll come out around 36" or 37" depending if you include the little flange or not, at the chine its around 24".

Been sanding away, worked up through the grits to 600 wet sanding then polished/compounded today. Definitely not perfect but hopefully it'll work out. Currently have 2 coats of wax on it, planning on doing one more tonight. Going to spray a couple coats of PVA in the morning and then get started on the mold.

Edit- I know I sanded through in a couple spots

IMG_20211203_152537479.jpg
    Last edited by BET; 12-03-2021 at 06:41 PM.

Really thought I had updated this more recently, still been making progress slowly but surely. Trying to have a renewed focus on it recently.

Tooling gelcoat and lightweight CSM

IMG_20211204_105006300.jpg

55228.jpeg
    Last edited by BET; 06-07-2022 at 09:46 AM.

Present day I have 3 to 4 layers of heavier CSM on the whole thing. Working on adding some bracing now.

Attachment 75442

Added some gussets and longitudinal ribs along the bottom. I hit a big milestone a couple nights ago with pulling the mold off the plug. Very pleased with how easy it came off, I was a little worried I got my draft angles off on the rolled gunnel edge. I need to roll it over and fix a few small defects in the mold surface then make some cloth templates and also seat molds.

IMG_20220703_151601562.jpg

IMG_20220711_204924614.jpg