Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pirogue Design / Build

Default Pirogue Design / Build

Been playing around with different pirogue design lately and am getting closer to pulling the trigger on building one. Wanted to get some input from some of you that use them more than me. Thoughts on rocker vs no rocker? Flat bottom vs slight deadrise? Transom or double ender? Length (most versatile)? If I like how the boat turns out I will probably pull a mold off of it and build a couple more.

Side View.jpg

Top Down.jpg

Transom forward.png

I like the look but a pirogue definitely needs a pointed bow and stern. I prefer a flat bottom for pushing across straight mud but the 3 degree bottom is interesting. The width looks good but I would stay under 14’. Mine have all been 13’4”-13’8” just depending on the make and model. Nothing better than a pirogue for duck hunting!!
    Living in Moncks Corner but looking forward to moving back to the West Coast in 2020 where there are more ducks and less duck hunters!! LOL

Just wondering, but how does building something like this compare to the weight and price of buying a new Chapman.

PS. If you get the design ironed out I would be interested in buying for one.

Most home built ones are a little heavier but they are Stout . You can also build one for $225-250.
    Last edited by willk; 11-25-2020 at 04:49 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    Monsters... Be damned if I'd ever be taken alive by the likes of faggot musslims.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I am an equal opportunity hater.

Quote Originally Posted by 3 1/2" MAGUM View Post
    Just wondering, but how does building something like this compare to the weight and price of buying a new Chapman.

PS. If you get the design ironed out I would be interested in buying for one.

I considered this a couple years ago. After adding up construction cost, a few tools needed (lots of clamps), my time, and my limited knowledge of fiberglass; I determined the Chapman was much better route to go and knew if I didn’t use it much I could just about get my money back where as it’d be tough to get it back on a homemade one.
    Sea Ark 1542 w/ Yamaha 40
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer
    War Eagle 15 w/ 30 Hammer

--------------------------------------------------

"Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler

I already have all the glassing tools and some experience with my high tide project. I know my prototype will probably be a little on the heavy side but I plan on vacuum bagging if I produce more.

Quote Originally Posted by BET View Post
    I already have all the glassing tools and some experience with my high tide project. I know my prototype will probably be a little on the heavy side but I plan on vacuum bagging if I produce more.
    Vacuum bag foam core would be interesting.

That's kinda what I'm thinking. I think foam core would be a little pricey for a pirogue but I'm looking at some bulking mat to space out the glass a little.

Looking for some design input before I start building

What will you be using it for mostly?
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

I don't know how the 3 degree bottom would affect it, but one of the things I like about my Chapman is that I can nose up to a log up to an inch or two above the water and "scoot" my way over it, even in deeper moving water. A little side tilt might make that harder, but I imagine it would make it track better and paddle easier.

I've pretty much decided to split my design into two different boats instead of trying to combine them. I'm looking at doing a very traditional flat bottom double ender pirogue and then a little longer boat with a flat transom and slight deadrise.

Can’t wait to see your finished product! Especially the molded one!
    Living in Moncks Corner but looking forward to moving back to the West Coast in 2020 where there are more ducks and less duck hunters!! LOL

Here is an updated conventional pirogue design. Thoughts on side height? You guys wish they were higher or lower on your own boats?

Pirogue Side.jpg

I’ll have to measure mine on my Chapmans. I do with they were a little higher but I’m a big guy at 250lbs. When I load one down with myself, 8doz decoys, a blind bag, and other gear there isn’t much freeboard left!

The only time I've thought that my Chapman sides were too low was when we had 400 pounds of people, 200 pounds of deer, and 50 more of gear and mud in it. An inch or two higher probably wouldn't hurt the concealability or anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by BET View Post
    That's kinda what I'm thinking. I think foam core would be a little pricey for a pirogue but I'm looking at some bulking mat to space out the glass a little.
    For a “cheaper” option you can use insulation foam from the hardware store and hand lay with epoxy resin, assuming you can get the bends necessary. For the size of it I doubt vacuum infusing offers that much saved weight.

Flat bottom all the way. Pointed nose on both ends without transom. If you weigh more than 200#, be sure it’s a 2-man size.

Quote Originally Posted by WNM View Post
    The only time I've thought that my Chapman sides were too low was when we had 400 pounds of people, 200 pounds of deer, and 50 more of gear and mud in it. An inch or two higher probably wouldn't hurt the concealability or anything else.
    I found out my boy had grown up one cold ass January morning, jump shooting. It was something we had done since he was little.

I put him in the front piled brush in front of him, and I stayed in the back to paddle with my 75lb hound, who would not stay in my big boat while we left to shoot a small feeder creek.

Jumped the first group of ducks two shots over head, two dead ducks one fell beside the boat. Dog leaned to get it, pirogue shipped some water and we were sunk in no time at all. Both guns on the bottom. The boy learned a lesson about the buoyancy of waders and I learned that he wasn't 60lbs anymore....

I'm 260lbs. I like high sides.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I'm 260lbs. I like high sides.
    Hahahaha Sounds like me! I had a Campagna pirogue that was just about the same build as a Chapman but slightly larger all the way around. It was my preferred boat when hauling tons of gear with me. It needed a few minor repairs so when I moved back to California this past summer I left it with my 17 year old in Moncks Corner so that he could hunt from it. I was planning to stop in New Orleans and pick up a Champan Guide model that was about the same size but the hurricane foiled that plan. Now I guess I'll have to suck it up and take the Aqua Pod or one of my Hobie Kayaks when I need to haul everything out. I still prefer the Chapman for light trips or for just paddling around by myself.