Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pirogue Design / Build

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I found out my boy had grown up one cold ass January morning, jump shooting. It was something we had done since he was little.

I put him in the front piled brush in front of him, and I stayed in the back to paddle with my 75lb hound, who would not stay in my big boat while we left to shoot a small feeder creek.

Jumped the first group of ducks two shots over head, two dead ducks one fell beside the boat. Dog leaned to get it, pirogue shipped some water and we were sunk in no time at all. Both guns on the bottom. The boy learned a lesson about the buoyancy of waders and I learned that he wasn't 60lbs anymore....

I'm 260lbs. I like high sides.
    I've experienced the same without a dog or kid to blame it on. Doesn't take but the slightest dip and you have about 1/16 of a second to level it out without overcompensating before she's sunk or rolled.

The hardest I have seen people laughing is my buddies watching me turn circles and waddle around in a pirogue while picking up decoys in LA. First and last time my skinny no balancing butt is getting into one of those things.
    Carolina Counsel

If you build it like a traditional pirogue, your boat will have a bit of rocker. I would stay with a flat bottom for stability. The more you use one, the more comfortable you'll be in one.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

850C75D7-C81C-4171-A62A-AFF7E7915025.jpg

I stand and push pole mine all over the place. You just have to get used to the primary and secondary stability of the hull.
    Living in Moncks Corner but looking forward to moving back to the West Coast in 2020 where there are more ducks and less duck hunters!! LOL

My oldest son from a couple weeks ago. We had a heck of a week of hunting. Both my boys are at home in a pirogue.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

I would rather be in pirogue over a canoe, kayak, and as of recent, a gheenoe. I may give a gheenoe another shot.
    Last edited by willk; 12-03-2020 at 08:17 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    Monsters... Be damned if I'd ever be taken alive by the likes of faggot musslims.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I am an equal opportunity hater.

Pirogues rock....
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

I still don't know how I got all 50+ of those things on my 25ft gooseneck.....
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

If you hunt out of the pirougue spud poles/holes are a must. You can do jumping jacks in them when they are spudded down well.

Quote Originally Posted by Chasbeau1 View Post
    If you hunt out of the pirougue spud poles/holes are a must. You can do jumping jacks in them when they are spudded down well.
    I sometimes carry pirogues stacked in my big boat and it would be tough if any of them had spud holes. Just a thought. The more you use a pirogue, the more comfortable you will be in one.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have a spud hole pirogue. It's the one that always gets left behind because of that damned spudhole.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

So if a spud pole hole could be incorporated in a location that does not interfere with stacking or normal use that would be the best of both worlds?

Quote Originally Posted by BET View Post
    So if a spud pole hole could be incorporated in a location that does not interfere with stacking or normal use that would be the best of both worlds?
    If you've ever seen a motor mount for a canoe, where you clamp the mount to the gunnels, that's the best of both worlds. you can have your spud hole, and be able to stack them all for transport.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Kind of like a Stick-It Anchor Pin mount. I stack all three of mine for storage and transport. I couldn't lose that ability just to have a traditional spud pole mount. We usually just anchor them when hunting open water and have never had an issue with shooting that way. You have two choices when shooting from a pirogue......1. learn your limitations on swing so that you don't flip yourself. 2. Learn to switch hands and shoot lefty when the need calls for it.
    Living in Moncks Corner but looking forward to moving back to the West Coast in 2020 where there are more ducks and less duck hunters!! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    I sometimes carry pirogues stacked in my big boat and it would be tough if any of them had spud holes. Just a thought. The more you use a pirogue, the more comfortable you will be in one.
    What kind of pirogues were y'all running that trip? I pull up your pictures when I get hassled over having too many boats.

Getting the new hound used to riding early on

465B3436-812C-4AB6-891E-1A64FEA87CB5.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by WNM View Post
    What kind of pirogues were y'all running that trip? I pull up your pictures when I get hassled over having too many boats.
    We scrape together whatever pirogues we can some days, those were flimsy & cheap "borrowed" chopper gun spray and go pirogues. They got the job done tho. If you want a list of what I currently have: 24' Seaark, 19' Keywest, Chapman Cottonmouth, Carstens Pintail, Four Rivers Refuge Runner and Old Towne 119. You have to convince your new bride that there is no such thing as one "do it all" boat, over time she will learn to understand. LOL
    Last edited by cajunwannabe; 12-04-2020 at 03:20 PM.

If this doesn't make sense, I'll sketch it for you.

Concave bottom with a short keel down the center that extends to the tangent of the hull bottom to gunwhale intersection.

Concave gives you stability and, if designed and executed correctly, will allow for nice tracking under paddle and easy sliding over obstacles without tipping.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

Concave bottom would become a suction cup in the mud.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    Concave bottom would become a suction cup in the mud.
    Not with a sweep front to back.

I love mine.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!